Canes #4 in the first preseason poll of the year

Miami has a good team but collegiate baseball is rhutarded. Van Belle over McMahon in any preseason all American team is stupid as ****

I'd have Cecconi as the best of the 3 in 2020. Van Belle is going to be good, but it's hard to see him being an All-American. McMahon hasn't yet shown the consistency from week-to-week. When he's on he's dominant, but his command isn't always there. There's a good chance he's the 1st Cane off the board in 2020 just because of how good his stuff is though

Cecconi actually led the ACC in K/BB ratio in 2019 and is now throwing as hard as any starter I can remember us having. He's my pick for the Friday night starter.

Advertisement
I'd have Cecconi as the best of the 3 in 2020. Van Belle is going to be good, but it's hard to see him being an All-American. McMahon hasn't yet shown the consistency from week-to-week. When he's on he's dominant, but his command isn't always there. There's a good chance he's the 1st Cane off the board in 2020 just because of how good his stuff is though

Cecconi actually led the ACC in K/BB ratio in 2019 and is now throwing as hard as any starter I can remember us having. He's my pick for the Friday night starter.

I just hope McMahon pitches all year the way he did for Team USA over the summer.

Advertisement
I’m a little surprised Florida is so low. It seemed like the hype train on them had started to kick back into gear this fall.

If the rankings hold, it’ll be the first time we go into the series ranked higher than the Gators since 2014.

And again, I think we all agree...play like the ranking is deserved please.

UM

6 walks in 12in. That's too many for sure. ERA was 2.25

Batting average against was .154, 3rd on the team. ERA was 2nd best on the team. Gave up 6 hits.

Ok, thanks. If he can get the BB's reduced and stay healthy, we could have a stout rotation (on paper anyway, but as Adam Scott said about the International golf team last week, "we don't play on paper, we play on grass"). Maybe Gino should steal that line.

Advertisement
Anyone feeling the inevitable letdown already? Or am I just letting the FB/BB suckage permeate into every other sport.
No. This whole lineup can rake. With the way they can put up runs I don’t see the pitching being a detriment. The Florida series is not really relevant anymore. They beat us every year no matter what. I went back to our championship years and the years we made the CWS. Florida usually handled us in those years as well. Over all, I think we’re looking at a 50 win season

No. This whole lineup can rake. With the way they can put up runs I don’t see the pitching being a detriment. The Florida series is not really relevant anymore. They beat us every year no matter what. I went back to our championship years and the years we made the CWS. Florida usually handled us in those years as well. Over all, I think we’re looking at a 50 win season
Most of the lineup can rake I agree. But there are some BIG TIME strikeout guys throughout our lineup unfortunately.

My order: (Middle of the lineup has to clean up strikeouts) If bottom of the order is that come opening day, that is best bottom half in country.
LaLa
Zamora
Del Castillo
Gil
Gates
Toral

Vilar
Rivera
Jenkins

Most of the lineup can rake I agree. But there are some BIG TIME strikeout guys throughout our lineup unfortunately.

My order: (Middle of the lineup has to clean up strikeouts) If bottom of the order is that come opening day, that is best bottom half in country.
LaLa
Zamora
Del Castillo
Gil
Gates
Toral

Vilar
Rivera
Jenkins
Look at that lineup you just listed. Is there a better 1 - 9 in the country? You are right about the strike outs. I imagine Toral will improve on his strike outs. He drastically improved from year one to year two. I expect nothing less. This is his draft year.

Look at that lineup you just listed. Is there a better 1 - 9 in the country? You are right about the strike outs. I imagine Toral will improve on his strike outs. He drastically improved from year one to year two. I expect nothing less. This is his draft year.

This really could be a fun team to watch if they simply improve their offensive stats 5 - 10%, on average, from last year (which isn't asking that much of 2nd and 3rd year guys).

But as we all know, good pitching still beats good hitting, and we'll see nothing but aces and #2 guys in the post-season. So, clean up the defense, base-running and find our closer by April and they're capable of making a run in Omaha.

Advertisement
Apparently nobody cares if guys strike out a lot anymore. When I stopped following mlb years ago if you had 100 Ks that was a mark against you. Now 150 Ks in a season is no big deal. It's feast or famine. Maybe the priorities are different in the college game, but I doubt it.

Apparently nobody cares if guys strike out a lot anymore. When I stopped following mlb years ago if you had 100 Ks that was a mark against you. Now 150 Ks in a season is no big deal. It's feast or famine. Maybe the priorities are different in the college game, but I doubt it.

Ya, launch angle, middle infielders hitting 30 HRs a year, etc. Follow the money - Stanton and Harper get $300MM+ contracts because they hit the ball 450 feet every 18 ABs, yet have lifetime BA of ~ .270. Hopefully, the college game continues to develop good baseball players and the pendulum swings back in MLB, but that's doubtful also as long as MLB believes HRs is all that sells.

This team will go as far as the bullpen carries it. We finally have true front line starters, and we can’t waste them. It’s truly hosting a super and going to Omaha or bust this year. Time to find out what Gino is made of.

Advertisement
This team will go as far as the bullpen carries it. We finally have true front line starters, and we can’t waste them. It’s truly hosting a super and going to Omaha or bust this year. Time to find out what Gino is made of.
Errors and base running has to improve as well.

Ya, launch angle, middle infielders hitting 30 HRs a year, etc. Follow the money - Stanton and Harper get $300MM+ contracts because they hit the ball 450 feet every 18 ABs, yet have lifetime BA of ~ .270. Hopefully, the college game continues to develop good baseball players and the pendulum swings back in MLB, but that's doubtful also as long as MLB believes HRs is all that sells.

HRs are also what win.

That clearly wasn't always so. I enjoyed watching teams like the '85 Cardinals. Would a guy with the tools of Ozzie Smith even get a cup of coffee in MLB these days?

Yes I think so. Andrelton Simmons has a career .380 SLG.

Hitting HRs didn't win in the 80s because teams weren't trying to win that way. Modern FOs realize you're better off taking a walk and waiting for a bomb than giving away outs and trying to manufacture runs.

Of course market values also influence how MLB teams put together their rosters. If small ball skills became undervalued, I'm sure eventually you'd see a shift in that direction, at least somewhat. But as long as there are only 3 outs and 4 bases, avoiding outs will always be more valuable than taking an extra base.

Advertisement
Back