Cane Big Drill

Advertisement
Advertisement
Thanks for the observation. However is this new with us?

If I remember correctly Golden did it in pregame with a few players. I think it's just another way to keep the edge have guys compete against each other in front of the team.

Image result for dummy trump

If I remember correctly Golden did it in pregame with a few players. I think it's just another way to keep the edge have guys compete against each other in front of the team.
But it seems to be a normal thing throughout SEC schools but here

Advertisement
Bull in the ring is completely different. Bull in the ring consists of 1 dude in the middle of circle. Coach taps player near him and he fires out to nail the dude in the middle. Usually the guys in the middle gets hit by 3-5 different guys.
Bill in the ring should get banned lol..we did it lil league and once in JV. How we did it was the whole team circled up, coach would call two players out. The two came together, back to back and ran the opposite direction along the circle until they met full speed head up. If you win you keep going. Coach calls another cat and the process continues..like I said should be illegal lol..what we are are doing is something that LSU has been doing for years under les and now with O they called the “Big Cat” drill. It’s nothing like the Oklahoma drill, which features a ball carrier, olineman vs a D-Lineman and free defender

Bill in the ring should get banned lol..we did it lil league and once in JV. How we did it was the whole team circled up, coach would call two players out. The two came together, back to back and ran the opposite direction along the circle until they met full speed head up. If you win you keep going. Coach calls another cat and the process continues..like I said should be illegal lol..what we are are doing is something that LSU has been doing for years under les and now with O they called the “Big Cat” drill. It’s nothing like the Oklahoma drill, which features a ball carrier, olineman vs a D-Lineman and free defender

The real OK drill is solid like you explained above. Forces dude to really fight through and make a play. The bull**** we doing is pointless. Well maybe not pointless since it gets guys fired up.

The real OK drill is solid like you explained above. Forces dude to really fight through and make a play. The bull**** we doing is pointless. Well maybe not pointless since it gets guys fired up.
It’s just to get the energy up for me. I don’t mind. Tbh the team as a whole rarely come together. Every position group does their own things in practice. Even down to team meetings. Idk how we do are lifts but most likely that done by position groupings too. Very rare the D and O come together. So if manny sees this as a quick 15 min sess when everyone comes together I don’t mind it at all

That's the whole point. It's not like they're doing this drill instead of doing position drills or running plays, it's just a motivational thing they do in addition to the other stuff..

Advertisement
Outside of firing up the players, there’s really no other aspect or necessity for it, unless it’s to, as Manny said, prove their toughness to their teammates.

Crazy. at high school up in Michigan we called that the Miami Drill not Oklahoma haha.

Advertisement

Both these drills different where I played. Bull one guy in middle chopping feet in a circle coach calls out a players number and you stand your ground or get knockout of circle. If you stand ground you stay in. Oklahoma you laid on your backs about 5 feet from one another (one with ball) when coach blew whistle you got up and ran at one another. I know these two and the alley have been banned from high school practices. Also pretty sure you can’t do them in optimist anymore either. Only drill from my youth that is still allowed is the one where you run at an angle at one another and tackled or ran over. No more head up drills

Outside of firing up the players, there’s really no other aspect or necessity for it, unless it’s to, as Manny said, prove their toughness to their teammates.

Or getting embarrassed in front of your peers and getting in the weight room.

Not only to get guys fired up but to teach them how to get inside and low in leverage which is important.

Advertisement
Back