Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Am I dyslexic or did we never get the extra names from Kendall Rogers
Haven’t gotten anything else from him yet. I’ve been hammering him on twitter.
Told us last Friday we’d get a Coaching Hot Board “Tomorrow or Monday” Tuesday he released the small vague paragraph and ended it with “I’ll have much more on this tomorrow” Still waiting on that.

It is at this time that I would like to nominate my favorite player of all time Greg Colbrunn for consideration for the Canes managerial position and inaugurate him into immortality in his first ever reference on CIS (to my knowledge… and I’ve been waiting).

No, he is not a candidate, this post is just for me, and for my childhood favorite player.

P.S. I want Scott Brown, regardless of feasibility.

P.P.S. Scott, give him a call just cause I said so.

A lot more than their competition for sure. Looking at the roster isn't fully accurate - Chlup came from NCST but that isn't shown on the roster - the kid hits 3rd for the Czech national team in the WBC. Myles Daniels says he came from Spartanburg Methodist but went to The Citadel out of high school. Jax Cash says IMG but he went to South Carolina out of HS - he was the top player in the state of SC and a top 100 player in the country coming out of HS. Noah Takac shows his HS but he came from Davidson. Connor Brinson says his HS but he went to SC Upstate.

That's off the top of my head in guys that I know of. Trust me.. I know coaches in several schools in Conf Carolinas, SAC, and Peach Belt. They also have some dude they call "The Nightmare" closing games throwing mid 90s that came from Juco and could have went D1 but didn't qualify due to some home school and clearinghouse stuff.

In March, I was told by an opposing coach that they had nearly 20 former D1 players on the roster and most are legit and contributing at a high level. I counted 9 and then added those 5 so there's more out there not showing. Mount Olive and Erskine used to do the same thing in the same conference but they would roll out 5-6 every year not double digits.

The had 0 former D1 players the year before Powell and then in 2015 they had 11 and then 2016 they had something like 14 including the former starting 1B from Tennessee (Maggio), starting catcher from Tennessee (Houser), starting 2B from Pitt (Hill), a top 300 player in Jae Roberts who got dismissed from South Carolina (then dismissed from NGU in 2017).

Not trying to discredit him at all.. he's done well with HS kids too. Ethan Garner was a great signing and pitched well for them for several years. Pat Monteith tore it up this year and came from HS. The John Michael Faile kid just finished probably one of the most successful hitting careers in the history of the conference and maybe the history of D2 baseball and he came from HS. No idea how he slipped through the cracks for D1 teams.
That took some digging didn't it..I'm pretty familiar with most of those players....but the names you mentioned, they aren't FORMER D1 players.

Those guys never sniffed the field at the D1 school. I understand that you can google all you want and find there's at least a couple guys that got a few garbage time reps at D1...just to be able to support what you said. The fact is that you're wrong.

But the transfer portal helps every school out there, and no you can't discredit what Powell is doing. You're free to keep going though.

What he did last year and this year, after they moved to DII, has been solid.

Advertisement
That took some digging didn't it..I'm pretty familiar with most of those players....but the names you mentioned, they aren't FORMER D1 players.

Those guys never sniffed the field at the D1 school. I understand that you can google all you want and find there's at least a couple guys that got a few garbage time reps at D1...just to be able to support what you said. The fact is that you're wrong.

But the transfer portal helps every school out there, and no you can't discredit what Powell is doing. You're free to keep going though.

What he did last year and this year, after they moved to DII, has been solid.
After they moved to D2? Hate to break it to you but NGU has been D2 for many years prior to Powell getting there.

I didn’t have to google anything. I watched them play 15+ games this year. I keep up with it because I played in the same conference when Powell came in. Played against Hunter Dilworth and then played with him in summer ball and he’s now their pitching coach.

He runs the best program in D2. I’m not discrediting him at all, South Carolina should hire him if they have a vacancy. But no one else out there has 18 kids that have been in a D1 program including multiple kids that started SEC games. Obviously kids that are playing every day at a D1 school aren’t leaving to go to bum ****ed Tigerville SC and D2. I’m not sure why I would have to explain that.

Advertisement
After they moved to D2? Hate to break it to you but NGU has been D2 for many years prior to Powell getting there.

I didn’t have to google anything. I watched them play 15+ games this year. I keep up with it because I played in the same conference when Powell came in. Played against Hunter Dilworth and then played with him in summer ball and he’s now their pitching coach.

He runs the best program in D2. I’m not discrediting him at all, South Carolina should hire him if they have a vacancy. But no one else out there has 18 kids that have been in a D1 program including multiple kids that started SEC games. Obviously kids that are playing every day at a D1 school aren’t leaving to go to bum ****ed Tigerville SC and D2. I’m not sure why I would have to explain that.

LMAO, are you done?

This really is a golden opportunity for the baseball program and for Rad. I hope they don’t f..k this up.
If you had to put odds on f'n this up vs not f'n this up, what percent is assigned to each bucket?

If you had to put odds on f'n this up vs not f'n this up, what percent is assigned to each bucket?
Before I started hearing JD smoke from real sources, I would have said 75-80% that he would make a smart hire following a national search. I would have doubled down following the names Kendall Rogers threw out. Given the recent smoke, I am really disappointed. I’m down to 50% and that is because I’m an eternal optimist.

Advertisement
Before I started hearing JD smoke from real sources, I would have said 75-80% that he would make a smart hire following a national search. I would have doubled down following the names Kendall Rogers threw out. Given the recent smoke, I am really disappointed. I’m down to 50% and that is because I’m an eternal optimist.
The focus is now on one guy and one guy only. Should be happening very soon

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back