Canes fans: Where ya from?

Hold My Beer

CANE up in heah
Premium
Not where you reside now, but your hometown where you grew up?

My family bounced around North Florida like some carnival workers, but we probably spent the most time in rural Escambia County (actually closer to Mobile, Alabama than Pensacola) and Daytona Beach.

Not many Canes in either of those places.

Advertisement
The question came to mind listening to sports talk while in San Antonio last week. They were talking college football and the media guest said there were only two "true" national programs: Notre Dame and Miami.

He said even though schools like Alabama and Ohio State and Texas and others have huge fan bases, those fans are concentrated primarily in one state or region.

He said with both Miami and Notre Dame, there is a high percentage of the fan base that has no geographic connection to the university or the football program. They were just College Football fans who liked The Canes or the Irish for whatever reasons.

The show's host actually agreed with the media guy on his point, which I thought was surprising for somebody from Texas.

Last edited:
The question came to mind listening to sports talk while in San Antonio last week. They were talking college football and the media guest said there were only two "true" national programs in college football: Notre Dame and Miami.

He said even though schools like Alabama and Ohio State and Texas and others have huge fan bases, those fans are concentrated primarily in one state or region.

He said with both Miami and Notre Dame, there is a high percentage of the fan base that has no geographic connection to the university or the football program. They were just College Football fans who liked The Canes or the Irish for whatever reasons.

The show's host actually agreed with the media guy on his point, which I thought was surprising for somebody from Texas.

I would say that you MIGHT be able to include Southern Cal in that discussion, there were a ton of people NOT from SoCal who were captivated by USC's running game in the 1960s and 70s, and became big fans.

Michigan and Ohio Taint would be in the discussion IF IF IF you counted all the people who moved away from those states to other places in the US. They do have large fanbases outside of their home state, but, yeah, mostly transplants.

But UM and ND are the primary "adopted" fanbases, with USC running third. All are private schools with a strong identity, which makes sense.

Advertisement
But UM and ND are the primary "adopted" fanbases.
Good point and interesting to see where posters on this site are from since it seems like a wide cross-section of UM fans

Dade, Broward and Palm Beach?

The rest of Florida?

Or the other 49 states and so on?

Advertisement
Myrtle Beach SC! Been a cane fan since I was 10 so around 98 I remember Edge bein drafted an ballin with the Colts. What I liked about the canes is there speed seemed like they always had players that could change the game quik. But ya there overall team speed is why I became a fan. Ya I hoped on the bandwagon then have no South Florida ties but we haven't won **** past 18 or 19 years but I love my ****** team since a lil boy playin pee wee I'm 33 now an can't wait till we get back on top!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back