Can this OL be fixed?

Advertisement
Now that we have the full staff hired and going into recruiting mode I think the biggest question mark on the entire team is the OL and I realize that has been covered a ton already.

My question is more centered around whether the new staff can do enough to fix what we have because there aren't recruits coming through the door as of yet to add quality depth or an instant impact.

Can St. Louis develop enough to start at LT which would allow Darling to slide back over to the right side?
Can Milo step in as a redshirt Freshman to provide some depth and possibly push for a starting spot?
Is Searles a big enough upgrade over Kehoe to get this unit more technically sound?
Will we change from a zone blocking scheme that didn't fit our current line to something that plays more to our players strengths?

These are the major questions I have and I don't know nearly enough about the OL to provide any answers. Hopefully some of you guys like gogeta4 or D$ can provide some insight and possibly answer these questions.

Define "fixed". Elite? I'm not certain any amount coaching can get them there. I still believe, sadly, the OL is a 3 yr project.

I don't know if I believe the 40 times. Darling looked really slow at LT.

A 5.69 for a left tackle is slow. I'd be interested in his shuttle times and his 10m. Let's put this in perspective. OL at the NFL combine run 5.3 in the 40 and elite guys are better than that. Flowers ran a 5.31.

Now that we have the full staff hired and going into recruiting mode I think the biggest question mark on the entire team is the OL and I realize that has been covered a ton already.

My question is more centered around whether the new staff can do enough to fix what we have because there aren't recruits coming through the door as of yet to add quality depth or an instant impact.

Can St. Louis develop enough to start at LT which would allow Darling to slide back over to the right side?
Can Milo step in as a redshirt Freshman to provide some depth and possibly push for a starting spot?
Is Searles a big enough upgrade over Kehoe to get this unit more technically sound?
Will we change from a zone blocking scheme that didn't fit our current line to something that plays more to our players strengths?

These are the major questions I have and I don't know nearly enough about the OL to provide any answers. Hopefully some of you guys like gogeta4 or D$ can provide some insight and possibly answer these questions.

Define "fixed". Elite? I'm not certain any amount coaching can get them there. I still believe, sadly, the OL is a 3 yr project.

I don't believe we can be elite yet, but can they be serviceable?

I don't believe we can be elite yet, but can they be serviceable?

That is a question that could very wel define a "successful" season next year. I would offer its the unit that requires the most improvement before any discussion of CD or ACCCG become realistic and not laughable.

Think about how sustained drives (i.e. 3rd down conversions) ENABLES or HAMPERS everything the entire team does. Keep drives alive and the defense gets more rest while simultaneously preventing the opponents offense from scoring. Go 3 and out (sadly like the offense did far too often) and you not only tire out the defense, but just keep giving the opposing offense more touches to score--a viscious cycle the Hurricanes have seen for the past 13 years. I argue that the OL is the key unit to all the above. If they can pass block, but more importantly run block with consistency, drives absolutely will be sustained. Doesn't mean always scoring, but at least gives the offense more touches than they have and keeps a weaker defense (like under D'onfrio) out of harm's way.

The OL probably cost Miami two games this past season, 3 counting the Sun Bowl.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back