Canes Convos: Offensive seniors talk Senior Day, getting revenge on Pitt

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
It will be Senior Day for UM’s seniors against Pitt on Saturday and LT Tyree St. Louis will be playing in his final home game at Miami.

"It's definitely been a long road. It's kind of hard just sitting there thinking about it,” St. Louis said. “I've been here four years and through so many games here in this stadium, just here with my brothers. I'm ready for it. I'm going to miss this place."

What will be the highlight of the game for him?

"It's going to be a little bit of everything,” St. Louis said. “Just realizing everything I do will be for the last time, last time having a pregame warm-up in that stadium, last time walking out, last time playing the game and last time ending with a victory in that stadium. So just a little bit of everything."

The offensive line has been the most criticized unit on the Canes this season, and St. Louis agrees that it hasn’t been easy for the group in 2018.

"It's definitely been tough,” St. Louis said of the O-Line’s play. “I feel like we've tried to stay together and stay as tight as we possibly could. There's been some ups and downs but I feel like we've stuck together as best as any team could."

**Like the rest of the seniors, C Tyler Gauthier will play his final career home game at Hard Rock against Pitt on Saturday and wants to go out on top.

“It means a lot to me. It’s been an honor to be here for four years,” Gauthier said. “For this to be my last game at Hard Rock, it’s definitely going to be an emotional one that is going to be one that I’ll remember forever.”

While the season hasn’t gone as expected in Coral Gables, all Gauthier wants is to finish 2018 strong so that the team can have some momentum heading into the following season.

“It didn’t go the way we wanted at all, but we were able to learn things from it and hopefully we can end this year on a high note and hopefully make them better for next year,” said Gauthier.

Does his still think about last season’s loss to Pitt in the regular season finale?

“They were able to beat us and take away an undefeated season for us. We definitely remember that,” Gauthier said. “That’s not something we’re going to forget. So, it’s definitely something on our minds and it’s something that we’ll say every now and then, too.”

**Five years have come and gone for senior FB Trayone Gray, and going into his final home game at Miami, he says it’s his teammates that he’ll miss the most about being a Miami Hurricane.

“I’m going to miss these guys. I built a bond with them,” Gray said. “It’s my fifth year, just coming along, coming to an end. Now I’ve just got to try to play the best I can, do my job and hopefully come out with the win.”

The Canes will matchup against Pitt on Saturday, and the Panthers bring a struggling defense that can be exploited into Hard Rock Stadium. Pitt’s stop-unit is ranked 75th in total defense, giving up 404.9 yards per game.

“Pitt’s defense, they play physical,” Gray said. “If we protect, they got a couple zones we could hit. So, we just got to protect the quarterback. O-Line’s got to do their job. I got to do my job in the run game, run blocking, and we’ll be fine.”

Gray has taken essentially all of the meaningful snaps at fullback this season, but when he’s gone, Miami will have to rely on true freshman Realus George to replace Gray next year.

“I believe he’ll be able to fill my shoes,” Gray said of George. “He weighs more than me. He could be even better than me, I told him that. I’m not like a real fullback, I just made the transition, but he’s a natural fullback. He’s got a lot of work to do and he could be good in the future.”

What does George need to work on to see the field?

“Just pad level, but that’s [the same for] me too,” Gray said. “You know . . . pad level is one thing [that is important] when you’re a taller guy. Just, conditioning and staying in the playbook, and he’ll be fine.”

Advertisement
To this very day , I remember my coach saying before the last game of each season.

Breath in deeply, smell this room smell your uniform look around many of you will never experience it every again in your lives.

WHY NOT KICK *** TOGETHER THIS DAY .

Fck this fake swag. These last Golden Thanksgiving leftovers from 3 years ago can suck one. Good riddance. Caveat: Except Jaquon (and a couple others) get a pass. Hoping Pitt drops 50 on Mork.
Couldn't even spell Jaquan's name right lol. Yeah I bet you'd get tons of joy seeing the Canes lose

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back