Can Duke Johnson make Heisman move? (ESPN)

MDOcane

here we go again...
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/76741/can-duke-johnson-make-heisman-move

ncf_g_Johnson_bl_600.jpg

It was around this time last year that Boston College running back Andre Williams made his move into the Heisman conversation.

Can Miami running back Duke Johnson and Pitt running back James Conner do the same? It is a fascinating question to ponder, especially when you consider how many good running backs there are in college football this season.

Melvin Gordon at Wisconsin and Ameer Abdullah at Nebraska top that list, at least for now. Gordon has been featured among the top three on the ESPN.com Heisman Watch for the last several weeks; Abdullah had been on the list, but he got hurt last week and dropped out.

With Abdullah off the list, Johnson picked up two fourth-place votes this week, including one from me. Simply put, his performances against Virginia Tech and North Carolina are hard to ignore.
Conner, who leads the nation in rushing, merits similar consideration as well -- though his team’s 4-5 record won’t do him any favors.

I asked one ACC defender who has faced both players for his input. Would he put Johnson or Conner on the Heisman Watch if he had a choice?

“I would definitely put both on the Heisman Watch because they’re both incredible players,” he said. “I would say that Conner -- he’s the most unique back we’ve seen in the sense that he’s 250 pounds, 6-2 and he can flat out run. It’s really a thing that you’ve never seen before.

“Duke Johnson is probably the most unbelievable athlete I’ve ever seen play. Some of the cuts he makes and some of the lateral moves he can make are out of this world. He’s one of those guys you know for a fact is going to make it in the NFL. He’s that good.

“It’s scary to play both players. I couldn’t tell you which one is better, but in their own way, they’re really good.”

For comparison’s sake, let’s take a look at how Johnson and Conner have fared through nine games, compared to Williams through nine games last season.

ACC on run

BC's Andre Williams made a Heisman run last year. Can Miami's Duke Johnson or Pitt's James Conner do the same? Here's how their numbers stack up:
Player Plays Yds Yds/Play TDs
A. Williams 246 1,471 6.0 12
D. Johnson 179 1,486 8.3 11
J. Conner 224 1,372 6.1 17
While Conner leads the nation in rushing, Johnson leads the nation in yards from scrimmage. He separates himself from both Williams and Conner because of the way Miami has used him out of the backfield.

Johnson has fewer yards rushing than both Williams and Conner through nine games; however, he has 21 receptions for 273 yards and two touchdowns. That’s also more than Abdullah and Gordon have receiving. If you factor in total yards from scrimmage for the two Big Ten backs, Johnson has the highest yards gained per play (Gordon is at 7.4; Abdullah at 7.1).

Resident ACC stat guru David Hale dug up some more numbers that tilt in Johnson’s favor:

Johnson has had at least 90 rushing yards in every game this season, the only player in the country to do that in his first nine games.

Since Week 5, he is second in the nation to Gordon in rushingyards (843).

Since Week 5, he has run 97 times and with only seven carries that went for a loss or no gain (7.2 percent) -- the lowest rate for a non-option back with at least 75 carries. Since Oct. 1, he has been tackled behind the line of scrimmage just five times.

Since Week 5, no running back in the nation has averaged more yards per rush than Johnson’s 8.7 (min 75 carries).

Overall, Johnson has 39 runs of 10 yards or more. Conner has more (40), though he has 62 more carries. Based on percentage of rushing attempts, no running back in the nation has a higher rate of runs gaining 10-plus yards (24.7 percent).

Hale also points out one more interesting stat. Through nine games, Conner (1,342 yards) and Johnson (1,213) rank second and third, respectively, in yards rushing among all ACC players in the last decade. Williams tops the list.

Based on his versatility and overall consistency, Johnson has the edge over Conner. In two games this season, Conner has averaged 4 yards or fewer per carry. The lowest mark Johnson had was in the opener, 4.5 yards per carry against Louisville, a team that geared all its efforts to stopping Johnson and putting the game on the shoulders of a true freshman quarterback.

Johnson also does not fumble nearly as much, and that needs to be valued as well.

Where Williams truly separated himself was in Weeks 9-11, when he racked up 897 yards rushing (including 339 against NC State). That incredible span helped send Williams to a 2,000-yard season and New York for the Heisman ceremony, where he finished fourth.

While Johnson isn't on pace for a 2,000-yard rushing season, the Florida State game next week is absolutely critical for his potential Heisman hopes.

In two previous games against the Noles, Johnson has 124 combined yards and averaged 3.9 yards per rush. Last season, he broke his ankle in the third quarter after coming close to 100 yards and missed the rest of 2013.

But now, coach Al Golden says Johnson is running better than at any point in the last three years. The opportunity is there for Johnson to make a statement in the month of November, the way Williams did a season ago.

Advertisement
Duke is having great season. However, 90, 93 and 100 yards against our best opponents (all losses) thus far is not Heisman worthy.

Duke is having great season. However, 90, 93 and 100 yards against our best opponents (all losses) thus far is not Heisman worthy.

Our last running back who made it to New York sh*t the bed against the best opponent he faced that year; and he, unlike Duke, was surrounded with one of the greatest collection of skill players in CFB history and a Heisman finalist at quarterback. But for Willis's screen pass against FSU (which, by the way, he got run down on), his performance against FSU was pedestrian at best. Duke almost had more yards rushing against FSU last year in the first half than Willis had in the 2002 game against FSU. Willis boosted his stats against doormats like Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, and a ****** V Tech team. Revisionist history is a common theme on this board. The comparison here is no slight on Willis and his amazing 2002 year. Rather, it serves to bring come context to Duke's performance this year. Comparatively speaking, this team, including the o line, is sh*t compared to Miami's 2002 squad. Every opponent on our schedule is keyed to stop Duke. No team in 2002 could afford to key on Willis because there were a few other players you might remember at tight end and WR receiving passes from another guy you might remember.

Our last running back who made it to New York sh*t the bed against the best opponent he faced that year; and he, unlike Duke, was surrounded with one of the greatest collection of skill players in CFB history and a Heisman finalist at quarterback. But for Willis's screen pass against FSU (which, by the way, he got run down on), his performance against FSU was pedestrian at best. Duke almost had more yards rushing against FSU last year in the first half than Willis had in the 2002 game against FSU. Willis boosted his stats against doormats like Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, and a ****ty V Tech team. Revisionist history is a common theme on this board. The comparison here is no slight on Willis and his amazing 2002 year. Rather, it serves to bring come context to Duke's performance this year. Comparatively speaking, this team, including the o line, is sh*t compared to Miami's 2002 squad. Every opponent on our schedule is keyed to stop Duke. No team in 2002 could afford to key on Willis because there were a few other players you might remember at tight end and WR receiving passes from another guy you might remember.

Couldn't have said it better myself, cheers

Lots of good info in that article. Crazy the amount of yards that Williams kid put up in the last few games of season. Close to 900 yards in 3 games, dam. Duke seems to be hitting his stride, lets see where this goes.

Advertisement
The fact that Duke almost gets a first down every time he touches the ball is crazy. He's in a different stratosphere right now, I'm glad he sat, but you have to consider he went out of the UNC game with 10+ left in the third quarter likely could have hit 250 based on what Yearby was able to do.

Duke had 177 all purpose yards and td against neb, 93 rushing 84 receiving. Duke had 152 all purpose yards and td against Gtech, on only 17 touches. Louisville was by far his worst game with only 95 all purpose yards and no tds. They were also the first game, sold out on the run and we were ultra conservative on offense...

If he stays healthy I think Duke breaks the single season rushing record. Duke will rush for 1800 yards and have 500 yards receiving. Unless this team loses 2 more games this year, those numbers should not only get Duke to NY. Over 2,300 yards of offense and 20 TDs should get anyone to NY if they play in a power 5 confrence. Remember Williams team lost 5 games last year.

You leave out that he averaged 4.5, 5.2 and 7.1 yards per carry in those games. It's a little misleading to just throw out the yards (which aren't low by the way), without telling the entire story.

Advertisement

Our last running back who made it to New York sh*t the bed against the best opponent he faced that year; and he, unlike Duke, was surrounded with one of the greatest collection of skill players in CFB history and a Heisman finalist at quarterback. But for Willis's screen pass against FSU (which, by the way, he got run down on), his performance against FSU was pedestrian at best. Duke almost had more yards rushing against FSU last year in the first half than Willis had in the 2002 game against FSU. Willis boosted his stats against doormats like Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, and a ****** V Tech team. Revisionist history is a common theme on this board. The comparison here is no slight on Willis and his amazing 2002 year. Rather, it serves to bring come context to Duke's performance this year. Comparatively speaking, this team, including the o line, is sh*t compared to Miami's 2002 squad. Every opponent on our schedule is keyed to stop Duke. No team in 2002 could afford to key on Willis because there were a few other players you might remember at tight end and WR receiving passes from another guy you might remember.

Tech finished 10-4 in 02', the team we just got through beating in Blacksburg is a ****** Va Tech team.

you obviously didnt read the article troll

Johnson has had at least 90 rushing yards in every game this season, the only player in the country to do that in his first nine games

Last edited:

Our last running back who made it to New York sh*t the bed against the best opponent he faced that year; and he, unlike Duke, was surrounded with one of the greatest collection of skill players in CFB history and a Heisman finalist at quarterback. But for Willis's screen pass against FSU (which, by the way, he got run down on), his performance against FSU was pedestrian at best. Duke almost had more yards rushing against FSU last year in the first half than Willis had in the 2002 game against FSU. Willis boosted his stats against doormats like Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, and a ****ty V Tech team. Revisionist history is a common theme on this board. The comparison here is no slight on Willis and his amazing 2002 year. Rather, it serves to bring come context to Duke's performance this year. Comparatively speaking, this team, including the o line, is sh*t compared to Miami's 2002 squad. Every opponent on our schedule is keyed to stop Duke. No team in 2002 could afford to key on Willis because there were a few other players you might remember at tight end and WR receiving passes from another guy you might remember.

I like the comparison and I get your point..but Willis (pound for pound) was the biggest freak we have ever seen at the RB position at UM and one of the top 3 freaks in UM history. (Sean Taylor and Warren Sapp are the other two)

I just had a slight problem with the direction of the post. Willis was a man child that year. No need to slight him to make the point that Duke is a monster.

But I get your point and I for one think that Duke is headed for NY if he keeps this pace up. And he will deserve it.

Duke needs to have at least 24 carries vs. FSU. Give him the ball and let him carry the load. This is his time. The Gus Edwards experiment needs to not take place for this game. Yearby should get a few carries when Duke needs a short breather. That's it.

Advertisement

Interesting post. Willis also sucked against Ohio State before he got injured. I've always thought that Willis was overrated by our fans.

I like the comparison and I get your point..but Willis (pound for pound) was the biggest freak we have ever seen at the RB position at UM and one of the top 3 freaks in UM history. (Sean Taylor and Warren Sapp are the other two)

I just had a slight problem with the direction of the post. Willis was a man child that year. No need to slight him to make the point that Duke is a monster.

But I get your point and I for one think that Duke is headed for NY if he keeps this pace up. And he will deserve it.

didnt follow the canes nearly as closely then as i do now...why was it that willis struggled against fsu before that screen pass? was our OL weaker than the year before? was it the same issue that led to us not crushing ohio state in the national championship?

Interesting post. Willis also sucked against Ohio State before he got injured. I've always thought that Willis was overrated by our fans.

I agree, in my opinion he was the third best RB on those Miami teams behind Gore(healthy version) and Portis

Advertisement
If Duke had 220-240 touches like those other guys he'd have 2,000+ yards and he'd be a top 3 Heisman contender without question.

Shame he wasn't the true focal point of our offense until a few weeks ago when most of us on this board knew we should just feed him from day one.

It's also worth noting that Duke only had 207 yards against FAMU & Arkansas State combined (our only two stat-padding games). That means he has ~1,200 yards through 7 games against conference/good out of conference teams. He easily could have double or even tripled that output if our coaches wanted him to.

Amazing player. Glad I can say I've seen him in person (when he tore up GT for 200 yards last season).

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree, in my opinion he was the third best RB on those Miami teams behind Gore(healthy version) and Portis

I refuse to rewatch any part of that game, but I seem to remember Willis starting to get some yardage just before he was injured. Regardless, OSU's D-line came to play that night. There were some vicious hits by both teams all game long.

I hold the same belief. Willis had better physical attributes, but Gore and Portis had better rb attributes, like vision and balance.

All I know is Dukes gonna do his thing on the 15 and I'm gonna be a witness!!! And when he does he'll be in NY!!!

Advertisement
Back