Off-Topic Can someone explain this?

OriginalCanesCanesCanes

All-ACC (#1 most reproted porster on CIS)
Since starting weird *** random threads is a thing now on the off-topic board, I thought I would start this one.

I’m hoping someone familiar with big tech marketing can explain to me the thinking behind the splash ad for today’s WWDC.

As most of you know already, WWDC is Apple‘s yearly worldwide developers conference. I have been following it yearly for investment reasons.

I’m just wondering who gave the OK, and why they did, for the splash ad.

7359B405-DA84-49BF-950A-652DA6738B11.jpeg

When I first saw it, without any context, I thought it was a horror teaser for some new slasher flick. It just looks spooky as **** especially with those eyes. Am I missing something here?

Advertisement
I think those memoji are like their unofficial mascots now and probably have a little to do with the direction of vr. I would expect to see them a lot more.

I think those memoji are like their unofficial mascots now and probably have a little to do with the direction of vr. I would expect to see them a lot more.

I mean they’ve had those Memojis for a while, I’m sure you know you can sort of get them looking like yourself in IOS message app. I am familiar with the concept and I realized after a couple of seconds what they were.

I saw that online and I was a few feet away from the screen when I first saw it, and I swear to God, it just looked creepy AF. I honestly thought it was an ad for like a creepy monster killer/ slasher pic or something. Especially with the eyes.

Then again, I showed to a teen, without saying what it was, and they said, “those are Memojis, stop it”.

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes

Having worked for one of the major automobile manufacturers, in the IT department, dude... I was behind enemy lines for 5 years. Working on the west coast, they thought I was a red neck. And they openly called me one (crazy how that works). Meanwhile my peers back in Florida thought I was too progressive. lol!

It seemed like every company email/post/blog was directed to demonizing the white male. ****... on the official company LinkedIn profile, we counted 10 post in a row that featured a woman in IT. Meanwhile, the majority of my peers were men willing to work a sucky job for high end pay.

Long story short, I'm not a bit surprised to see Apple do that. ****, they actually released a pregnant male emoji. I literally died laughing.

Here’s a better representation of some of the marketing material I saw.

0C3157B6-B4AF-44C5-BD6F-5A368BE8CCCA.jpeg

Still looks like a horror movie ad to me.

I’m not railing against memojis, I even have one, I’m just talking about visual impact.

Spooky.

The Return of the Killer Memojis (special appearance by Chucky).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here’s a better representation of some of the marketing material I saw.

View attachment 188568

Still looks like a horror movie ad to me.

I’m not rsiling against get memojis, I even have one, I’m just talking about visual impact.

Spooky.

The Return of the Killer Memojis (special appearance by Chucky).
Ya I’m guessing they wanted them to look anticipatory with the dim lighting but found uncanny valley creepiness instead.

Advertisement
Back