Canes fans: Where ya from?

Advertisement
Kentuk. Home of Schnelly’s alma maters, Flaget High and Univ. of Kentucky...and this Saturday is THE Derby, bitghe$

Advertisement
From Okeechobee County, currently work near there.

Best player to still come out of there was Jimmy Jones, who won national championships and super bowls with JJ.

Rick Ross and I have something in common; we made a killin' milkin' Okeechobee, but I only milked milk, and he made millions with something called 'okie dokie'.

..I'm still not sure what okie dokie is.
And Coach Dan Kreidler.

Everglades
Are you the big, hairy, Sasquatch dude that keeps trying to scare me when I’m gator hunting/fishing? If you are then just know I’m gonna get your *** lol.

Must be pretty cool being all the way out there.

Are you the big, hairy, Sasquatch dude that keeps trying to scare me when I’m gator hunting/fishing? If you are then just know I’m gonna get your *** lol.

Must be pretty cool being all the way out there.
Got to dust off the Ape suite and scare the **** out of the tourists on the air boats.

Advertisement
Advertisement
That’s crazy. I grew up in south Florida and was a Canes fan and Vikings fan. I started being a Vikings fan because of Anthony Carter. Then along comes Chris Carter and Randy Moss. That loss to the dirty birds in the NFC championship when Anderson missed the FG was devastating. Now a days I am a Phins fan ESPECIALLY with a black coach and GM. I really hope we make history and win a super bowl.
What was the name of that track guy who went to LSU and flamed out? I think his name was Carter. I think it was his father who started a recruiting service about 20 years ago and it flamed out too. I believe Anthony might have been his cousin.

Coach Duda is still there..

Remember when he played for Maryland. I can't remember who was coach there, it might have been Bobby Ross, or maybe it was Bill Dooley? No, Bill Dooley did not coach there. It was Jerry Claiborne who left VaTech to go to Maryland. I know it was a guy who also had a Virginia Tech connection. I think both did.

I think they were still playing a weird defensive front, it might have been a wide tackle six.

EDIT: In fact, the Bobby Ross team that we played in '84 still used the wide tackle 6. I guess it's a relic in college football now. As is the old Okie 5-2. That was our defense under Schnelly and Olivadotti until JJ replaced it in '85. (Actually, he was sick of the 5-2 and very unhappy with it and during the Purdue game when we had trouble pressuring QB Jim Everett the coaches told Dallas Cameron at halftime, I believe it was, to just do nothing but rush Everett. That was really the transition to the 4-3 which became our attacking defense under Johnson and which became our trademark.

The real transition came in spring practice in '85 after Johnson resolved the intrastaff dispute over philosophy. Bill Trout left as DC and Johnson installed Wannstadt. We played UCLA in, I think, the Fiesta Bowl at the end of the '84 season and the UCLA coaches later said they were very surprised at how passive our defense was in the game. They said they expected a Jimmy Johnson type "blitzkrieg" but were surprised when our DL sat back without a lot of pressure. They said they prepared for the bowl game by watching film from Johnson's Oklahoma State teams.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Born 1 block from the old Orange Bowl and grew up in North Miami.
Did you have cars parking on you lawn for games? Back in the '50's and '60's, the games were always Friday night at 8:15 pm. Parking was always tight around the Bowl so many of the houses in the immediate vicinity let people park on their lawns and charge them. They jam cars in down the side of the houses toward the back. You'd have cars front to back.

When you walked up what seemed like countless spiral ramps up to your seating it was the pungent aroma of cigars. Never forget that. Now, I never see a cigar smoker. It was so common for men a generation or two older than mine.

Miss those days.

I lived in Neptune Beach and my husband taught @ Fletcher. Born in Gainesville (NOT my fault), @ age 5 moved to Jax and graduated HS from Robert E. Lee, then to Univ. Miami, and over 50 years ago moved to Daytona Beach.. Yup, I am over 80 years old and still love my 'Canes.
Great to see that you're still going strong. I guess the heart procedure you had down at Jackson worked well.

Her husband was Doug Davis, our starting fullback for a time in the late'50's. Played with Fran Curci, our All-American QB.

Advertisement
Back