Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the **** happened? What. The. ****. Happened. ? If either grandpa or JD gets hired, I will be so disappointed.

Advertisement
Maybe the kid who wants to have a career like: Alex Bregman, D.J. Lehemeiu, Aaron and Austin Nola, Kevin Gausman, Brad Lidge, among the 36 ex-players who made the Big Leagues from his stops at Saint Thomas University (3), Notre Dame (9), and LSU (24). Just to add to that, Mainieri's father Demie Mainieri @ Miami-Dade North in his 30 years had 30 former players make the bigs including 2 HOFers: Mike Piazza, Steve Carlton, and World Series Champions such as Mickey Rivers, Bucky Dent, and Randy Bush (currently Assiastant GM for the Cubs). The thing kids with talent are looking for in a program is one that develops their talent and gets them ready to succeed in pro-ball. While maybe the public doesn't know of the Mainieri tradition for players success in the Major Leagues, believe me the players know or will no when he recruits them. They can look it up!
That’s a well thought out post. Lot of great names. The guy is still 66 years old. When the kids wanna listen to Jay-Z he will turn it off and put on The Beach Boys. It ain’t gonna work bud.

This reeks of a S Fl back room deal, if true. What happened to doing and trusting a professional search?

At least w Pollard or Tulowitski, you'd know you are getting young guys who will work their *** off to build something and develop their players.
Feels like protecting JD’s job in some form or another became the main search priority.

It also seems that Gino really did quit. Hard to imagine Rad drew a line in the sand over Lopez, and Gino refused to do it.

Advertisement
If it is Mainieri, the question is whether we’re getting 2016/17 Richt which would not be the worst hire in the world (and certainly better than JD), or straight into 2018 Richt given his prior health issues.
Is he capable of sitting in a dugout for 9 innings nowadays? Dude was in visible pain for his last couple of seasons in Red Stick. The time to “bring him home,” was after he made chicken salad with North Indiana Parochial’s pro’grum. Howevah, on his deathbed, he’s better than Gino.

That’s a well thought out post. Lot of great names. The guy is still 66 years old. When the kids wanna listen to Jay-Z he will turn it off and put on The Beach Boys. It ain’t gonna work bud.
I know, right? Just look at the miserable failure that Coach L has been for the basketball team.

Is he capable of sitting in a dugout for 9 innings nowadays? Dude was in visible pain for his last couple of seasons in Red Stick. The time to “bring him home,” was after he made chicken salad with North Indiana Parochial’s pro’grum. Howevah, on his deathbed, he’s better than Gino.
I have 2 buddies from NOLA (one played at Univ of NOLA (under the current Wake coach)). Both said they question his drive at this age. They are stunned he is in the conversation. Both think we can do way better.

Advertisement
In his last 9 years of coaching (not counting 2020 due to COVID no Tournaments) Mainieri won 7 Regional Tournaments, 3 Super Regionals, Runner-Up National Championship, in those years his team was eliminated by the eventual National Champion 4 times. I know you are dug in on this opinion, but as far as the "too old theme", how did that UM baskeball coach do this year @ 73 years-old? Didn't he make the Final 4? Great coaching don't get old. But dig in my friend. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as am I! Stay well and keep posting with enthusiam. I enjoy reading your takes.

I hear you, but this is rationalization/mitigation mode. We shouldn’t even be asking ourselves this question.
Hard to argue with this. I’d have to talk to his doctor isn’t what you want to be saying about a potential new head coach, especially when he would seemingly be taking the job on precondition of keeping the struggling pitching coach.

Advertisement
In his last 9 years of coaching (not counting 2020 due to COVID no Tournaments) Mainieri won 7 Regional Tournaments, 3 Super Regionals, Runner-Up National Championship, in those years his team was eliminated by the eventual National Champion 4 times. I know you are dug in on this opinion, but as far as the "too old theme", how did that UM baskeball coach do this year @ 73 years-old? Didn't he make the Final 4? Great coaching don't get old. But dig in my friend. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as am I! Stay well and keep posting with enthusiam. I enjoy reading your takes.
The Vandy coach is as old as him - but he had health issues and was fried. The guy is a coaching legend - nobody is going to disagree - he is worshipped by ND baseball fans who wanted him back when Link left. His drive is the issue.

Coach L doesn’t have health problems

Advertisement
I have 2 buddies from NOLA (one played at Univ of NOLA (under the current Wake coach)). Both said they question his drive at this age. They are stunned he
So what you are saying is he never won but he got close. Cool. His health didn’t even let him coach in his last job. Now that he regrouped he is a physical specimen? I heard he was getting checked out by U.M. Doctors today to get clearance to coach. Do you think that’s a little alarming?

So what you are saying is he never won but he got close. Cool. His health didn’t even let him coach in his last job. Now that he regrouped he is a physical specimen? I heard he was getting checked out by U.M. Doctors today to get clearance to coach. Do you think that’s a little alarming?
His 2009 CWS Championship notwithstanding….your point is well taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back