Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Doesn’t it just feel like this program desperately needs a new guy at the top? We are stale. Boring. There haven’t been new thoughts/approaches brought into this program since Morris was hired.

If Dan just makes a lazy, business as usual Miami hire, it’s going to speak volumes about whatever expectations still exist.

We need an outside, innovative coach to get this thing going. JD is a zero in that regard even if you give him him the benefit of the doubt as a pitching coach (which I don’t personally).

I don't know if I fully agree with stable/boring, but I think there is merit to having a new person put his own stamp on an incredibly successful historical program. Granted, only two guys have done it, but I'd like to see a third guy come in and do what Fraser and Morris have done.

I'm in favor of a new guy, as I've alluded to earlier.

I don't know if I fully agree with stable/boring, but I think there is merit to having a new person put his own stamp on an incredibly successful historical program. Granted, only two guys have done it, but I'd like to see a third guy come in and do what Fraser and Morris have done.

I'm in favor of a new guy, as I've alluded to earlier.
Maineiri qualifies as new and id say motivated. He followed laval with an immediate natty and several cws appearances. Fell off a bit pre and post Covid but a very proven commodity

Last edited:
Maineiri qualifies as new and id say motivated. He followed laval with an immediate natty and several cws appearances. Fell off a bit pre and post Covid but a very proven commodity

Advertisement
Here we go again.

The pitching coach for the #9 seed, who had a couple of pitchers go down with injuries, and the entire post-season was fairly decent with pitching except for two EPIC bad innings?

Perhaps.

We stranded a massive number of base-runners. And that's not an excuse or a justification, it's just pointing out that if we cash in our scoring opportunities, then maybe the pitching looks better and/or you don't make the same two decisions to keep certain pitchers in longer. And I know, I know, we're going to get "yeah, but if we threw our first ACC game or our first regional game, yada yada", but the reality is that Rafe and Rosario did great for us in their spots.

I'm tired of people acting like we had already lost before the games began.

So, yeah, I definitely think that JD could be considered for our pitching coach. I'm not saying he is the key to getting us over the hump to a national title, but he is not unqualified and "only considered" because of the school name on his diploma.

And I'm not a JD superfan or a JD hater. And I certainly do NOT think he should get the head coaching job.
Who's we? I never once posted a word about JD's coaching during the regionals or in this thread. I'm saying that if he was a BC alum, he'd have never gotten the job in the first place. He was made pitching coach right after pro ball with zero experience. How many guys are offered that kind of job at a then elite D1 program with no previous coaching resume? The door was blown wide open for him because he played here. It doesn't mean he's not a D1 capable pitching coach nor does it even necessarily mean he shouldn't be the pitching coach at UM. (Although I could write a whole new post on where he's failed as a pitching coach)

To take it a step further, if he had the same pitching coach career at another D1 school and there was an opening today at the U, would he be on the short list for candidates among the other 297 D1 pitching coaches? I highly doubt it. How do I know this? Because his peers never seem to regard him as a great pitching coach. He was rumored to be a "potential" candidate at FIU in 2018. That's about it.

Now he's rumored to be a candidate for HC? If being a HC was his ambition, he should have long ago spread his wings and gotten an HC job at a lower level or school, learned the ropes, and grown from failure and experience. It sucks uprooting your family every few years, but that's the job. I feel he's gotten too comfortable in his role and he's basically content to vulture the HC job from someone who's put in the work using his alum card as a form of affirmative action.

I am remaining optimistic with this, as I am getting the vibes similar to when Mario was hired. We had all kinds of "insider" info saying we were going to get ******* number 1 or ******* number 2 for sure, meanwhile Mario had his deal going behind the scenes. Optimism.....or maybe I am just an idiot......

Advertisement
I am remaining optimistic with this, as I am getting the vibes similar to when Mario was hired. We had all kinds of "insider" info saying we were going to get ******* number 1 or ******* number 2 for sure, meanwhile Mario had his deal going behind the scenes. Optimism.....or maybe I am just an idiot......
I won’t call you an idiot but when Kendall Rogers reports something he’s gotten concrete Info and speaks directly to the source before writing it.

Mario in the sense of poaching a coach from a P5 Program and stepping up financially across the board

Or

Mario in the sense of the perception of a narrow search, big money influence, Miami guy a must criteria

Fingers crossed. It is a moment of opportunity for the program. Let’s get it right.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I love the idea of bringing in Mainieri and having him poach Cain to join his staff in the same assistant HC role at UM. That scenario is enticing at the very least. This way, when Mainieri decides to retire again, which more than likely will be within the next 5 years, Cain can step seamless right into the HC role. I’d be down with that.
Cain is a massive recruiter and wants to be a HC. Checks a lot of boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back