Canes @ Gators 6:30 p.m Game 1 on SECn ESPN Plus

Only one hit after the first inning, and that one came in the third. Really was a carbon copy of the regional at the plate.
It’s a carbon copy of Miami/Florida every year. Once a series we get an early lead and let their starter off the hook. Then he settles down and cruises. All while they only get stronger offensively and eventually overwhelm us and win.

Advertisement
Lopez is ostensibly the hitting coach. Assuming Gino is staying, you could now keep Lopez as the recruiting coordinator and hire a more experienced hitting coach with the the third assistant spot.
I just don't understand why they don't reach out to other programs in the offseason. They should constantly try to improve their craft.

They do in in football. I remember about a month after Clemson won a national championship in football, Dabo sent his entire defensive staff to Iowa State to learn their 3-3-5 defense. A national championship team known for its defensive still trying to improve.

The staff should never be satisfied with their teaching methods. They should always look to improve.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I just don't understand why they don’t reach out to other programs in the offseason. They should constantly try to improve their craft.

They do in in football. I remember after Clemson won a national championship in football, Dabo sent his entire defensive staff to Iowa State to learn about their 3-3-5 defense.

Our staff should never be satisfied with their teaching methods. They should always try to improve them.

Have to assume it’s recruiting. UF has Tampa on LOCK. Every kid that plays at a high level here is a gator it seems. Over the past 10 years, there are countless kids who have become gators from Tampa, that Miami has barely reached out to. That’s bs because we have talent here

I really don't need to see anymore games this year to know where this is headed, but I'll keep watching rooting for the Canes.
Gino needs to be released tomorrow so we can move on from Ground Hogs Day.
Not defending Gino. The base running approach are all bad. But, if you think a new head coach would change recruiting strategy or talent pool you’re sorely mistaken.

Advertisement
Can we at least have bs instead of @ in the gm2 thread!
It's about as funny as a LIlly Singh set
Owen Wilson Trailer GIF

I don’t know the dynamics of what the scholarship situation is for Um. Meaning beyond the allotted 11.7 how do they package and make it attractive. I’m sure it’s not on par with Vandy(hopefully one day).

But I think our baseball program needs to be a much more national brand and I’ve said that for years. I think travel ball aside a lot of the kids we recruit from Florida are finished products for the most part other than adding strength which can make a big difference for some but I’m not even sure we have that in place. Schools like UNc have 20+ kids from outside Nc on the roster. A bunch of Acc schools kill it in the mid Atlantic and New England regions. It’s why the power5s in that region were as a whole don’t do well. They can’t keep talent home.

I know Gino likely isn’t going anywhere so I think it’s time he rethinks everything from the ground up. Basically a full program audit.

Last edited:
Not defending Gino. The base running approach are all bad. But, if you think a new head coach would change recruiting strategy or talent pool you’re sorely mistaken.
Why? Vanderbilt somehow finds a way to recruit nationally. So does Notre Dame. There is no law that says we have to rely on south Florida swag showcase talent. Leave the area and find baseball players.

Why? Vanderbilt somehow finds a way to recruit nationally. So does Notre Dame. There is no law that says we have to rely on south Florida swag showcase talent. Leave the area and find baseball players.
While they should expand their recruiting footprint to include the south and the West Coast. Vandy seems to supplement the scholarships more than miami does. One form of help they get from the athletic department that we don't

Advertisement
The best south Florida baseball player to play at miami in last decade and a half was a guy who didn’t even get offered by miami out of high school. Christian Del Castillo. Should tell you how bad the evaluations are in coral gables.

Advertisement
While they should expand their recruiting footprint to include the south and the West Coast. Vandy seems to supplement the scholarships more than miami does. One form of help they get from the athletic department that we don't

It's not a money problem. It's a problem of identifying talent that can be successful in D1 baseball.

To have base runners, you have to hit. So, I guess we won't see as many base running blunders during ACC play. That's a positive.

I'd like to see a change in recruiting philosophy. We don't seem to be recruiting athletes. We only have 2-3 guys in the lineup who run well. Really only 1-2 that steel bases on the entire team.

Give me top athletes that perhaps have low floors, but have high ceilings.

Advertisement
Back