Canes bs Stepson - 6pm - ACCNX

Advertisement
Monster Oops GIF
I completely missed this thread thinking the game was tomorrow so I failed to give a response. I blame myself for the loss.

Advertisement
I'm 0 for 2.

I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue and picked a bad night to make it to my first Canes baseball game in 4 years. Ruff night at the yard.

The game started with a weak error by the Canes 2nd baseman. I was very surprised the official scorer ruled it a hit. It was a lazy effort to open the game by the second baseman, who also had another popcorn error late in the game on what could well have been a double play.

Again, first time seeing this team live this season so I have no perspective on this group of kids, but I know I just watched a sub-.500 Stetson team that is 3-7 in its last 10 games and 4-10 on the road this season look like a college world series team. They had kids throwing 84 mph junk looking like Cy Young out there. Stetson threatened or scored in every inning. Every single Canes pitcher I saw (left after the 8th) looked flat and was getting lit up.

About the only positive I can say is that I was able to get my chocolate banana milkshake.

Losses
2/25 Harvard - 11 runs total; Ziehl - 5 runs (3 earned) in 7th/8th; Scored 6
3/5 Florida - 8 runs allowed; Multiple allow 5 runs in 9th; Scored 1
3/6 Florida - 11 runs allowed; Garland allows 5 ER in 2.1; Scored 3
3/11 BC- 12 runs allowed; Palm allows 10 runs (9 ER); Scored 11
3/16 UCF- 10 runs allowed; Rosario allows 6 runs in 5th/6th; Scored 5
3/20 Clemson- 20 runs allowed; McFarlane 5 ER in 2.1; Scored 5
4/14 VT- 12 runs allowed; Palm allows 6 ER in 3.1; Scored 5
4/15 VT- 13 runs allowed; Ligon allows 9 (8 ER) in 3.1;Scored 2
4/24 Pitt- 9 runs allowed; Rosario allows 6 ER in 2.0+; Scored 5
4/26 Stetson- 12 runs allowed; Garland allows 6 ER in 2.2; Scored 4

A lot of runs in all of them. In 7 of 10 (6 of the past 8), you didn’t get a remotely competitive outing from your starter. Really isn’t one starter to blame. Palm has two, Garland has two, Rosario has one, McFarlane has one, and Ligon has one. In 7 of 10, you’re getting run totals you’d like to think would have you in a competitive game, although some of the scoring is in what could certainly be considered garbage time.

We’ve scored less than 4 runs in just 6 of 41 games (3-3 so credit the pitching in half of them). Two of the 6 are in the didn’t get competitive starts category.

Double digit runs allowed since baseballs were changed:
2022 8 times in 41 games
2021 9 times in 54 games
2020 1 time in 16 games
2019 5 times in 61 games
2018 7 times in 54 games
2017 5 times in 58 games
2016 3 times in 64 games
2015 6 times in 67 games

This is probably a long way of saying I’m still a little skeptical of the pitching, especially with some injuries. We really need competitive outings out of our starters. I trust that will start with Palm on Friday.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Shorter version: We’re 28-0 when allowing 7 runs or less and 0-9 when allowing 9 runs or more. The offense is really competent when given a chance.

Advertisement
Losses
2/25 Harvard - 11 runs total; Ziehl - 5 runs (3 earned) in 7th/8th; Scored 6
3/5 Florida - 8 runs allowed; Multiple allow 5 runs in 9th; Scored 1
3/6 Florida - 11 runs allowed; Garland allows 5 ER in 2.1; Scored 3
3/11 BC- 12 runs allowed; Palm allows 10 runs (9 ER); Scored 11
3/16 UCF- 10 runs allowed; Rosario allows 6 runs in 5th/6th; Scored 5
3/20 Clemson- 20 runs allowed; McFarlane 5 ER in 2.1; Scored 5
4/14 VT- 12 runs allowed; Palm allows 6 ER in 3.1; Scored 5
4/15 VT- 13 runs allowed; Ligon allows 9 (8 ER) in 3.1;Scored 2
4/24 Pitt- 9 runs allowed; Rosario allows 6 ER in 2.0+; Scored 5
4/26 Stetson- 12 runs allowed; Garland allows 6 ER in 2.2; Scored 4

A lot of runs in all of them. In 7 of 10 (6 of the past 8), you didn’t get a remotely competitive outing from your starter. Really isn’t one starter to blame. Palm has two, Garland has two, Rosario has one, McFarlane has one, and Ligon has one. In 7 of 10, you’re getting run totals you’d like to think would have you in a competitive game, although some of the scoring is in what could certainly be considered garbage time.

We’ve scored less than 4 runs in just 6 of 41 games (3-3 so credit the pitching in half of them). Two of the 6 are in the didn’t get competitive starts category.

Double digit runs allowed since baseballs were changed:
2022 8 times in 41 games
2021 9 times in 54 games
2020 1 time in 16 games
2019 5 times in 61 games
2018 7 times in 54 games
2017 5 times in 58 games
2016 3 times in 64 games
2015 6 times in 67 games

This is probably a long way of saying I’m still a little skeptical of the pitching, especially with some injuries. We really need competitive outings out of our starters. I trust that will start with Palm on Friday.
Great insight!!! I think the pitching is a mixed bag of inconsistency. We were all worried at the beginning of the season and then the pitching improved. It seams to have gone full circle where we struggle with starting pitching from time to time and some of the relievers have had bad outings as well.

If you look at our ACC stats, we're just middle of the road in just about every category for pitching, offense, and defense. It's amazing that we're in 1st place given our statistics.

GT is going to be a test. They're one of the best hitting teams in the ACC similar to VT. Hopefully Palmquist gets us off to a good start followed by Ligon on Saturday.

Advertisement
Great insight!!! I think the pitching is a mixed bag of inconsistency. We were all worried at the beginning of the season and then the pitching improved. It seams to have gone full circle where we struggle with starting pitching from time to time and some of the relievers have had bad outings as well.

If you look at our ACC stats, we're just middle of the road in just about every category for pitching, offense, and defense. It's amazing that we're in 1st place given our statistics.

GT is going to be a test. They're one of the best hitting teams in the ACC similar to VT. Hopefully Palmquist gets us off to a good start followed by Ligon on Saturday.
I suppose there’s something to be said for being top half of the league in every facet even if none of them are top end. That’s really been our formula all year: get decent pitching and give the offense time to grind out 4,5,6 runs.

I wish we were a faster starter at the plate. As much as I’ve complained about the starters not giving the offense a chance, it would probably help them to be spotted an early lead more often.

Advertisement
Back