Candidate Interviews Should Not Outweigh Other Intangibles

Genghis Cane

Chicken Wing Connoisseur
Okay, so it seems like Miami is about to begin conducting interviews in the near future (or maybe they have already started). While I believe an interview is important, I do not think it should be utilized as a make-or-break mechanism in offering somebody the job.

My reasoning:

1. AL Folden supposedly killed his interview....he stroked the A.D. with his bullcrap binder of pillars and etc. Furthermore, just because someone can talk the talk...does not mean they can walk the walk (as we all have painfully found out).

2. Experience should play a bigger factor. I am not talking necessarily about Butch. We should thoroughly evaluate every coaches track record from the very beginning of their their time as a coach. I'm talking about their time as a position coach, coordinator, or obviously head coach. Look at their coaching tree, win-loss records, strength of schedule/competition (as a head coach), player development, and etc.

3. A candidate talking about recruiting in an interview as a selling point means jack sh** to me. If you win, the recruits will come (So get out of here with that Mario B.S.). Is recruiting important? Absolutely, but it should be the last thing we talk/care about. Also, Al Folden was supposedly an "ace recuiter"...see where that got us.

4. Lastly, some coaches may not be the "interview type", but I would rather have a winner than a PR guy (like Folden).

In conclusion, interviews are important, but we should evaluate all other intangibles when making a decision. Oh and for the love of god, our next coach does not need to be a guy with "South Florida Ties". Lets get ourselves a hungry winner.

Edit: I said Blake by accident in the post, was thinking about this process in particular

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think Blake understands the significance of this hire unlike Shawn Eichorst who originally hired Folden. I'm hopeful Blake makes the right hire because not only does he need a coach that will develop and recruit players but he need a a coach that will brings fans to stadium

Advertisement
I think Blake understands the significance of this hire unlike Shawn Eichorst who originally hired Folden. I'm hopeful Blake makes the right hire because not only does he need a coach that will develop and recruit players but he need a a coach that will brings fans to stadium

Unfortunately, Kirby Hocutt hired Golden. It was that Howdy Doody-looking AD you mentioned above who give him the extension.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, Kirby Hocutt hired Golden. It was that Howdy Doody-looking AD you mentioned above who give him the extension. [and then he dip-ped out of town swiftly after that!]

Agree with the premise. There have been numerous studies that have shown that interviews negatively effect judgement and hiring. However, this is not a typical job. HCs need to have a vision and road map that need to be communicated.

The interview is one piece of the puzzle. It should not outweigh resume and references for most jobs, and certainly not this one.

Advertisement
Happens on the high school level all the time.

They'll ignore the coach's past record, achievements, development of players and the coaching tree he came from. They'll hire the guy who said all the right things and wore a nice suit.

This is what happens when the people who make the decisions are squares from academia who have never played a sport in their life. How can we expect them to know what it takes to win? It's a flawed process.

This is what happens when the people who make the decisions are squares from academia who have never played a sport in their life. How can we expect them to know what it takes to win? It's a flawed process.

The precise truth is not only that "the people who make the decisions are squares from academia" but most unfortunately that these people fail to hire an actual Athletics Director.

That is, an AD to run the Athletic dept and make the decisions based on his experience in the outside world working with sports professionals and coaches.

I agree, interviews are over-rated. They don't win games or turn programs around.

Advertisement
The purpose of the interview process shouldn't be to find the guy who interviews best. It should be to find the guy with the philosophy and approach to the game that best fits UM and UM's natural resources. You shouldn't hire a guy just because he smiles at you and shakes your hand strong and has a neat hairdo.

Find a killer. Find a guy with a burning desire to be the best and to build a ferocious champion that wants to take the other team's will away and not just a guy who wants to "build great citizens" or whatever other stupid loser spew that appeals to some of the stuffed shirts on UM's current search committee.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back