Can the NCAA survive this California bill?

Is it better for the NCAA / University OR ....a Player to profit from the use if his own image

• ONLY the NCAA and the University ..keep it as it is

• ONLY The Player...it is his image so he should be able to profit from it

• They should split the proceeds from the use of a players image

• It should be held in a Trust for the Player....until the player is no longer on scholarship

Results are only viewable after voting.
The NCAA can tell California schools that to remain part of the NCAA it can not pay its players. It’s not like this is news. This is one of the requirements. The NCAA goes to great lengths to punish players for accepting a jelly donut. Other states have to start passing similar laws where they can exert some kind of pressure on the NCAA to change its stance or have enough schools willing to leave and form a new NCAA.

true statement...and i said as much in my original answer.

by doing so, NCAA would sue and lose, and then be forced to abandon CA altogether. As a counter, CA could sue on behalf of its athletes and win in Federal court, suspending entire portions of NCAA bylaws nationwide (remember 9th circus likes doing that)...

so...what else do you have?

Advertisement
true statement...and i said as much in my original answer.

by doing so, NCAA would sue and lose, and then be forced to abandon CA altogether. As a counter, CA could sue on behalf of its athletes and win in Federal court, suspending entire portions of NCAA bylaws nationwide (remember 9th circus likes doing that)...

so...what else do you have?
California alone accomplished nothing. It only isolated them. They need other states to follow.

- NCAA "owns" nothing
-- Member schools are "independent franchises" who have signed agreements to be apart NCAA
-- Ditto bowl games
- NCAA rules CAN NOT run counter to local, state, federal law
-- local, state, federal laws could instantly invalidate portions of NCAA agreements with member schools
--- NCAA could fight in state/federal courts...and will lose badly
-- Several other states following CA (about only smart thing CA legislature has ever done)
- IF this becomes law, will essentially create CFB super league like Euro pro futbol..err..soccer
-- Will fundamentally restructure CFB like no one has seen...not incremental change--broken glass massive change
-- Miami 99% likely WILL NOT be in said league if ever, or for long term if it tries
-- IF PAC 12 could ever execute its strategy, NO ONE will have head start like they can have (Asian market money worth BILLIONS)

Sign your rights over or you are ineligible isn’t illegal.

Advertisement
Player. This helps Miami because it’s a large media market.

Nah.

uncaptioned

Be careful what you wish for indeed...

Your bigger issue is there is too much money here that the NCAA and the schools aren’t going to give up that easy. They destroyed Maurice Claret for challenging that system.

Maurice isnt the CA legislature...

question is can NCAA politic enough to get Newsom to veto?

Not very supportive for persons of color now is it?

Advertisement
truthfully speaking how many NCAA players will be able to profit off their name image and likeness??? My guess is around 1% or less.

This is not the same as players getting paid by the schools. Them making money off image or other stuff will not influence the structure. They will not be able use the school copyrighted symbols or names. No uniforms or stuff. For football players they still have the helmet problem. Nobody knows who they are. The rare few will make some cash. They will have to come out of the shadows as far as IRS is concerned. I'm wondering is IRS will come up with way to make scholarships taxable since there is some attachment to income now.

I say let's do it. Canes looked we are screwed for good anyway. Maybe this will destroy rest of college football. I am a vengeful sob and would love that. And since college football is only sport I care bout now, maybe I can swing over to the lefties and go for banning all sports. Why should anyone have fun if I'm not. If my Canes can't win then ***** everyone, shut the entire thing down.

This is not the same as players getting paid by the schools. Them making money off image or other stuff will not influence the structure. They will not be able use the school copyrighted symbols or names. No uniforms or stuff. For football players they still have the helmet problem. Nobody knows who they are. The rare few will make some cash. They will have to come out of the shadows as far as IRS is concerned. I'm wondering is IRS will come up with way to make scholarships taxable since there is some attachment to income now.

I say let's do it. Canes looked we are screwed for good anyway. Maybe this will destroy rest of college football. I am a vengeful sob and would love that. And since college football is only sport I care bout now, maybe I can swing over to the lefties and go for banning all sports. Why should anyone have fun if I'm not. If my Canes can't win then ***** everyone, shut the entire thing down.

What is to stop a company whose founders etc are huge USC fans from saying If you are a 5 star we will sign you to a guaranteed 500k(whatever figure you want ) endorsement contract if you come to USC.

Advertisement

They can use everything school provides...

so long as school gets cut of proceeds...

what can possibly go wrong....

Advertisement
The NCAA can tell California schools that to remain part of the NCAA it can not pay its players. It’s not like this is news. This is one of the requirements. The NCAA goes to great lengths to punish players for accepting a jelly donut. Other states have to start passing similar laws where they can exert some kind of pressure on the NCAA to change its stance or have enough schools willing to leave and form a new NCAA.

PS....they ADDED a provision no athlete can be ruled ineligible by NCAA if they profit within confines of law...

BOOM...BOOM...

so now they have until 2023 to figure this out...

Advertisement
Back