Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Can’t say it’s worse than Gino. We’ll improve if it’s Pollard but im not a fan. A long time coach and mentor of mine playing was Chris Gordon who was pitching coach there for a few years under him. I’ve had very meh feedback versus his experience in how things are run at Texas.

But Pollard had Jordan Walker signed at Duke. He’s recruited at a small private school with a limited budget. Won there too. Could be worse.

Pollard has won at several smaller schools and, as you noted, he has continued success at a small private school.
He also has a pretty interesting staff including son of a former successful coach (Blankmeyer) at St.John's.
I think he would do well at UM.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Of ACC interest, Rogers has the Penn State candidates as Muscara and Cilento from Wake, McMullen from UVA, and Elbin from VT. Muscara will likely wait out an ACC or SEC job.
Elbin is my boy. I know he wants that Psu job bad. He is a Pa guy.

It should still be Wheels if they gave him an interview. But I’m not sure he interviewed. They also should have interviewed Shehan from D2Millersville and Shevchik from D3 Keystone. They’d kill it.

Anyone following flight tracker for Rad’s vacation return?
I’m on it
1687660026562.gif

Can’t say it’s worse than Gino. We’ll improve if it’s Pollard but im not a fan. A long time coach and mentor of mine playing was Chris Gordon who was pitching coach there for a few years under him. I’ve had very meh feedback versus his experience in how things are run at Texas.

But Pollard had Jordan Walker signed at Duke. He’s recruited at a small private school with a limited budget. Won there too. Could be worse.
Ive said before that Pollard would elevate the fundamentals of this program and win consistently, but Idk that he’s the guy to take this program to a championship level. Definitely would improve it though. As you said, could be much worse.

I just see this as a unique opportunity to hit a home run and return this program to national glory. Hopefully Rad gets the guy to do that.

Advertisement
Rogers finally posted his ‘scoop.’ He says it’s between Pollard and JD with Walter maybe entering the mix. Tulo has faded away. Obviously, we have a more reliable source saying not JD. He says resolution could come relatively soon.
There is no comparison between Pollard and JD. Pollard is a proven winner at places not used to winning in baseball. JD has zero head coaching experience and based on comments from posters on this board is not a good pitching coach. I would be shocked if Walter left WF.

There is no comparison between Pollard and JD. Pollard is a proven winner at places not used to winning in baseball. JD has zero head coaching experience and based on comments from posters on this board is not a good pitching coach. I would be shocked if Walter left WF.
Will never understand why people say they would be “shocked if he left [largely irrelevant program like Wake] to come to Miami.” The Canes are essentially the Yankees of CFB. Incredible history & pedigree. Chance to be competitive in the post-season virtually every year, if the staff does a great job recruiting. Much greater chance of: (1) winning in Omaha and (2) winning one or more CWS titles. It would be crazy not to take the Miami job.

He has lifetime job security at WF and has proven he can win. A couple of bad years at Miami or another top program and people would be calling for him to be fired. This is a coach who donated a kidney to one of his players. While I agree that Miami is one of the top baseball programs in D1 baseball history, I have a feeling that Walter has other priorities. I have never met the man so I can't speak with any first hand knowledge but that is my observation with very limited knowledge. In addition, he has built what WF currently has which may be hard to walk away from. Time will tell and I could be wrong.

He has lifetime job security at WF and has proven he can win. A couple of bad years at Miami or another top program and people would be calling for him to be fired. This is a coach who donated a kidney to one of his players. While I agree that Miami is one of the top baseball programs in D1 baseball history, I have a feeling that Walter has other priorities. I have never met the man so I can't speak with any first hand knowledge but that is my observation with very limited knowledge. In addition, he has built what WF currently has which may be hard to walk away from. Time will tell and I could be wrong.
Many factors you mentioned come into play when deciding on jobs. But in reality, only sentimental ones or not wanting to move, would keep him from taking the Miami job. No competitive coach, with self confidence, that’s not close to retirement, looks at job security over taking a job with infinitely more potential and prestige.

“You play to win the game.” That’s a lot easier to do at Miami than at Wake.

Advertisement
Ive said before that Pollard would elevate the fundamentals of this program and win consistently, but Idk that he’s the guy to take this program to a championship level. Definitely would improve it though. As you said, could be much worse.

I just see this as a unique opportunity to hit a home run and return this program to national glory. Hopefully Rad gets the guy to do that.
I don’t disagree. But short of taking the coach from LSU, UF, or a few other SEC schools (which I don’t believe is realistic) I don’t see a better hire than Pollard.

My top 2 would be the Vandy assistant and Pollard.

I don’t disagree. But short of taking the coach from LSU, UF, or a few other SEC schools (which I don’t believe is realistic) I don’t see a better hire than Pollard.

My top 2 would be the Vandy assistant and Pollard.
Plot twist… Gino was stale and deserved to be let go but I don’t see any current candidate outdoing him with the current climate of college baseball.

Unless you get a massive nil commitment from boosters, scholarship rule changes and another massive permanent seating renovation at the light, mostly things will be almost exactly the same.

This is like firing a football coach that goes 9-3 and telling yourself it’s cfp or bust after that. I don’t see it.

Note: total cost of attendance is now between 78-88k depending on certain factors. Exponentially outpacing state schools like never before

Last edited:
Advertisement

This is bull****, and proof that you know nothing about our program.

Since 1963, we have had exactly 4 coaches. One of them was fired after one year because he bought alcohol for an underage player. Two of them had incredibly long tenures, Fraser for 30 years, Morris for 25 years. And then there was Gino, whose father was on the UM Board of Trustees and who had no prior head coaching experience. So, yes, Miami fans had mixed feelings on Gino, even though he is a UM alum and is UM royalty.

"People would be calling for him to be fired". You just made that **** up.

Last edited:
This is bull****, and proof that you know nothing about our program.

Since 1963, we have had exactly 4 coaches. One of them was fired after one year because he bought alcohol for an underage player. Two of them had incredibly long tenures. And then there was Gino, whose father was on the UM Board of Trustees and who had no prior head coaching experience. So, yes, Miami fans had mixed feelings on Gino, even though he is a UM alum and is UM royalty.

"People would be calling for him to be fired". You just made that **** up.
To be fair, Morris and Fraser were around for a long time and each won titles. Morris maybe last a couple of years longer than he otherwise would have because of that and Blake. We have not been confronted with a situation like he described. Gino came closest, and even despite his dad’s legacy, was still at minimum on a hot seat if not a pushed out.

Plot twist… Gino was stale and deserved to be let go but I don’t see any current candidate outdoing him with the current climate of college baseball.

Unless you get a massive nil commitment from boosters, scholarship rule changes and another massive permanent seating renovation at the light, mostly things will be almost exactly the same.

This is like firing a football coach that goes 9-3 and telling yourself it’s cfp or bust after that. I don’t see it.

Note: total cost of attendance is now between 78-88k depending on certain factors. Exponentially outpacing state schools like never before
You mean like getting rid of Mark Richt to bring in Kirby Smart?

That is what we are trying to do here.

And please stop bringing up tuition. It’s a challenge, but nothing that can’t be overcome by a driven coach.

You mean like getting rid of Mark Richt to bring in Kirby Smart?

That is what we are trying to do here.

And please stop bringing up tuition. It’s a challenge, but nothing that can’t be overcome by a driven coach.
Don’t act like it’s a non issue I would say morris and Gino were driven but you can’t change how much the school costs. Need some vandy level creativity to overcome I’m not sure the school is willing to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back