Canes fans: Where ya from?

Grew up in west Kendal. Played at K-land as a little kid. Went to Gkades Jr then moved to Coral reef area. went to Palmetto then forced to go Palmer because my parent thought I’d be dead before I graduated..may have been right .lol. Great time to grow up in the 305. Got to play against the late and great Big Cat Derwin Jones. Was at all county banquet w him, Real nice dude, Gone way to soon. Had Orsen Mobley and George Mira Jr at palmetto. 🙌🙌🙌
I played baseball at South Dade HS and remember playing against Palmetto; Orsen Mobley was a big man and could crush the ball!!!

Advertisement
The question came to mind listening to sports talk while in San Antonio last week. They were talking college football and the media guest said there were only two "true" national programs: Notre Dame and Miami.

He said even though schools like Alabama and Ohio State and Texas and others have huge fan bases, those fans are concentrated primarily in one state or region.

He said with both Miami and Notre Dame, there is a high percentage of the fan base that has no geographic connection to the university or the football program. They were just College Football fans who liked The Canes or the Irish for whatever reasons.

The show's host actually agreed with the media guy on his point, which I thought was surprising for somebody from Texas.
There is no better “good vs bad” than Norte Dame vs Miami which is why it has potential to get the most national interest out of any rivalry in CFB. There are no CFB brands that have a more established identity than these two schools either.

Advertisement
I played baseball at South Dade HS and remember playing against Palmetto; Orsen Mobley was a big man and could crush the ball!!!
He was a really athletic guy. He was a good pitcher too. I think I was freshman when he was a senior and I’d catch him during practice...nice curve ball. He’d fly up and down the BB court and dunk w ease. Football, aside from TE, he played DL and was the punter. Too bad Coke killed his career.

Advertisement
Minocqua, Wisconsin. Got some UM academic recruiting mail my junior year of high school and thought “Yeah, that looks a lot better than -30 in January.” Best decision I ever made.
Holy Crap!!! After my freshman year at UM I taught at Camp Timberlane in Minocqua.

Deerfield Beach for me though! Buuuuuuck Priiiide!!! Went to the U, joined the Corps now in Tampa.

Semper Canes!!!

Advertisement
Not where you reside now, but your hometown where you grew up?

My family bounced around North Florida like some carnival workers, but we probably spent the most time in rural Escambia County (actually closer to Mobile, Alabama than Pensacola) and Daytona Beach.

Not many Canes in either of those places.
North Miami. Went to high school with former CANE Earl Little. Been going to Canes/Dolphins games for 40+years.

Advertisement
Miami Shores, FL. Love my neighborhood. My family has lived here for 40 years. We have two homes here. My parents divorced an my dad built another house close by. He later passed an left it to me.
I grew up in Biscayne Park but played soccer at Miami Shores Rec. My close friend grew up on Cane Concourse right next-door to A.J. Duhe

Advertisement
Back