Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coach L doesn’t have health problems
Word is his issues with neck surgeries are healed. Out of the starting 9 hitters for LSU tonight, Mainieri coached 6 of them their Freshman/Sophmore years, the same group of kids that went to Oregon in 2021 and won the Regional after losing opening game. Mainieri recruited 2 others of the starting 9 hitters, only Tommy White, transfer from NC State, so 8 of 9 starting hitters tonight, were either coach (6) or recruited (2), and they supposedly have the best hitting line up in the country. If Mainieri is healthy, and I've seen some speechs and interviews where he looks great, then I have no doubt he is hungry, having followed his career since he was the starting quaterback and shortstop at Columbus High School starting as 10th grader, and I was a big fan of his father, Demie Mainieri (see my previous post).

Advertisement
Word is his issues with neck surgeries are healed. Out of the starting 9 hitters for LSU tonight, Mainieri coached 6 of them their Freshman/Sophmore years, the same group of kids that went to Oregon in 2021 and won the Regional after losing opening game. Mainieri recruited 2 others of the starting 9 hitters, only Tommy White, transfer from NC State, so 8 of 9 starting hitters tonight, were either coach (6) or recruited (2), and they supposedly have the best hitting line up in the country. If Mainieri is healthy, and I've seen some speechs and interviews where he looks great, then I have no doubt he is hungry, having followed his career since he was the starting quaterback and shortstop at Columbus High School starting as 10th grader, and I was a big fan of his father, Demie Mainieri (see my previous post).
I wish you the best Paul

Still not worth it if he’s forced to retain a pitching coach that’s gotten a little too comfortable in his job.

Still not worth it if he’s forced to retain a pitching coach that’s gotten a little too comfortable in his job.
I see your point, but I don't see if they do offer Mainieri, and MAKE HIM keep JD. There are some positives to keeping JD, although I know others will disagree, but have an open mind on this. If Mainieri gets the job, he might think keeping JD will allow him to hit the ground running, and with time so crucial with the transfer portal (both getting and retaining players), given the fact that JD has 1-year left on his contract, I think it would be the way to go. Mainieri tells JD, we make Omaha in 2024 and do some damage, and your name is being tossed around for Head Coaching Jobs or we totally turn this around and when I finally retire for good, then you might be the man. Pitching coaches are very important, but if they have the talent, it is the Head Coach who sets the tone for the mental make-up. I say if Mainieri gets the job, then many people on this forum might be saying it was a good move to keep JD at least one more year. Again, important to hit the ground running.....now ready for comments on whether Mainieri can still run at 65 years-old!

I can't wait for the press conference to hear all the BS about how the search was extensive and this is the best staff they could have assembled. Im sure Arod will be there smiling with his fake teeth handing that check over. JD will give Arod a hug and say thanks for saving my job even though he doesn't like Arod. The 305 will still be in the hands of the 305 and many losing seasons will be on the horizon. Good times.

Advertisement
I see your point, but I don't see if they do offer Mainieri, and MAKE HIM keep JD. There are some positives to keeping JD, although I know others will disagree, but have an open mind on this. If Mainieri gets the job, he might think keeping JD will allow him to hit the ground running, and with time so crucial with the transfer portal (both getting and retaining players), given the fact that JD has 1-year left on his contract, I think it would be the way to go. Mainieri tells JD, we make Omaha in 2024 and do some damage, and your name is being tossed around for Head Coaching Jobs or we totally turn this around and when I finally retire for good, then you might be the man. Pitching coaches are very important, but if they have the talent, it is the Head Coach who sets the tone for the mental make-up. I say if Mainieri gets the job, then many people on this forum might be saying it was a good move to keep JD at least one more year. Again, important to hit the ground running.....now ready for comments on whether Mainieri can still run at 65 years-old!
one of your worst posts Paul

Kind of damning that with all the talented assistants being poached around the country year after year, JD's name never comes up for a HC gig.

Advertisement
If JD was an alum of Boston College, would he even be considered for the HC position at the U much less the pitching coach? Keep an open mind on this one.

Mainieri was a very good coach at one time but I would hope Miami could do better in 2023.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back