Can You Be A Canes Football Fan Without Being a Golden Fan?

Which are you? A Slurper or a Mope

• Total voters

Kirijax

Senior
I've been hanging around CanesInSight for almost two years now. I usually enjoy it because every one has their own opinion of what the program needs to do to get back to the top. Some fans bash others for supporting the team and therefore supporting Golden. Others put down those who criticize the team and especially the coaches. It's the mopes vs. the slurpers again and again and again. Most have interesting points of view and valid reasons for where they stand. Does it have to be so black and white?
I was a fan of Canes football long before Golden and company arrived, and I'll be a fan long after they are gone. My passion for the Canes is not defined by one coach or player. To be honest I'm not that big of a Golden fan. I was really impressed by him in the way he stood by our program during the Shapiro mess but the whole PSU thing in the spring wiped that all out. There are some things he's done well, and there are some things he needs a lot of help on. But I want him to be successful here because that means my Canes are winning. I have no desire to see the team go through another rebuilding phrase before Golden is successful here.
Some of the fans here want to see change quickly and the quickest way to that is for the team to lose and see the coach fired. I understand that way of thinking. I don't agree with it but I understand it. I will never root for the Canes to lose. Can't do it. If that makes me a Golden slurper, whatever. Sure would be nice to root for the Canes without being called that. Last time I looked, I root for the Miami Hurricanes, not the Miami Goldens.
Is it possible to root for the team and not be a mope or a slurper?

Advertisement
I'm not a fan of any coach. There is no loyalty, so I don't even consider that. They are hired guns. A coach's proclamation of this being where he wants to be and "it's a destination job" is equivalent to a little Vietnamese bar girl saying "me love you long time, GI". All coaches leave when they get a better deal. That's reality.

The frustration I have comes from the firm belief that there are coaches out there that would absolutely kick *** with the talent available at Miami. Golden is in his 4th year here and I haven't seen any sign of that killer instinct that winners have. But, I'm not joining the lynch mob while there are games to play this year. He isn't leaving in the middle of the season, so we ride with him in 2014. I hope for the best, but don't expect it.

Finding horse **** in a bucket under the Christmas tree doesn't mean there is a pony near by. My hope has limits.

I posted something similar last week.

My conclusion; you can't resolve this argument and the only guy who benefits is Pete because more traffic on the site leads to advertising revenue.

Advertisement
Being a sycophant to a coach has nothing to do with rooting for a program. Some of these clowns drink Al's skidmark Kool Aid, and that fat Greaseball would be Ped State's HC right now if they hadn't rejected his groveling.

Coaches come and go. Real fans care about the program, not a carpet bagger HC.

I was as big a supporter of this guy as there was and even gave him this year to turn things around.

Then Louisvill happened and proved to me yet again that he just doesn't get it. LB's covering WR's, awful alignments on 4-1, essentially giving the opponent 1st downs.

The offensive game planning lacks in every aspect and I just can't take much more of this joker.

Last edited:
I love the Canes. I despise Al Golden. If this team immediately began playing like a Miami team should my opinion of him would change. Not going to happen

Advertisement
I care about the program I became a fan of, the school I chose to go to et al. But I am afraid the administration does not give one iota about the program and what it meant to the community and to the rise of the university in general. I can't be alone in this sentiment. My wife was floored when I told her I wasnt going to any games this year. When she met me 8 years ago, I had been a season ticket holder, donor, went to away games, bowl games, and literally have a man cave full of items I have collected and valued over the past two decades.

I dont recognize this program as the one I grew up with or went to grad school with. Vida del Sol is not the Orange Bowl. These uniform changes are for the ******* birds. We havent been good in over a decade with no real hope in sight. Our alleged coach who wanted to be here so desperately he tried to sneak off to Pedo State... it's all good, I've saved a ton of money over the past few years.

I want my Canes back, but I'm afraid that the soul of the program was in the Orange Bowl and Butch aint walkin through that door. I'm stuck with Golden and his side kick. I remain a fan of the program, its where my heart is, but I know deep down the admin doesnt care and we are not elite and wont be in the immediate future. But I digress. Go, Canes.

I give two **** about Golden. I care about performance.

Absolutely no cot**** reason for us to be this mediocre for this long. It's beyond unacceptable. Its offensive. And the Board should be offended by the their under-investing in the program as a whole.

It defies comprehension that Blake James seemingly cannot make the business case to his superiors about the dormant ROI of the football program.

Sure the needle is moving and we have some nice upgrades (arguably too long in the making) but I see no evidence of an absolute will to win.

Of course, in academia complacency and head-bobbing are virtues and ambition a vice.

So I will start to cheer for Al - as a representative of the team I love - when he and the coaching staff get this team to show up and win a meaningful game.

I liked the hire of Golden, initially. Thought it was cool how he wore a tie, and then ran out when M. Lewis got hurt. I got goosebumps listening to his media interviews when he first got the job. I was still on board his first two years. I even got a pretty slick tie, white shirt, and wore them to a few games. I didn't do that last year, I wont do that ever again.

He lost me in his inconsistency, or I should say, his consistent inconsistency. I don't care how good of a recruiter he is. Shannon had the #1 ranked recruiting class, and Radio was a CoRch. If the top recruiting and management of players doesn't translate to wins on the field, then you are a CoRch.

Too many people still talk about how much he cares because of his initial interviews and how he was out on the field when Lewis got hurt. **** that. I'd argue Saban cares more about his players because he implements a system to develop and utilize them in a way that will eventually get them to the NFL. You cant raise a family on coach hugs.

Last edited:
There are stupid polls, and then there is this one.

of course you can

Advertisement
Just before the season, there were only a few of us clearly identified as "mopes." Oh, and we caught **** for our comments.

Amazing what can happen in three weeks.

Going to be more fun to watch reactions as the weeks roll by.

I'm a fan of the Miami Hurricanes football team. I'm a fan of the guy's who do well for the team. I'll be a fan long after Golden is a memory.

Advertisement
I liked the hire of Golden, initially. Thought it was cool how he wore a tie, and then ran out when M. Lewis got hurt. I got goosebumps listening to his media interviews when he first got the job. I was still on board his first two years. I even got a pretty slick tie, white shirt, and wore them to a few games. I didn't do that last year, I wont do that ever again.

He lost me in his inconsistency, or I should say, his consistent inconsistency. I don't care how good of a recruiter he is. Shannon had the #1 ranked recruiting class, and Radio was a CoRch. If the top recruiting and management of players doesn't translate to wins on the field, then you are a CoRch.

Too many people still talk about how much he cares because of his initial interviews and how he was out on the field when Lewis got hurt. **** that. I'd argue Saban cares more about his players because he implements a system to develop and utilize them in a way that will eventually get them to the NFL. You cant raise a family on coach hugs.

Last season he lost me, right after the VT game. It's apparent he will never win here.

Being a sycophant to a coach has nothing to do with rooting for a program. Some of these clowns drink Al's skidmark Kool Aid, and that fat Greaseball would be Ped State's HC right now if they hadn't rejected his groveling.

Coaches come and go. Real fans care about the program, not a carpet bagger HC.

Posted with a "Bring Back Butch!" sign in one hand and a "Go Huskers!" in the other.

Well played.

Advertisement
Back