Can we talk about stubborn coaches and team philosophy?

futurecane

Redshirt Freshman
No one in college football has earned the right to be unflinchingly stubborn except for Nick Saban, and even he has to adapt and improve.

To have a coach(es) like Mark Richt (and Manny, Hartley, et al), who stubbornly refuses to acknowledge there is even a need to improve is baffling. I understand “coach-speak”, and trying to establish an advantage on the competition and not share your deepest, darkest secrets, but the first step to improvement is acknowledgement of your shortcomings.

The one thing I haven’t seen so far from Miami is that hunger. We became “The U” in the 80’s by innovating, playing a pro-style offense, recruiting more African-Americans, and realizing we couldn’t just overpower other teams by brute force and instead we had to beat them in other areas (speed, intimidation, swagger, stamina, etc).

Newsflash: the game has changed, and the U hasn’t really adapted. We need to establish that hunger, open up that offense, and get back to our roots of being the innovative underdog with insane athletes.

For example, the excuse for not installing an “Air-raid” or more spread offense has been that it would be detrimental to the defense as the offense isn’t on the field long enough. I’m not sure if these detractors have watched Miami football, but we go 3-and-out routinely, I can’t imagine scoring TOO FAST being worse... right?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back