Can Jeff Thomas be Miami's Tyreek Hill?

TriStarCane

Coaching Carousel 2029
When thinking about this offense and what dimensions we can add to be more dynamic, I think about Jeff Thomas. I know there have been a lot of comps made and I think they are good, but can Jeff Thomas be our version of Tyreek Hill from Kansas City?

I think of Hill for a couple of reason:
1. their stature is almost identical with Hill being 5'10 185 and Thomas being 5'10 175
2. speed speed speed! Hill is faster, but Thomas is probably legit 4.4 or under.
3. more than just speed guys as they have great wiggle, short area burst and body control
4. special teams nightmares. Hill also served on ST for KC and had 7 tackles

Watching the highlight below, I can see Thomas doing a lot of what Hill was asked to do for KC: 9 routes, short stops, bubbles and tunnels and end around plays. I loved the play against Tennessee where Reid put him as a split back in the gun and ran counter. Hill averaged 8.6 touches last year for Kansas City and put up an impressive 114 all purpose yards per game with 12 total touchdowns (6 Rec, 3 Rush, 3 Ret). Can we utilize Thomas in a similar way? I also look at this comp as a good one for the reason of QB play. Alex Smith is not a top level QB, but doesn't need to be to utilize Hill's ability. I think this is important when looking at the uncertainly at QB this year. We don't need a QB to make tough intermediate throws to put our play makers into position. Hill got 8 touches per game basically doing 5 things. I hope we can use Thomas the same way! 8 total touches per game could be trouble!

Can Richt use Thomas in his system and maximize touches? Can he be incorporated into the running game? Anyone smarter than me have ideas of how he might be used on offense? Thoughts?

[video=youtube;--uYZkd70NY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--uYZkd70NY[/video]

Advertisement
Thomas has elite speed, I think he's a bit more developed as a receiver than hill was coming into college. He's a desean Jackson 2.0 for me as far as big play ability and receiving skills. He's very good at the deep ball, elite speed, good set of hands and can run excellent routes. Tyreke hill ain't no slouch either though. He a dog out on the field. Hill probably is the fastest player in the the league right now

Thomas has elite speed, I think he's a bit more developed as a receiver than hill was coming into college. He's a desean Jackson 2.0 for me as far as big play ability and receiving skills. He's very good at the deep ball, elite speed, good set of hands and can run excellent routes. Tyreke hill ain't no slouch either though. He a dog out on the field. Hill probably is the fastest player in the the league right now

Jeff Thomas will be a better tavon austin and as far as the deasan jackson comparison i would give that to mike harley

Advertisement
I'm hoping more that we use him like Hill. I think there are a lot of players that are good comps but I want richt to use him the same way

Qb: Watson/bridgewater 2.0
Wr: tavon Austin 2.0, d jack 2.0, a Johnson 2.0
Rb: ap 2.0 & m Ingram 2.0
Add elite D
= #6

Simple math guys

Advertisement
Thomas gives us a potentially elite returner and a kid that is going to stretch defenses. Would love to see him get the ball on some jet sweeps as well as the RPO's we ran to Coley last year.

Thomas and Harley can fill the same roles. Combine those two with Mullins (?), Berrios and Richards and that's a lot of big play potential receiving, PR and KR. Consider a much improved OL and Whooo Nellie!

Advertisement
I hope we get to see Thomas' potential as a kick and punt returner against BC and Ark St. Those will be blowouts and can let Thomas (and other freshman) get some quality burn. Before Florida State.

Thomas and Harley can fill the same roles. Combine those two with Mullins (?), Berrios and Richards and that's a lot of big play potential receiving, PR and KR. Consider a much improved OL and Whooo Nellie!
Most on the board equate Thomas and Harley in terms of position. I guess because of their size. I see them as different styles of WR. They can play very different roles in almost any offense. Harley seems like a pure slot.

Advertisement
I hope that Jeff Thomas can at least be as good as Travis Benjamin, constantly going over the top of the teams and killing it on reverses and ST.

now the question is will or CAN Richt give him the ball effectively?

Thomas = DeSean Jackson. Day 1 starter, instant impact.

Harley = Sinorice Moss type. Small & fast, but doesn't have much impact until his Jr/Sr year

[video=youtube;16ZYqLlilkA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ZYqLlilkA[/video]

Advertisement
Back