Canes bs GT - Game 1

Advertisement
Hard to find the right words for that one. Palm gave you what you hoped for, but we squandered opportunity after opportunity. Not to the panic button yet but my finger is getting very close.

Definitely time to shake up the batting order although the changes aren’t obvious to me. Villegas, Yoyo, and Dom are probably the standouts to move lower on current form.

Advertisement
A little unlucky tonight. We hit some balls that found gloves. Like Gutierrez in the 8th. Big game tomorrow. Need to get on track to keep the national ranking.
Unlucky - what game were you watching? This ump had the tightest strike zone we've seen all year, and the middle of our order was flailing away at change-up curve balls in the dirt all night long. It happens, but luck certainly wasn't the culprit.

Unlucky - what game were you watching? This ump had the tightest strike zone we've seen all year, and the middle of our order was flailing away at change-up curve balls in the dirt all night long. It happens, but luck certainly wasn't the culprit.
Yep, the only instance of bad luck was the line drive right at the shortstop in the 8th.

It was indefensibly bad tonight. Gaby was unlucky with a great at bat ending in solid contact, but that’s it. Everybody else had their chances, and only CJ came through.

Advertisement
It was indefensibly bad tonight. Gaby was unlucky with a great at bat ending in solid contact, but that’s it. Everybody else had their chances, and only CJ came through.
It got bad to the point, Gino should have stepped in. There is no reason Burke shouldnt have been given a take sign, after those two walks. Same with Dom the next go around. Especially after both of them chasing in their first couple AB’s. I’d even go as far to say, he should have barred the guys from swinging at anything but fastballs first pitch. Nobody made adjustments, so he should have made it for them.

There was a stretch where 4 or 5 guys would’ve been walked in a row if they would’ve left the bat in the dugout. And I counted 9 straight breaking balls that were either swings or balls, in the middle innings. Just lay off of it and the entire game changes. And I know it isn’t that easy, especially when you’re down in the count. But guys were only down bc they chased early.

His get me over slider was basically a cement mixer. You see a handful more of those instead of his good one, and you score 5+ runs tonight.

VT is beating UVA so our division lead is about to be 1 game.
Not exactly - in the loss column maybe. But, VT had two games cancelled earlier in the year. So, we just need to stay ahead or even with them in the loss column and we'll be ahead of them in %.

It got bad to the point, Gino should have stepped in. There is no reason Burke shouldnt have been given a take sign, after those two walks. Same with Dom the next go around. Especially after both of them chasing in their first couple AB’s. I’d even go as far to say, he should have barred the guys from swinging at anything but fastballs first pitch. Nobody made adjustments, so he should have made it for them.

There was a stretch where 4 or 5 guys would’ve been walked in a row if they would’ve left the bat in the dugout. And I counted 9 straight breaking balls that were either swings or balls, in the middle innings. Just lay off of it and the entire game changes. And I know it isn’t that easy, especially when you’re down in the count. But guys were only down bc they chased early.

His get me over slider was basically a cement mixer. You see a handful more of those instead of his good one, and you score 5+ runs tonight.
And ironically, it's the very thing Gino specifically mentioned in the interview on the baseball home page. I thought for sure our 3rd time ABs they would have been told to take the curve ball until he proved he could throw it for a strike.

Advertisement
And ironically, it's the very thing Gino specifically mentioned in the interview on the baseball home page. I thought for sure our 3rd time ABs they would have been told to take the curve ball until he proved he could throw it for a strike.
He was a glorified gym teacher tonight. He rolled out a lineup and let the kids run wild. I know these kids are good, but my god how many times do you watch the same thing happen before you step in and do your job? And then you add in not walking Parada. Dude was a spectator at best all night. Surprised he wasn’t posting on this board with the rest of us.

He was a glorified gym teacher tonight. He rolled out a lineup and let the kids run wild. I know these kids are good, but my god how many times do you watch the same thing happen before you step in and do your job? And then you add in not walking Parada. Dude was a spectator at best all night. Surprised he wasn’t posting on this board with the rest of us.
This late in the season with so much on the line coming off 2 ugly b2b losses and this is what we got from Gino tonight? I’m concerned

Ya, he's got to find a way to win tomorrow and snap this losing streak. This year has been too good to not do your best coaching of the year, right now. Even if we lose Sunday, we're Ok if we just don't get swept.

Advertisement
Ya, he's got to find a way to win tomorrow and snap this losing streak. This year has been too good to not do your best coaching of the year, right now. Even if we lose Sunday, we're Ok if we just don't get swept.
I disagree. Louisville is playing their best ball of the year, ND is right there and VT is closing in. If we don’t pick it up, you’re looking at 3rd to 4th in the ACC and you’ll be fighting for a 12-16 seed host spot. Bc right now I see this team losing both series to FSU and ND. I think the turn around has to start with this series. It would be a bad loss.

I would have rather seen Gaby swing at the 3-1 pitch instead of just watching it. I know a walk ties the game but a hit maybe brings in two. Dude has to bring his best strike pitch there and has all the pressure on him. Getting to 3-2 puts way more pressure on Gaby imo. The 3-1 pitch was the better pitch to put a quality swing into. But I'm an aggressive batter.

He was referring to the few balls we did hit well.

I agree with you on the umpire's strike zone. The announcers said he was an umpire at the CWS. His zone was more favorable to hitters like a MLB strike zone.

Our guys couldn't lay off the slider and looked awful against it.

Game #2 is a must win or this could turn into a series sweep on Sunday. If we don't get our best out of the Sunday starter, GT is going to score double digit runs.

He was referring to the few balls we did hit well.

I agree with you on the umpire's strike zone. The announcers said he was an umpire at the CWS. His zone was more favorable to hitters like a MLB strike zone.

Our guys couldn't lay off the slider and looked awful against it.

Game #2 is a must win or this could turn into a series sweep on Sunday. If we don't get our best out of the Sunday starter, GT is going to score double digit runs.
We'd better start getting some early leads or it's going to be a long rest of the season. And when we get to the post-season, every 1 and 2 seed will have a closer who throws mid 90's or better. They may not be as dominant as Walters, but they'll be hard to string multiple hits against to stage any sort of comeback.

Advertisement
Back