Canes #11/13 (Coach/AP) - 2.20.23

Advertisement
Basketball, especially, is one sport where margin of victory can easily be skewed and shouldn't be a determining factor. You're up 20, you put in the 5-1 white guy walkons and the other team hits some 3s in the last two minutes and you win by 9. You're punished. Dumb.

Exactly. That's all I'm saying. I wonder what would have happened "if only" Louisville hadn't hit that last 3 with 6 seconds on the clock. What a pathetic life to live...

Right now, if the season ended today, you could put all of TWO things on our season tombstone.

"Lost by 18 at a neutral site to a team that will make the NCAA Tournament"

and

"Lost by 6 in a road game at GaTech, a team that will not make the NCAA Tournament".

And for both of those horrible, unforgivable sins, we can't earn any respect for all the games we've won...

Even though at least six of the teams the NCAA has ahead of us have at least one double-digit loss AND at least one loss to a terrible conference opponent.
Horrible? Unforgiveable? Come on. Every team has letdowns. #1 Alabama lost to mediocre Oklahome a few weeks ago by a gazillion. As you say, Maryland is gonna make the Tourney and is the type of team who we could beat by 20 if we play them again, or ... lose to them big once more. Couple NBA talents on that team.

It’s not actually our losses that are tanking our NET ranking. Of course they’re not helping, but it’s the wins against mediocre teams where we gave up a lot of points.

Neither net nor kenpom allows a ranking to be overly influenced by one or two games. Kenpom does weight early season games for offensive efficiency metrics and punish poor defensive performance early in the season. But our bad metrics are because we have not destroyed the mid teams we played… we beat them but we let them score. Thus a bad defensive efficiency ranking that is killing our NET and kenpom.

For example, our defensive efficiency ranking dropped like 10 spots after the 2nd Louisville game… and our kenpom ranking dropped by 5-6 slots.

I’m not defending the idiocy of using weighted margin of victory (which is ultimately what net efficiency metrics measure) over actual wins and losses… but that’s basically what they’re doing.
Yep. We've played a lot of very close games, games that coulda gone either way. Fortunately, we've won almost all of them. Not THAT many emphatic opponent beatdowns. All good though. Just keep winning.

Horrible? Unforgiveable? Come on. Every team has letdowns. #1 Alabama lost to mediocre Oklahome a few weeks ago by a gazillion. As you say, Maryland is gonna make the Tourney and is the type of team who we could beat by 20 if we play them again, or ... lose to them big once more. Couple NBA talents on that team.

Apparently you don't understand sarcasm....especially when I end the sarcastic comment with an ellipsis...which is what I do...

Advertisement
Advertisement
We did it to ourselves but we'd probably be around 10 and with a win at Pitt and even just making it to the Acc champ have a real shot at a 2.

But lets beat Pitt and go from there.

It just makes the polls look like a farce so who cares and really who cares about bracketology. I don’t care who it is I wouldn’t want to play Miami especially after the FSU game which will be a rally cry to spring forward… GO CANES🙌❤️

Advertisement
Agree with the first part then when he started calling the players a disgrace and losers and calling L to be fired then yea I can't take you seriously.

That loss was embarrassing and if people are ok with what happened and said this needed to happen to wake up the team then idk what to say.
dd u see in the other thread? one of your wettest sLurpers posted he thought Coach L planned this loss as a way to get ready for Pitt.

Advertisement
Agree with the first part then when he started calling the players a disgrace and losers and calling L to be fired then yea I can't take you seriously.

That loss was embarrassing and if people are ok with what happened and said this needed to happen to wake up the team then idk what to say.

I don’t think anybody is ok with it. And while it shouldn’t need to happen, it obviously did need to happen because this team obviously needed a(nother) reminder that games are 40 minutes long. Maddening, maybe… but also that’s just the reality of the situation.

The fortunate thing is that in life we’re defined by how you get up after being knocked down. People forget the knockdown if you get up and make them forget about it.

UVA’s loss to UMBC - bad as it was - is now a footnote to their subsequent title run.

I don’t think anybody is ok with it. And while it shouldn’t need to happen, it obviously did need to happen because this team obviously needed a(nother) reminder that games are 40 minutes long. Maddening, maybe… but also that’s just the reality of the situation.

The fortunate thing is that in life we’re defined by how you get up after being knocked down. People forget the knockdown if you get up and make them forget about it.

UVA’s loss to UMBC - bad as it was - is now a footnote to their subsequent title run.
We don't need multiple reminders during the season. Ga Tech and Pitt were enough. And this team was able to close out wins against teams they should have put away with 10 minutes left in the game aka Virginia, UNC, Cornell to name a few.

I'm sorry but I think people saying this needed to happen to us is weak as ****. Could have closed it out, won the regular season title, and look to boost our tournament ranking going forward. Now we likely won't be getting anything higher than a 4 barring some crazy **** happening to the teams ranked ahead of us.

We don't need multiple reminders during the season. Ga Tech and Pitt were enough. And this team was able to close out wins against teams they should have put away with 10 minutes left in the game aka Virginia, UNC, Cornell to name a few.

I'm sorry but I think people saying this needed to happen to us is weak as ****. Could have closed it out, won the regular season title, and look to boost our tournament ranking going forward. Now we likely won't be getting anything higher than a 4 barring some crazy **** happening to the teams ranked ahead of us.

Sorry but that’s tough guy nonsense.

It obviously needed to happen. If the team didn’t need a reminder they wouldn’t have blown a 25 point second half lead against a garbage squad.

They did. It sucked. Inexcusable.

Life serves everyone **** sandwiches. History books are full of lumps and lessons.

On Saturday a heavyweight got TKO’d by a flyweight. They shouldn’t have. They shouldn’t have needed another reminder.

But guess what.

They did.

That’s not weak that’s reality. The only next question is whether they’re going to learn that lesson and punch for 40 minutes from here on out.

Advertisement
Back