Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Here we go again.

The pitching coach for the #9 seed, who had a couple of pitchers go down with injuries, and the entire post-season was fairly decent with pitching except for two EPIC bad innings?

Perhaps.

We stranded a massive number of base-runners. And that's not an excuse or a justification, it's just pointing out that if we cash in our scoring opportunities, then maybe the pitching looks better and/or you don't make the same two decisions to keep certain pitchers in longer. And I know, I know, we're going to get "yeah, but if we threw our first ACC game or our first regional game, yada yada", but the reality is that Rafe and Rosario did great for us in their spots.

I'm tired of people acting like we had already lost before the games began.

So, yeah, I definitely think that JD could be considered for our pitching coach. I'm not saying he is the key to getting us over the hump to a national title, but he is not unqualified and "only considered" because of the school name on his diploma.

And I'm not a JD superfan or a JD hater. And I certainly do NOT think he should get the head coaching job.
I am fine w this logic, but he'd better work a heck of a lot harder in recruiting arms then as pitching coach. As @scane pointed out recently, we're left w Crowther and Scinta from 8 or 9 pitchers in the original 2022 class. That's unacceptable (injuries or not) for any P5 D1 baseball program, let alone Miami.

Here we go again.

The pitching coach for the #9 seed, who had a couple of pitchers go down with injuries, and the entire post-season was fairly decent with pitching except for two EPIC bad innings?

Perhaps.

We stranded a massive number of base-runners. And that's not an excuse or a justification, it's just pointing out that if we cash in our scoring opportunities, then maybe the pitching looks better and/or you don't make the same two decisions to keep certain pitchers in longer. And I know, I know, we're going to get "yeah, but if we threw our first ACC game or our first regional game, yada yada", but the reality is that Rafe and Rosario did great for us in their spots.

I'm tired of people acting like we had already lost before the games began.

So, yeah, I definitely think that JD could be considered for our pitching coach. I'm not saying he is the key to getting us over the hump to a national title, but he is not unqualified and "only considered" because of the school name on his diploma.

And I'm not a JD superfan or a JD hater. And I certainly do NOT think he should get the head coaching job.
My dislike of him as a pitching coach goes back longer to just this season. He is just not a good developer of talent, he has had many chances with big upside pitchers that have not progressed at all under him. I just think it’s telling that a pitching coach at a big school rarely gets a sniff for a head coaching jo. If he was any good, people would be after him.

without question Arod is one of the best ever and knows the game as well as anyone, but many of the best coaches were terrible players or never even excelled as players so being a great player is generally not dispositive when analyzing whether the player will be a good coach. checkmate!

more importantly, when you analyze his CHARACTER, he fails miserably and perhaps fails better than anyone. ****, he's a HOF cheater. he has cheated at every thing he has ever done in life. baseball, relationships with wives/women, friends, family members and business (of which i have personal knowledge). so why would you want someone like him (a serial cheater) to coach your university team. to spite me? then f@ck you because you are not a true fan.

lastly, look at the coaches we have in football and basketball (generally failures in their sports) but men of the highest character. Arod doesn't fit.

My goal here has been accomplished. 😎

I am fine w this logic, but he'd better work a heck of a lot harder in recruiting arms then as pitching coach. As @scane pointed out recently, we're left w Crowther and Scinta from 8 or 9 pitchers in the original 2022 class. That's unacceptable (injuries or not) for any P5 D1 baseball program, let alone Miami.

Completely agree. I am not saying that JD is ideal or has lifetime tenure. But he's not an unqualified guy who got the job because of his diploma either.

Advertisement
My dislike of him as a pitching coach goes back longer to just this season. He is just not a good developer of talent, he has had many chances with big upside pitchers that have not progressed at all under him. I just think it’s telling that a pitching coach at a big school rarely gets a sniff for a head coaching jo. If he was any good, people would be after him.

Fair enough. I'm not championing the guy either. I've already had multiple discussions with @Canesfreak , this would only be the second REAL time that we could actually bring in someone from outside the program SINCE I FIRST ENROLLED in the 1980s. Which is crazy.

Kelly and DiMare were both internal hires and were not as good as our two external hires (Fraser and Morris).

I'm fine with starting fresh, I just wish that there was a clear directive in this regard from Dan. I like him a lot, but with the longtime success of baseball, and the stability of Coach L and Katie, we haven't had to hire a lot of coaches (outside of football) in a while.

This is the big issue with JD. He did a very good job for many years with college pitchability guys, but the college game has changed tremendously overly the last 10 years, and he hasn’t been able to adapt his player development even though we’ve adapted the recruiting profile we’ve gone after.

Fair enough. I'm not championing the guy either. I've already had multiple discussions with @Canesfreak , this would only be the second REAL time that we could actually bring in someone from outside the program SINCE I FIRST ENROLLED in the 1980s. Which is crazy.

Kelly and DiMare were both internal hires and were not as good as our two external hires (Fraser and Morris).

I'm fine with starting fresh, I just wish that there was a clear directive in this regard from Dan. I like him a lot, but with the longtime success of baseball, and the stability of Coach L and Katie, we haven't had to hire a lot of coaches (outside of football) in a while.
Doesn’t it just feel like this program desperately needs a new guy at the top? We are stale. Boring. There haven’t been new thoughts/approaches brought into this program since Morris was hired.

If Dan just makes a lazy, business as usual Miami hire, it’s going to speak volumes about whatever expectations still exist.

We need an outside, innovative coach to get this thing going. JD is a zero in that regard even if you give him him the benefit of the doubt as a pitching coach (which I don’t personally).

Advertisement
Advertisement
Listen sweetheart, you don’t get to join the funeral procession as we’re dropping the casket into the ground.
Listen I listed some under the radar guys that I know can coach because my brother sent kids there lol But I know I’m late.

Tulo ok

Manieri ok

but **** like Powell and JD…wtf

Listen I listed some under the radar guys that I know can coach because my brother sent kids there lol But I know I’m late.

Tulo ok

Manieri ok

but **** like Powell and JD…wtf
I’m not saying you’re wrong, yanno

Advertisement
Listen sweetheart, you don’t get to join the funeral procession as we’re dropping the casket into the ground.

Coffin Dancing GIF

Well if we are going for under the radar lower level guys my buddy Jamie Shevchik head coach at D3 Keystone should get a call. 17 straight conf championships, has been the head coach of the Brewster Whitecaps in the Cape for a few years now. Prob 20-30 kids have been drafted or signed a pro contract during his time at Keystone. Has been to the D3 World Series. Joking aside I think he should be a candidate at Psu. Him or a guy like Shehan at Millersville would do well. But if they are smart they’d hire Wheeler(asst at St Joes). He was the coach at Temple when they cut baseball. Awesome guy, Psu alum, and knows the game.

There are def some lower level guys who could make the jump fo a struggling high level d1 and do great. Miami isn’t the place to try that experiment. I just want someone in place asap to start dealing with defections, graduation, any potential portal interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back