Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I have no clue if Paul is the right coach or not. I do think the age issue is being overplayed. I am 64, and run circles around younger colleagues. Many examples of coaches going strong till 75. Ps Laranaga is 8 years older than Paul. I know most of the folks are sarcastic jest, but many have an element of true feelings, that is way off base and uncalled for.

Continue the fun.

I have no clue if Paul is the right coach or not. I do think the age issue is being overplayed. I am 64, and run circles around younger colleagues. Many examples of coaches going strong till 75. Ps Laranaga is 18 years older than Paul. I know most of the folks are sarcastic jest, but many have an element of true feelings, that is way off base and uncalled for.

Continue the fun.
Point well taken but Jim is 8 years on Mainieri. Jim has been reinvigorated. Nobody knows if Maineri has anything left in the tank after his time off.

Last edited:
I have no clue if Paul is the right coach or not. I do think the age issue is being overplayed. I am 64, and run circles around younger colleagues. Many examples of coaches going strong till 75. Ps Laranaga is 8 years older than Paul. I know most of the folks are sarcastic jest, but many have an element of true feelings, that is way off base and uncalled for.

Continue the fun.
the age thing doesn't concern me either. In my work expierence there is a big difference between some 65 year olds and others. Not something you can put a red line on IMO

Advertisement
Mainieri has wanted this job for a very long time the timelines just never matched up. A few years to get the program back on track and make a run at Omaha with some top assistants that could take over after a 3-5 year cycle maybe longer, why not?

The rationalization of this board when we get kicked in the balls w Mainieri is unbelievable and sad. Its not about the fact he is 65 - he has had health issues that forced him to leave the game. He could barely turn his head or sit through games. Most LSU fans were happy he retired and claimed he had no fire left. To me, this is a huge dice roll unless he brings in an A+ staff. Keeping JD (if that is the package) isn’t an A+ staff.

For once, in over a decade, show you are serious about UM baseball.

The rationalization of this board when we get kicked in the balls w Mainieri is unbelievable and sad. Its not about the fact he is 65 - he has had health issues that forced him to leave the game. He could barely turn his head or sit through games. Most LSU fans were happy he retired and claimed he had no fire left. To me, this is a huge dice roll unless he brings in an A+ staff. Keeping JD (if that is the package) isn’t an A+ staff.

I wish we had a choice, but it looks like to me like this is a placeholder for a future coach.

Not that I'm advocating, but I think someone posted earlier that he's had a couple of operations and the health issue is resolved now.

Advertisement
Not that I'm advocating, but I think someone posted earlier that he's had a couple of operations and the health issue is resolved now.
He had to have, I’m sure. It was relatively debilitating from what I understand. I’ll text you what 2 LSU buddies sent me concerning the hire. You tell me if you are excited. BTW, they are shocked we didn’t go after Brown from Vandy.

Also not advocating for him, but people are acting like he needs a body double and an avatar because he’s already dead. There are interviews with him from about two weeks ago confirming he’s either alive or the technology has been refined to make it appear so…

Advertisement
I don’t think Manieri would be bad to right the ship a bit.

But not with JD and Brewer. Our recruiting has been crap recently and JD keeps doing less with more. Our development is subpar.
Agree. I posted earlier we need a guy like Manieri had at LSU - Nolan Cain - now under Schlossnagle at A & M. I am not on board with keeping JD - feel like we need new blood/ideas.
Still can't believe we didn't (at least from anything we have heard) reach out to Brown at Vandy.

Agree. I posted earlier we need a guy like Manieri had at LSU - Nolan Cain. I am not on board with keeping JD - feel like we need new blood/ideas.
Still can't believe we didn't (at least from anything we have heard) reach out to Brown at Vandy.
As a pitcher myself, would have loved Brown. A shame.

Advertisement
A veteran head coach that needs a rock star staff to ultimately be successful…

At least we have a hiring playbook…

Nobody said "needs".

But if we hire a 65 year old, then we should at least plan for the future.

And I'm consistent. Go back to my posts from 2 years ago, when most people wanted Larranaga fired. One of the things I mentioned EVEN THEN was that we needed to develop a succession plan, even though I thought Larranaga could and would lead us back from ****, and still had a few years of greatness left in him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back