Canes at UNC - Game 3 - 3:30pm ACCNX

Advertisement
Gino really needs to pick up at least two starting pitchers via the portal next year and I’m really shocked he didn’t do it this year. Wake picked up a guy from Northwestern who’s a weekend starter, UVA got guy’s from Elon and Coastal who are both weekend starters. Not sure what’s coming in recruiting but throwing bull pen games every other game isn’t going to cut it.

Last edited:
One final word on the series and ACC standings.

A very scrappy series for the Canes. There are still areas of improvement needed with runners in scoring position. Pitching is not as desired at times.

However, the team showed it's moxy. Its grit. They didn't fall victim to the walk off loss of game 2 extra innings. They fought hard and earned a much needed victory in game 3 to take the series. The bullpen really came through in game 3. A proud moment for the ball club getting its 1st road ACC series win and doing so against the #13 ranked team on top of it.

Now, for what could have been and what can be.

One strike away from winning game 2. A series sweep would have put Miami only 1 game behind UVA. UVA lost the 1st 2 games of their series against Pitt for a series loss. They are now 11-6. Pitt will go for the series sweep tomorrow.

If Miami could have swept UNC and taken just 1 game at UVA, they would be at 12-6 leading the Coastal by 1 full game over UVA. That's how close and how crazy things are.

The good news is that Miami has 12 ACC games remaining and an opportunity to get another road series win against a ranked team in Louisville. If the Canes could go 10-2 down the stretch, I think they'd have a great shot at winning the Coastal. More importantly is winning all of the remaining 4 ACC series to lock up a post season host bid.

It's been frustrating at times, but it's also been entertaining. Win or lose, I enjoy watching Canes baseball. It's always more enjoyable when they win.

GO CANES!!!!
Don’t waste time looking at standings. The Coastal doesn’t matter. The only thing that does is get you the tie breaker in the conf tourney. And we all know this program would prefer to not even play in the ACCT. Even if winning a couple games meant you get to host, or even if you need wins to make the NCAAT. They just don’t care.

It’s all about RPI.

Don’t waste time looking at standings. The Coastal doesn’t matter. The only thing that does is get you the tie breaker in the conf tourney. And we all know this program would prefer to not even play in the ACCT. Even if winning a couple games meant you get to host, or even if you need wins to make the NCAAT. They just don’t care.

It’s all about RPI.
First of all it was just a nugget.

CIS had this debate last year and I couldn't disagree more. Terrible ACC tournament. Top 8 seed and bounced in the regional.

It may not matter to you, but I guarantee it does to the players. Like Herm Edwards said it best, "You play to win the game."

Yes, by getting into the postseason, every team has a chance to win. However, what matters is playing well going into said post season. Playing well down the stretch and finishing high in the standing gets a better seeding at the ACC Tournament. Playing well in the ACC tournament gains momentum and breeds confidence going into the post season as being battle tested.

First of all it was just a nugget.

CIS had this debate last year and I couldn't disagree more. Terrible ACC tournament. Top 8 seed and bounced in the regional.

It may not matter to you, but I guarantee it does to the players. Like Herm Edwards said it best, "You play to win the game."

Yes, by getting into the postseason, every team has a chance to win. However, what matters is playing well going into said post season. Playing well down the stretch and finishing high in the standing gets a better seeding at the ACC Tournament. Playing well in the ACC tournament gains momentum and breeds confidence going into the post season as being battle tested.
This program doesn’t care about that. Like I said the regular season conference standings mean nothing. If Gino could skip the ACCT he would.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back