Canes fans: Where ya from?

Ann Arbor, MI
Attended the 1988 game in A2. Classic comeback. Everyone in the crowd seemed to know Miami would try an onside kick except Bo Schembechler. Wore my Miami hat to school the following Monday. My American Govt teacher took it off my head and threw it on the ground. He was a good guy so it was all in fun.
I remember walking away from the stadium and onto the campus after that game. Never saw such sad looking despondent young people in my life. They were truly shell shocked.

A friend of mine was on the team plane going back to Miami. Said the Miami players were singing the Michigan fight song on the way home, making fun of Michigan. I think it's called Victors Valiant, or something like that. The Michigan band played it constantly, the whole way home. Kind of a modern torture.

Advertisement
I am from Parts Unknown.

It is very nice here. I don’t understand why nobody ever comes to visit.
I've tried to go there. They say it's a nice place for a change of pace. But I can never find it on a map and my phone GPS starts buzzing and whirring and making strange noises when I type it in.

I remember walking away from the stadium and onto the campus after that game. Never saw such sad looking despondent young people in my life. They were truly shell shocked.

A friend of mine was on the team plane going back to Miami. Said the Miami players were singing the Michigan fight song on the way home, making fun of Michigan. I think it's called Victors Valiant, or something like that. The Michigan band played it constantly, the whole way home. Kind of a modern torture.
Hail to the Victors.
When we moved to Ann Arbor I was in 2nd grade. First day of music class we sang Hail to the Victors. I think I was the only 2nd grader who didn’t know the words.

I didn't think they were going to get smashed that's for sure. There's a lot of heartbreak within my NFL team. Lol. I'm 43 so I wasn't born for the Purple People Eaters. But 98 really killed me. Randy Moss's rookie yr.
You also missed the great Chuck Foreman, one of the greatest players in UM history. He was a dynamic RB, with awesome jukes and spin moves. He was also one of the best receivers in the league. I loved to watch the Vikings back in that era even though I was a Dolphins fan.

Hail to the Victors.
When we moved to Ann Arbor I was in 2nd grade. First day of music class we sang Hail to the Victors. I think I was the only 2nd grader who didn’t know the words.
I used to meet a lot of ND fans back in the late '80's. I also got to know some UM fans and alums who went to Catholic school, and they told me kids in Catholic school class sang the ND fight song.

Advertisement
Did you have cars parking on you lawn for games? Back in the '50's and '60's, the games were always Friday night at 8:15 pm. Parking was always tight around the Bowl so many of the houses in the immediate vicinity let people park on their lawns and charge them. They jam cars in down the side of the houses toward the back. You'd have cars front to back.

When you walked up what seemed like countless spiral ramps up to your seating it was the pungent aroma of cigars. Never forget that. Now, I never see a cigar smoker. It was so common for men a generation or two older than mine.

Miss those days.
Whoops. Sorry.Said you were born near the OB. I guess you didn't grow up living near it.

I lived in Neptune Beach and my husband taught @ Fletcher. Born in Gainesville (NOT my fault), @ age 5 moved to Jax and graduated HS from Robert E. Lee, then to Univ. Miami, and over 50 years ago moved to Daytona Beach.. Yup, I am over 80 years old and still love my 'Canes.
My best friend from college graduated from Lee

Advertisement
I used to meet a lot of ND fans back in the late '80's. I also got to know some UM fans and alums who went to Catholic school, and they told me kids in Catholic school class sang the ND fight song.
The Nuns should've broken all their knuckles with a Hard *** wooden ruler....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back