Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
True point. To be honest too…kind of sickening to me, when Coach L is allegedly the 3rd or 4th highest ACC basketball coach after what he has done here, that our history of strong baseball resides with a bunch of pundits claiming we aren’t willing to spend that much on baseball.

I’m not saying in ANY way we are blessed with unlimited funding, but baseball at UM with our history, and the truthfully much lower salaries than football and basketball…to act like it is the men’s golf team..which we are still claiming we aren’t allowed to have due to Title IX…

**** that…baseball is too important to this U..or maybe to me growing up through attendance and after, but either way..c’mon…all of these resources all to football bull****? Cut Mario’s BS salary by $7 mill.

Sorry..but that’s the way I see it
I’m baseball first but the reality is that football pays the bills- even when they suck.

I’d take Arod on it annoying the **** out of @rsa coral gables alone…

+ His baseball acumen dwarfs even the mightiest CIS baseball wizard…
if you want a cheater and someone without any coaching experience to coach Miami just to spite me, then you aren't much of a fan and your acumen is in negative territory.

Advertisement
I’m baseball first but the reality is that football pays the bills- even when they suck.
No doubt, even for basketball.

That reality shouldn’t change us trying to pay near the top end of the baseball spectrum, unless we can all admit we might have overpaid Mario.

We have our football pays the bills programs…and some blue blood basketball runs the roost programs (Duke)…but what school’s AD depends so heavily on baseball that we shouldn’t be able to compete with them?

Sure, we can go down the $EC path, but football and basketball are the bread winners there too..

Let's not pretend that Mainieri would be intended to be here for 20 years. He would be coming in to right the ship and put us in position for a young gun like Jon Jay to take over.
He left bc he couldn’t get over the hump again at LSU. He’d be a placeholder that gets you the same results as Gino, except he might win you a regional if you get a couple of breaks.

Nobody has said we are "not allowed" to have a golf team due to Title IX. Maggot cut it for budgetary reasons and cited "Title IX issues".

We may be able to re-add men's golf and swimming, but we also need to add some women's sports too. Softball is a key.
Relax. I never said YOU said it, I said it has been used as the reason for no men’s golf team. Look no further than so many’s favorite Shalala for that very quote…actually one of your favorites as I recall back then.

Advertisement
No doubt, even for basketball.

That reality shouldn’t change us trying to pay near the top end of the baseball spectrum, unless we can all admit we might have overpaid Mario.

We have our football pays the bills programs…and some blue blood basketball runs the roost programs (Duke)…but what school’s AD depends so heavily on baseball that we shouldn’t be able to compete with them?

Sure, we can go down the $EC path, but football and basketball are the bread winners there too..
Baseball has the misfortune of being large enough that people with money care enough to meddle for personal reasons, but being small enough that nobody is ever going to humiliate you on ESPN for letting them.

Advertisement
Relax. I never said YOU said it, I said it has been used as the reason for no men’s golf team. Look no further than so many’s favorite Shalala for that very quote…actually one of your favorites as I recall back then.

Shalala was a **** good university president. Her AD hires were not good, though Kirby had potential if he had stayed.

Dave Maggot cut men's golf and swimming in the 90s under Tad Foote.

Ultimately, we have to figure out the funding equation. Geographically, we are in the middle of one of the most talent-rich parts of the country for every single sport except ice hockey. But we're still a (relatively) small private school (for Division I-A) and we need to figure out how to add a few more sports (men's & women's).

What kid in their right mind is gonna say, oh Paul Mainieri is the coach at Miami? That's the coach I wanna go play for.

This is a different game, technology is at its peak, everything is cutting edge, the portal is complicated, NIL is another factor, facilities play a huge part in recruiting, and we are gonna hire a 66 year old man who is gonna have a pitching coach who everyone wants gone?

Unless there is a bigger master plan that im missing this program is going backwards not forward. Even if Mainieri is keeping the seat warm for Alex Cora it's still not the answer. I really hope everyone in charge enjoys their weekend with Paul and feels confident about this.

Come Monday when they announce this thing I expect more guys to get in the portal and I expect guys that have been called by Miami to go elsewhere.

Advertisement
if you want a cheater and someone without any coaching experience to coach Miami just to spite me, then you aren't much of a fan and your acumen is in negative territory.

Arod is one of the best to ever play and knows the game as well as anyone. Whether he would make a good college head coach, I have no idea, but seeing you get super rustled balances some of the other outrage on the board…

Plus even the unknown concept of Arod outweighs the known of JD or Girardi and I mean he is a “Miami Guy”

Is Ryan Braun available?

What kid in their right mind is gonna say, oh Paul Mainieri is the coach at Miami? That's the coach I wanna go play for.

This is a different game, technology is at its peak, everything is cutting edge, the portal is complicated, NIL is another factor, facilities play a huge part in recruiting, and we are gonna hire a 66 year old man who is gonna have a pitching coach who everyone wants gone?

Unless there is a bigger master plan that im missing this program is going backwards not forward. Even if Mainieri is keeping the seat warm for Alex Cora it's still not the answer. I really hope everyone in charge enjoys their weekend with Paul and feels confident about this.

Come Monday when they announce this thing I expect more guys to get in the portal and I expect guys that have been called by Miami to go elsewhere.
Maybe the kid who wants to have a career like: Alex Bregman, D.J. Lehemeiu, Aaron and Austin Nola, Kevin Gausman, Brad Lidge, among the 36 ex-players who made the Big Leagues from his stops at Saint Thomas University (3), Notre Dame (9), and LSU (24). Just to add to that, Mainieri's father Demie Mainieri @ Miami-Dade North in his 30 years had 30 former players make the bigs including 2 HOFers: Mike Piazza, Steve Carlton, and World Series Champions such as Mickey Rivers, Bucky Dent, and Randy Bush (currently Assiastant GM for the Cubs). The thing kids with talent are looking for in a program is one that develops their talent and gets them ready to succeed in pro-ball. While maybe the public doesn't know of the Mainieri tradition for players success in the Major Leagues, believe me the players know or will no when he recruits them. They can look it up!

Last edited:
I refuse to believe that JD or Mainieri are the options

FC66096E-D738-418D-93D1-B40AE7A005B1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back