Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Did The Crime Dog ever make any cameos at practice?
drew barrymore McGruff GIF

Part of the problem IS that our roster is made up of Miami guys. There is a swag travel ball mentality in south Florida, and we see it play out with FAU, FIU, and Miami every year. Dudes have the exit velo and 60 times at PG showcases, but they’re really not all that good at baseball.

We need to recruit nationally, period.

LOL... no. You dont get to define all Florida baseball players like that and act like you just made a point. Fl is still the most concentrated state when it comes to baseball talent and latin baseball is still a thing, which is what Miami should dominate at.

Gino went after the players he evaluated, but that doesn't mean there were not more well rounded local players he didn't evaluate correctly.

You can cherry pick nationally but you're base is FL and you use your Latin makeup as a selling point to pull in international stars.

Advertisement
LOL... no. You dont get to define all Florida baseball players like that and act like you just made a point. Fl is still the most concentrated state when it comes to baseball talent and latin baseball is still a thing, which is what Miami should dominate at.

Gino went after the players he evaluated, but that doesn't mean there were not more well rounded local players he didn't evaluate correctly.

You can cherry pick nationally but you're base is FL and you use your Latin makeup as a selling point to pull in international stars.
I didn’t define all of Florida. I defined all of south Florida. And one tri-county area does not have enough talent to build a national championship team. We never did it before, and we’re not going to start now.

We need a head coach who will get out of the office and find baseball players, not PG 9.5s. There are baseball players everywhere, and other programs seem to have figured that out.

Last edited:
Troll! You want us to honestly believe a pitching coach, with no head coaching experience getting the job based on his former friends that are in mlb? You’re just trying to stir the pot and you’re not even very good at it
He’s not trolling. And I’m definitely not. Nobody is saying it is a done deal, but he is very much part of the convo.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I was told in February the sole focus of the athletic department currently is on football. If JD is named the guy that only solidifies that statement x100

But I still don’t believe it because I couldn’t even see Blake making that type of move. Manny hire was awful but at least Manny had some buzz to his name in 18. Hiring JD might go down as the most incompetent move in UM history and that’s a scary achievement to have next to your name given what we’ve all endured for 20 years now

I was told in February the sole focus of the athletic department currently is on football. If JD is named the guy that only solidifies that statement x100

But I still don’t believe it because I couldn’t even see Blake making that type of move. Manny hire was awful but at least Manny had some buzz to his name in 18. Hiring JD might go down as the most incompetent move in UM history and that’s a scary achievement to have next to your name given what we’ve all endured for 20 years now
The reason I have trouble believing it is because the main selling point for JD is financial backing but at the same time Gino donated his own money to the program, so why would you hire somebody and make it about money?

I don’t need us to dip fully into giving a **** about baseball, but atleast hire a guy that can lead the program so admin can focus more on Football.

If we hire a JD or another **** coach, then admin will have to intervene. Just hire a McDonnell type and let him do all the heavy lifting so admin can go fiddle themselves with football

South Carolina fans are dying for us to hire Kingston so they can hire Powell.

I played against NGU when they were winning 5 games a year and then saw his first couple seasons there. Impressive turnaround but he’s done it exclusively with D1 transfers. He’s pretty much just out-talenting everyone, not sure how it’ll translate.
Same with Southeastern in Lakeland. It’s a bunch of 22 year old D1 transfers playing NAIA baseball. Not sure how much coaching is actually needed.
You guys might want to take another look at the roster make-up...lol

Not nearly as many "22 year old D1 transfers" as you think.

But hey it was a nice shot in the dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back