Can Miami do something to produce more elite DTs and Olineman in South Florida

A lot of the issue has to do with coaching and that is because the coaching stipends have been the same for the last 30 years. Other states like GA, coaching pays much more. Many head football coaches don't even have to teach for their salary.

Advertisement
I remember when Nick Saban got his machine running in Alabama by providing steroids and a blue print to all of the local high schools in Alabama to produce these rare 3-4 type big *** "4 and 5 star" linebackers and NTs that only fit his system, and that oddly enough seemingly popped up out of nowhere only after Saban became the HC at bama.

Is there a way Miami, under Coach Richt, can do the same thing maybe starting out in the younger classes? Minus the steroids, of course.

Thanks
No. There's nothing you can do. If you could it would just mean larger Dade County drama queens anyway.

Yup.

More leagues down here are going with unlimited along the lines.

Not sure I'm cool with that in the youngest of leagues, but once you get to middle school ages (11u, 12u, 13u), I am down with it. That 6th to 7th grade jump is a serious one though...kids show back up the next summer for practice and the line boys are mammouths while the skill guys seemingly ain't grow.

I've seen countless skill kids...nice little players but nothing special...show up for that 12u season...get blown up by a kid, that a year prior would be a nice even matchup. They'd fade away like Spiderman in Tony Stark's arms...and then the next time I'd see them, they are fielding balls on the baseball diamond.

i coach 11u-12u now. We see it. This is where you see where a kid is going to go sport wise in high school The kids that dominated the smaller ages..or were productive.get a mental check out when a kid a few months ago was an otackle is now hunting them down as a Safety and smacking them around. I was to big to play optomist ball growing up had to wait till high school. My dad made me attend practice and run though. Which sucked lol. So i played PAL Basketball on the opposite days. It ended up working out for me though as a tackle in high school as i had great footwork..which was due to me being a basketball player all those years. I got one of Dalvin Cook's cousins on my team the last 2 years...kid is smaller than most..but has no fear size wise..and all the technique in the world as a cb. I literally have seen this kid carry 2 wr's in a cover 3 look better than ive seen my college teamates play it. Didnt know he was Cook's cousin till after the 2nd season..becuase his dad is a cane fan. A kid if he just keeps playing is a sure fire div 1 kid in high school with those genes.

I remember when Nick Saban got his machine running in Alabama by providing steroids and a blue print to all of the local high schools in Alabama to produce these rare 3-4 type big *** "4 and 5 star" linebackers and NTs that only fit his system, and that oddly enough seemingly popped up out of nowhere only after Saban became the HC at bama.

Is there a way Miami, under Coach Richt, can do the same thing maybe starting out in the younger classes? Minus the steroids, of course.

Thanks

You really believe Saban was able to create "3-4 type big *** "4 and 5 star" linebackers and NTs" in Alabama high schools by simply providing steroids and some magical "blueprint"???
You really believe that?

We need to collect DNA from Warren Sapp and Vince Wilfork. Get the medical school involved. Come up with some 'medication' so The U can 'engineer' a few DTs. What could go wrong?

Advertisement
Athletic departments at public schools in Florida are not particularly well financed. Especially ones in lower income neighborhoods. The lack of funding puts a big dent in strength and nutrition programs for a lot of these kids. It's tough to pump out 250 lb linebackers when your team has no strength coach, a 1000 sq ft weight room and a bunch of kids who aren't exactly eating well in the first place. That's why you see a lot of these kids from STA and Heritage that already look like college players while they're still in 10th and 11th grade. The athletic departments are loaded with cash and can afford top of the line training equipment and coaching. It's also why you see a lot of these public school kids enroll in college and immediately pack on 20 lbs of muscle in a seemingly short period of time. Florida has the best athletes but states like Texas and Georgia spend huge $$$$ on their high school athletic programs.

Their coming down the pike withthem changing up the rules in some youth leagues allowing the heavy kids to play based on age. Kids dont have to be cutting weight...i couldnt even play youth ball as i was too big.

They don't allow you to play at all if you are to big? In NYC they just put some red tape on your helmet and wouldn't allow you to play a skill position.

South FLA simply doesn't produce 6'2"+ 280+ kids who are nasty and athletic. As a coach down here, I can't remember the last time I faced/saw a legit DT. McIntosh is the only one off the top of my head.

Even our LB's down here are undersized. I was talking to the Pitt LB coach last week and he was talking about (what he called) "Dade County Linebackers". They're fast, they're nasty, they can strike...but they're all 5'10"-6'0".
"I can't recruit them and I hate it."

I don't know what's going on down here. I can't explain it. But we simply don't have those big nasty kids anymore. When I was playing high school ball I remember seeing big DT's and big LB's all the time. Teams like Dillard and Plantation would have multiple jacked-up 220lb Linebackers and 270+ DT's. There's still some down here but I feel like STA and Heritage have a monopoly on them.

There's some schools down here that will have D1 kids all over their defense EXCEPT Defensive Tackle. Their whole back-7 will be Power-5 kids and their DT will be some 5'11" chubby kid with a motor.

I also wonder if it has anything to do with football being so offensive oriented these days. All of the 6'2"+ 280+ kids are immediately being put on the O-line.

At the end of the day, it takes a certain type of kid to excel at DT. He can't just be big, he's gotta be nasty and twitchy. Those kids don't grow on trees in Florida. They're plentiful in other Southeast regions but not FLA for some reason. We've got plenty of DE's though.

South FLA simply doesn't produce 6'2"+ 280+ kids who are nasty and athletic. As a coach down here, I can't remember the last time I faced/saw a legit DT. McIntosh is the only one off the top of my head.

Even our LB's down here are undersized. I was talking to the Pitt LB coach last week and he was talking about (what he called) "Dade County Linebackers". They're fast, they're nasty, they can strike...but they're all 5'10"-6'0".
"I can't recruit them and I hate it."

I don't know what's going on down here. I can't explain it. But we simply don't have those big nasty kids anymore. When I was playing high school ball I remember seeing big DT's and big LB's all the time. Teams like Dillard and Plantation would have multiple jacked-up 220lb Linebackers and 270+ DT's. There's still some down here but I feel like STA and Heritage have a monopoly on them.

There's some schools down here that will have D1 kids all over their defense EXCEPT Defensive Tackle. Their whole back-7 will be Power-5 kids and their DT will be some 5'11" chubby kid with a motor.

I also wonder if it has anything to do with football being so offensive oriented these days. All of the 6'2"+ 280+ kids are immediately being put on the O-line.

At the end of the day, it takes a certain type of kid to excel at DT. He can't just be big, he's gotta be nasty and twitchy. Those kids don't grow on trees in Florida. They're plentiful in other Southeast regions but not FLA for some reason. We've got plenty of DE's though.

When i was in high school.Dillard had 2-3 dtackles that were 6'3+ 300+. Stanley Mcclover (nfl)was the dend and the opposite dend was like 245pds. All went div1. Dillard had a run with like 6-8 defensive lineman going to power 5 schools. They recently started it again in the last 3 years. But your 100 percent correct. A problem i also see is a bunch of 6'4+ guys that for whatever reason dont even come out for football and they are playing Center on some sh*tty basketball team thinking their going div 1. Semi athletic kids who can possibly play football but dont ...and end up playing rec ball at Broward or Miami Dade College.
If you find a linebacker in south florida that is 6'2+ ...your lucky. When i went to see Dillard in the spring of Jon Ford's sr year...Ford played defensive end and Dillard had a 5'8 220 pd kid at DT. Sh*t was hilarious, these hs coaches are backwards as ****

Advertisement
When i was in high school.Dillard had 2-3 dtackles that were 6'3+ 300+. Stanley Mcclover (nfl)was the dend and the opposite dend was like 245pds. All went div1. Dillard had a run with like 6-8 defensive lineman going to power 5 schools. They recently started it again in the last 3 years. But your 100 percent correct. A problem i also see is a bunch of 6'4+ guys that for whatever reason dont even come out for football and they are playing Center on some sh*tty basketball team thinking their going div 1. Semi athletic kids who can possibly play football but dont ...and end up playing rec ball at Broward or Miami Dade College.
If you find a linebacker in south florida that is 6'2+ ...your lucky. When i went to see Dillard in the spring of Jon Ford's sr year...Ford played defensive end and Dillard had a 5'8 220 pd kid at DT. Sh*t was hilarious, these hs coaches are backwards as ****

Funny what you said about basketball. So spot-on.

We have a 6'4" 272lb kid here at Southeast who thinks he's a basketball player. Big, strong *** jit. Athletic too! We got him to focus more on football when we got here but he was ALL ABOUT BASKETBALL prior to that. He's a D1 football player all the way but wants to shoot baskets instead. SMH (same with our 6'5" QB)

A lot of 6'3"+ kids who could play football rather play basketball. nowadays. Basketball is right up this new generation's alley. They love it. They all get to touch the ball. They get to play 2/3/4 games per week instead of grinding on the practice field all week just to play one game on a Friday. They don't have to hit the weight room hard.

Advertisement
Back