Canes fans: Where ya from?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not where you reside now, but your hometown where you grew up?

My family bounced around North Florida like some carnival workers, but we probably spent the most time in rural Escambia County (actually closer to Mobile, Alabama than Pensacola) and Daytona Beach.

Not many Canes in either of those places.
I'm an Escambia County boy myself, grew up in Cantonment. I went to Tate and was a sophomore when we beat Columbus for the State Championship in 1980. When I was younger I was a HUGE Dolphins fan, **** I didn't even know there was such a thing as The University of Miami. But a senior on my HS team (Danny Brown) got a schollie to The U. I was an instant fan. When they won their first NC a couple of years later it cemented it and I've been a fan ever since. There are very few of us up here, mostly Row Tye Retards, Turds, and Semenholes.

The question came to mind listening to sports talk while in San Antonio last week. They were talking college football and the media guest said there were only two "true" national programs: Notre Dame and Miami.

He said even though schools like Alabama and Ohio State and Texas and others have huge fan bases, those fans are concentrated primarily in one state or region.

He said with both Miami and Notre Dame, there is a high percentage of the fan base that has no geographic connection to the university or the football program. They were just College Football fans who liked The Canes or the Irish for whatever reasons.

The show's host actually agreed with the media guy on his point, which I thought was surprising for somebody from Texas.

That's funny haven't listened to any sports shows here but im from Bartow (Polk County )

But i reside in San Antonio now

Advertisement
Ann Arbor, MI
Attended the 1988 game in A2. Classic comeback. Everyone in the crowd seemed to know Miami would try an onside kick except Bo Schembechler. Wore my Miami hat to school the following Monday. My American Govt teacher took it off my head and threw it on the ground. He was a good guy so it was all in fun.

That's funny haven't listened to any sports shows here but im from Bartow (Polk County )

But i reside in San Antonio now
Really liked it the short time I was there.
Funny thing is Dallas and Houston are by far my least two favorite cities — and they are two peas in a pod.

But San Antone wasn't anything like either of those two.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The question came to mind listening to sports talk while in San Antonio last week. They were talking college football and the media guest said there were only two "true" national programs: Notre Dame and Miami.

He said even though schools like Alabama and Ohio State and Texas and others have huge fan bases, those fans are concentrated primarily in one state or region.

He said with both Miami and Notre Dame, there is a high percentage of the fan base that has no geographic connection to the university or the football program. They were just College Football fans who liked The Canes or the Irish for whatever reasons.

The show's host actually agreed with the media guy on his point, which I thought was surprising for somebody from Texas.
There are few national "brands" in college sports.
ND is ubiquitous. They captured the Catholic thing which gave them fans across the US and internationally. Doesn't matter that being Catholic has nothing to do with the football team. It's great marketing and it works, much to the chagrin of BC and lots of other "Catholic" schools.

UM's brand is brash, flashy and used to be about winning at the highest level. Our brand has tarnished some because it requires sustained success. ND can suck but the Catholics are still drawn. They still win the marketing battle.

USCw is hollywood when they are good which makes them national; Snoop, Shaq, Will Ferrell, etc. . . But like us they have to be really good to matter.

That's it for football. Michigan gets some love around the country from a large alumni base and often copied helmets in high school. Every other school is regional which makes the game regional when it's SEC v SEC or v Clemson every year. College football needs more than 2-4 states caring about the sport.

Really liked it the short time I was there.
Funny thing is Dallas and Houston are by far my least two favorite cities — and they're like two peas in a pod.

But San Antone wasn't anything like either of those two.
I've only been here almost two years now was just getting used to the city then covid happen lol but I usually spend my free time in Austin or Houston 🤦🏾‍♂️ 😆🤣

When did you grow up?
michael pena tomorrow GIF by CHIPS

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back