Can Golden grow as a coach?

Hstokes1447

Junior
Love him or hate him, we all know that Al Golden will be back next season. So my question is, can he learn to be a better coach?

I personally believe he has shown that he can make adjustments to his style. We have seen changes in recruiting with them going harder at South Florida kids. We have also see him make huge changes to the defense.

He doesn't seen to have that killer in him, that all great coaches have. That desire to burry opponents, never letting off the gas regardless of the score. That's the one factor that I believe is holding him and this program back. I want a killer on the sidelines someone cold as ice and doesn't give a **** how anyone feels about it. But can Golden become that?

Advertisement
Love him or hate him, we all know that Al Golden will be back next season. So my question is, can he learn to be a better coach?

I personally believe he has shown that he can make adjustments to his style. We have seen changes in recruiting with them going harder at South Florida kids. We have also see him make huge changes to the defense.

He doesn't seen to have that killer in him, that all great coaches have. That desire to burry opponents, never letting off the gas regardless of the score. That's the one factor that I believe is holding him and this program back. I want a killer on the sidelines someone cold as ice and doesn't give a **** how anyone feels about it. But can Golden become that?

You say this like this is Goldens 1st or 2nd year Coaching period?

And how is any of the stuff you said true?... he hasnt shown he can make adjustments to anything and he is terrible at recruiting South Florida kids. And we havent made "huge" changes at all to the defense.

like i said before the over exaggeration and dramatization on this board is very extreme smh

Sure he can. He has the skills to grow. Should we sit on our thumbs for an undetermined amount of time for this "growth" to take place.? I say NOPE! This program has been under the leadership of a "Head coach in training" for far too long. If after 4 years he still can't honestly assess the job he has done like he does so often with players, how is that growth?

It's only his 9th season as a head coach, so maybe sometime in 2023 he might have a breakthrough. We just gotta hold on tight.

C'mon guys, we ALMOST won. Make some noise!

Advertisement
FYI, Saban was similarly a nice guy, kissing babies and selling character when he was at Michigan State learning his trade.

Yes, he can and has already this year... Unfortunately it's come at the hand of *** whooping!

The Offense changed after Louisville!
The Defense changed after GT...

They are playing some real ball now!!!

Yes, he can and has already this year... Unfortunately it's come at the hand of *** whooping!

The Offense changed after Louisville!
The Defense changed after GT...

They are playing some real ball now!!!

We have 4 losses so we regressed. There is no improvement where it matters.

Advertisement
Paying him an awful lot of money hoping he learns how to do something you're paying him $2.5M to do. If he was going to apprentice he should have done that at Temple. UM isn't an apprentice gig.

The simple answer is no.

He does not have it in him (as you noted in your post).

All you have to do is use the first 5-games of the year and the second half of the FSU game as solid proof.

- First five games of the year, they stay in their base defense the majority of the time w/ some ****** alignments.
- Next three games and first half of the FSU game, they come out and change the alignments (not the defense) and press more outside and bring the LB's closer to the LOS. That allows the explosive athletes to make plays at or BEHIND the LOS.
- During this brief, yet successful time period, the team has been matching personnel as well. Gone are the days of having Kirby and/or Ambrister matched up on a slot WR running wide-open down the middle of the field.

Fast-forward to the 3rd and 4th Quarters and what do you have......BASE DEFENSE AGAINST THE NOLES 3-4 WR LOOKS!

The guy is risk-adverse.

That is as plain as day now.

A great coach/adjuster sticks with the game-plan that is working. He doesn't **** is g-string and revert back to the "don't gash me deep" mentality.

Here's a perfect analogy - Scared Poker Player

*Novice player decides to come out of the whole firing bluffs and making position moves.
*His game and adjustments have the players on his table (regs) off balance because he's aggressive.
*Player takes a dinner break and realizes that he's up a substantial amount. He is now going to play it safe and just sit at the table and "defend" his stack when he's got premium hands.

Everyone knows that type of poker is losing poker.

Everyone knows that type of coaching is loser coaching.

Advertisement
The FSU game is his ceiling, good for one half but simply cannot adjust to finish the game. To win championships that is simply not good enough. The difference in Saturday's game was not the talent or the mistakes, etc. It was the coaching. One coach knows how to win, stays aggressive and has faith in his players. The other coach looked at the scoreboard, saw he had the lead and decided he could just sit on the lead until the clock hit zero. We've seen it from him before along with the lack of adjustments. He's hit his ceiling as a coach. Better to cut your losses and bring in a real coach, then suffer one heart break after another because your head coach is too scared to win the game rather than not lose it.

Advertisement
If it was going to happen, it would have happened on the 15th. It didn't so........

Advertisement
Back