Canes back in the mix for 5-star DT Taylor

View as article
Advertisement
Pure speculation but it seemed odd last year with the reports Rumph was essentially fired, then a 180 happened. The only thing I can think is that we had a target CB coach, that plan fell through, and based on what else was available, Rumph was then retained.
I can’t confirm that but I *think* you’re right.

Advertisement
I think Rumph values that bigger body type in a corner a lot more which is fine but the guys we’ve recruited aren’t necessarily playmakers (Al blades is set to make a big jump this year) so whoever is doing the evals I think is starting to take that into account which is why you see a lot more Malik curtis’s and tim burns’s. And you’re right our corners are left on islands in blitz packages but a lot of times it’s designed to be cover zero which I don’t understand with the pass rushers on our team, it’s turns into 1 free because a tight end or maybe a back has to stay in to help a lot of times and all of our safeties except bubba bolden usually recognize it slowly. If you’ve ever wondered why sometimes the safety over the top is a step late that’s usually why
I see what you're saying about the safety when TE stays in to block, but when a back stays in our LBs are usually coming. Sounds like kids need to get their eyes in the right spot a bit too. Appreciate the opinion and i think AB is going to take a step too. outside of flipping 2 birds and losing contain on the fake punt in game 0 i thought he played really well and held up in his first significant time.

But to be honest having great players is the reason why I feel like a lot of the things we do with our scheme are stupid. Like man just put 4 of those horses down on 3rd and long and let them go. You don’t have to be as exotic with better players and our defense has three elite players in my opinion. Two edge and one safety
Man, I feel like I've been saying this since Manny's gotten here. I get sometimes scheming something up. But make that your change up to show a different look. Keep your fastball your fastball to use a baseball metaphor.

Man, I feel like I've been saying this since Manny's gotten here. I get sometimes scheming something up. But make that your change up to show a different look. Keep your fastball your fastball to use a baseball metaphor.

On the flip side, if a DC runs a successful basic defense because of superior athletes, you have fans claiming that he is a dummy and anyone could do his job. See Randy Shannon.

But to be honest having great players is the reason why I feel like a lot of the things we do with our scheme are stupid. Like man just put 4 of those horses down on 3rd and long and let them go. You don’t have to be as exotic with better players and our defense has three elite players in my opinion. Two edge and one safety

Manny is who he is and this d staff are his protégés. His knock has always been being too cute trying to look smart , rather than keeping it simple on third and long. No need to zone blitz or try to hide your coverage. Third / fourth and long let the front four go and have two safeties over the top. That alone wins the unc game.

Advertisement
I see what you're saying about the safety when TE stays in to block, but when a back stays in our LBs are usually coming. Sounds like kids need to get their eyes in the right spot a bit too. Appreciate the opinion and i think AB is going to take a step too. outside of flipping 2 birds and losing contain on the fake punt in game 0 i thought he played really well and held up in his first significant time.
The problem we have to identify though is why our backers don’t know which of them is supposed to be coming lol but we would be here all day with this man. I hate our scheme but I’m not pessimistic. Hopefully landing a Leonard Taylor kind of changes it some as far as what we ask of our DT’s

Manny is who he is and this d staff are his protégés. His knock has always been being too cute trying to look smart , rather than keeping it simple on third and long. No need to zone blitz or try to hide your coverage. Third / fourth and long let the front four go and have two safeties over the top. That alone wins the unc game.

Us actually getting the strip sack we recovered on 3rd down would have helped a lot too......

On the flip side, if a DC runs a successful basic defense because of superior athletes, you have fans claiming that he is a dummy and anyone could do his job. See Randy Shannon.
I see your point but I promise there is a middle ground lol

I’m actually cool with manny’s d, my only knock has been how irresponsible his calls are on third / fourth and longs. That’s not the down to get cute , he calmed it down his last year as the dc, but still.

Advertisement
Fair enough. A blend would be nice, skewing towards letting your best pash rushers go on 3rd and long. All things considered, he has vastly improved the defense overall. Just a minor critique

I’m actually cool with manny’s d, my only knock has been how irresponsible his calls are on third / fourth and longs. That’s not the down to get cute , he calmed it down his last year as the dc, but still.
That’s a better way to put it. I’m not just totally against it. He and baker are just so terrible on money downs it’s like they can’t wait to ***** up a simple thing lol. If you notice we usually give up 3rd downs on the most basic of play concepts. I would also change the responsibilities of the DT’s. Instead of trying to get the de’s free (They will get free anyway) let those tackles play in the backfield a little more

Advertisement
That’s a better way to put it. I’m not just totally against it. He and baker are just so terrible on money downs it’s like they can’t wait to ***** up a simple thing lol. If you notice we usually give up 3rd downs on the most basic of play concepts. I would also change the responsibilities of the DT’s. Instead of trying to get the de’s free (They will get free anyway) let those tackles play in the backfield a little more
They were terrible on 3rd downs in 2017 and they made some changes and were the best third down team in the country in 2018. I'm confident Manny can get Baker to tone down the pointless blitzes.

On most downs, they play a 1 technique DT and a 3 technique DT. The 3 technique is almost always tasked with trying to penetrate while the 1 tech is normally asked to command a center guard double team to free up the other tackle and give the ends 1 on 1 opportunities. It's been like that here since the Jimmy Johnson days. It's why you see quicker 3 tech guys like RJ Macintosh and Gerald Wilis rack up big TFL numbers. They didn't have that penetrating DT last season and I'm not sure they even have one for this season but it's why Rousseau gets kicked inside on passing downs a lot. He's definitely the team's best inside pass rusher.

I've been on this train for a little bit now. I would say 25-33% max fan capacity. With the way the numbers are trending the fan capacity is going to go down. If we're still on this major uptick when the decision needs to be made (like within 3 weeks) then i'm leaning to cancellation or 20-25% fan capacity

25% wouldn't even be worth the cost of staffing the stadium to handle fans.

25% wouldn't even be worth the cost of staffing the stadium to handle fans.
That's where you will find out what is really driving football then huh? Is it about the kids and their chance to play and impress for the next opportunity or is it all about funding your athletic department?

Maybe no season is good for us
So we don’t look silly on tv
And we keep all our early commits

but seriously
If we pull this kid I seriously can not complain about recruiting at all

Advertisement
Back