Canes Alumni Weekend

CoachDannyMiaz

Fyre Fest Influencer
Question for @DMoney @Stefan Adams @Brooklyndee or anybody else who might know:
Is there some type of NCAA stipulation that prohibits recruits from meeting alumni?

The reason I ask is that, if not, I would think a GREAT recruiting tool (for any school, but Miami especially) would be to have the big Alumni weekend (Alumni Dinner/The U Network event) and the big recruiting weekends line up for the same night (or weekend at least). Maybe, before or after the dinner have breakout into groups position by position where the recruits get to meet all the alumni who have walked their particular path all get to chop it up at once.

It's one thing for a kid to see their names and posters in the facility, but imagine:
- a Trey Sanders meeting Edgerrin, Otis Anderson, Frank Gore, McGahee, Portis, Duke Johnson & others all at the same time and them telling him their credentials, and what impact Miami had on them getting to where they got
- a kid like Frank "I want to to be surrounded by people who will tend to the 34 year old me" Ladson being in his visit during The U Network event actually SEEING this program helping alumni live and in living color, opposed to just a Clemson recruiting pitch.

- a 5* QB meeting with Dorsey and the two Heisman winners at the same time and them explaining what it's like to play with the ****nal of weapons they'll get at Miami.
- Damion Lewis, Russel Maryland, Sapp & Wilfork meeting the top DT recruit in the country and showing him their Super Bowl rings and Hall of Fame jackets all at the same time

Again, I don't know if NCAA rules would permit such a thing.
But if they do, I'd love to see something like that happen, not just on a random weekend when 2-3 kids might be there, but on a Friday night during THE big recruiting weekend when a good 10-12 top recruits are all there.

Advertisement
I can't answer the question as to whether it's legal or not to have recruits visit with alums at an event like this - above my pay grade. But, what I will say is this event is a prime example of what Richt is bringing to the U. ALL of the things such as this will pay huge dividends LONG TERM for the entire university.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Question for @DMoney @Stefan Adams @Brooklyndee or anybody else who might know:
Is there some type of NCAA stipulation that prohibits recruits from meeting alumni?

The reason I ask is that, if not, I would think a GREAT recruiting tool (for any school, but Miami especially) would be to have the big Alumni weekend (Alumni Dinner/The U Network event) and the big recruiting weekends line up for the same night (or weekend at least). Maybe, before or after the dinner have breakout into groups position by position where the recruits get to meet all the alumni who have walked their particular path all get to chop it up at once.

It's one thing for a kid to see their names and posters in the facility, but imagine:
- a Trey Sanders meeting Edgerrin, Otis Anderson, Frank Gore, McGahee, Portis, Duke Johnson & others all at the same time and them telling him their credentials, and what impact Miami had on them getting to where they got
- a kid like Frank "I want to to be surrounded by people who will tend to the 34 year old me" Ladson being in his visit during The U Network event actually SEEING this program helping alumni live and in living color, opposed to just a Clemson recruiting pitch.

- a 5* QB meeting with Dorsey and the two Heisman winners at the same time and them explaining what it's like to play with the ****nal of weapons they'll get at Miami.
- Damion Lewis, Russel Maryland, Sapp & Wilfork meeting the top DT recruit in the country and showing him their Super Bowl rings and Hall of Fame jackets all at the same time

Again, I don't know if NCAA rules would permit such a thing.
But if they do, I'd love to see something like that happen, not just on a random weekend when 2-3 kids might be there, but on a Friday night during THE big recruiting weekend when a good 10-12 top recruits are all there.

Let me see if I can answer this one:

From the NCAA D1 Manual 2017-18

6.4.2 Representatives of Athletics Interests. An institution’s “responsibility” for the conduct of its intercollegiate athletics program shall include responsibility for the acts of individuals, a corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization when a member of the institution’s executive or athletics administration or an athletics department staff member has knowledge or should have knowledge that such an individual, corporate entity or other organization: (Revised: 2/16/00)

(a) Has participated in or is a member of an agency or organization as described in Constitution 6.4.1;
(b) Has made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
(c) Has been requested by the athletics department staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective studentathletes or is assisting in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;
(d) Has assisted or is assisting in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes; or
(e) Is otherwise involved in promoting the institution’s athletics program.

I think in this case it would be (e).

Now, take a look at some of the rest of the manual as it pertains to "Representatives of Athletics Interests."

13.1.3.5 Nonpermissible Callers. 13.1.3.5.1 Representatives of Athletics Interests. Representatives of an institution’s athletics interests (as defined in Bylaw 13.02.15) are prohibited from making telephonic communications with a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete’s relatives or legal guardians. [D] (Revised: 10/30/14) 13.1.3.5.1.1

Prospective Student-Athlete Initiates Call. An athletics representative of a member institution may speak to a prospective student-athlete via the telephone only if the prospective student-athlete initiates the telephone conversation and the call is not for recruiting purposes. Under such circumstances, the representative must refer questions about the institution’s athletics program to the athletics department staff. [D] (Revised: 10/30/14)

13.4.3.5 Miscellaneous Promotions. Member institutions and their representatives of athletics interests are prohibited from financing, arranging or using recruiting aids (e.g., newspaper advertisements, bumper stickers, message buttons) designed to publicize the institution’s interest in a particular prospective student-athlete. [D] (Revised: 10/28/97)

But hey, can't they see them during official visits?

13.6.7.5 Student Host. [A] The student host must be either a current student-athlete or a student designated in a manner consistent with the institution’s policy for providing campus visits or tours to prospective students in general.

Doesn't say former student athlete

Sorrry for being the killjoy, but Marky Mark Emmert has his NCAA Funky Bunch hide in the trees in Coral Gables waiting with baited breath to report ANYTHING!!!

Let me see if I can answer this one:

From the NCAA D1 Manual 2017-18

6.4.2 Representatives of Athletics Interests. An institution’s “responsibility” for the conduct of its intercollegiate athletics program shall include responsibility for the acts of individuals, a corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization when a member of the institution’s executive or athletics administration or an athletics department staff member has knowledge or should have knowledge that such an individual, corporate entity or other organization: (Revised: 2/16/00)

(a) Has participated in or is a member of an agency or organization as described in Constitution 6.4.1;
(b) Has made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
(c) Has been requested by the athletics department staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective studentathletes or is assisting in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;
(d) Has assisted or is assisting in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes; or
(e) Is otherwise involved in promoting the institution’s athletics program.

I think in this case it would be (e).

Now, take a look at some of the rest of the manual as it pertains to "Representatives of Athletics Interests."

13.1.3.5 Nonpermissible Callers. 13.1.3.5.1 Representatives of Athletics Interests. Representatives of an institution’s athletics interests (as defined in Bylaw 13.02.15) are prohibited from making telephonic communications with a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete’s relatives or legal guardians. [D] (Revised: 10/30/14) 13.1.3.5.1.1

Prospective Student-Athlete Initiates Call. An athletics representative of a member institution may speak to a prospective student-athlete via the telephone only if the prospective student-athlete initiates the telephone conversation and the call is not for recruiting purposes. Under such circumstances, the representative must refer questions about the institution’s athletics program to the athletics department staff. [D] (Revised: 10/30/14)

13.4.3.5 Miscellaneous Promotions. Member institutions and their representatives of athletics interests are prohibited from financing, arranging or using recruiting aids (e.g., newspaper advertisements, bumper stickers, message buttons) designed to publicize the institution’s interest in a particular prospective student-athlete. [D] (Revised: 10/28/97)

But hey, can't they see them during official visits?

13.6.7.5 Student Host. [A] The student host must be either a current student-athlete or a student designated in a manner consistent with the institution’s policy for providing campus visits or tours to prospective students in general.

Doesn't say former student athlete

Sorrry for being the killjoy, but Marky Mark Emmert has his NCAA Funky Bunch hide in the trees in Coral Gables waiting with baited breath to report ANYTHING!!!

Not a killjoy at all. Thanks for the explanation.

Advertisement
This is why we say Miami is truly family because the bond and connection goes on long after playing here.

Uf or FSU players don't do this for each other.

Thsts why I laughed when Ladson said what he did about Clemson

Is it dusty in here?

Look at Rohan standing next to Rumph. Holy ****. That guy balled out. Even if the team struggled, watching that guy play football was more than worth the price of admission.

This is why it’s called Canesfam and anyone who calls us Cane Nation just don’t know ****. God, Family, Country... Family comes before Country.

“It’s a Canes thing, you wouldn’t understand.” Truer words have never been spoken.

Advertisement
Back