Cane Mutiny

How many have read it?

• Total voters
Advertisement
Read it. I thought it was very interesting that randy shannon would collect money from boosters and ex players and distribute it to the correct players on big hits etc

I didn't read it. On the Canes free board on Rivals several years ago, somebody posted that the book claims that Miami was a 49 point underdog (or thereabouts) in the famous Jim Kelly upset at Penn State in 1979.

I knew that was absurd. To be a 49 point underdog it has to be a juggernaut versus an absolute doormat. Neither team qualified for the description. Penn State was a second tier team that season, ranked maybe in the teens. Miami was weak but hardly a laughingstock.

I guessed on that board that the line was probably low 20s. Then I contacted the Gold Sheet, which is the long term respected source, with numbers dating to the '50s. They took interest and looked it up for me. The closing line was Penn State -19.5.

So the book was off by more than 4 touchdowns, if it's true that Cane Mutiny included that specific mention. I took the word of the poster, without reading the book myself.

Overall it's not an unfamiliar trend. Fans always want to believe their team was disrespected by the pointspread far beyond actual. I see it all the time on national college football boards. Ohio State fans think they were 20+ point underdogs against the Canes in the Fiesta Bowl, not 11.5. Alabama fans think the line was +14 or higher in 1992 season Sugar Bowl, not 6.5. And so forth.

I didn't read it. On the Canes free board on Rivals several years ago, somebody posted that the book claims that Miami was a 49 point underdog (or thereabouts) in the famous Jim Kelly upset at Penn State in 1979.

I knew that was absurd. To be a 49 point underdog it has to be a juggernaut versus an absolute doormat. Neither team qualified for the description. Penn State was a second tier team that season, ranked maybe in the teens. Miami was weak but hardly a laughingstock.

I guessed on that board that the line was probably low 20s. Then I contacted the Gold Sheet, which is the long term respected source, with numbers dating to the '50s. They took interest and looked it up for me. The closing line was Penn State -19.5.

So the book was off by more than 4 touchdowns, if it's true that Cane Mutiny included that specific mention. I took the word of the poster, without reading the book myself.

Overall it's not an unfamiliar trend. Fans always want to believe their team was disrespected by the pointspread far beyond actual. I see it all the time on national college football boards. Ohio State fans think they were 20+ point underdogs against the Canes in the Fiesta Bowl, not 11.5. Alabama fans think the line was +14 or higher in 1992 season Sugar Bowl, not 6.5. And so forth.

So you confirmed that the book said we were 40-50 point underdogs? I loaned mine to my brother in law or I would look it up. Anyone else willing to do so?

U mean where the mental instability of leadership jeopardizes the ship....for 10 years?

Advertisement
As Drake would say ..... "Own it"

tumblr_m9ziatUZyr1qbh0eio2_500.gif

Advertisement
Back