Can anyone give 1 reason why we haven't offered Fenton?

01Canes

Senior
Many posters who follow recruiting on this board, myself included, have been campaigning on Rashad Fenton's behalf for months and saying he should've been offered a long time ago. Here we are, less than two weeks until NSD, and he still doesn't have an offer. Meanwhile, Florida is pushing hard for him and he was just crystal-balled to Florida State this morning by 247 national analyst JC Shurburtt.

Al Golden quote from last week...

UM coach Al Golden praised Elder’s play during his sophomore year, and noted in an interview with the Post last week the team was particularly light on corners. “We have five cornerbacks on scholarship. Other schools have 10,” he said.

Golden himself admits that we're low on corners. Isn't he the same guy who took a subtle shot at Shannon when he first got here, asking how any coach could have CB depth issues at a school with South Florida as his recruiting base?

Our only CB commit, Michael Jackson, was a Golden/D'Onofrio/Williams camp find from SEC country without any SEC offers. Some feel he's underrated and he obviously has nice measurables. Hopefully he'll be good. Everyone is hoping we'll land Marcus Lewis, who would be our only blue-chip CB in a two-year span. And in a year with tremendous quality at CB in our recruiting base, we've ignored just about all of them.

Carlton Davis - Eliminated Miami after taking his OV here.
Davante Davis - Took his OV, but will likely end up elsewhere.
Tarvarus McFadden - Not good enough for 6-7 Miami, but good enough for FSU
Rashad Fenton - Still no offer.
Tyrek Cole - Off-field issues apparently.
Damon Arnette - Staff doesn't want him, but Harbaugh/Durkin from Michigan just had an in-home with him and want him badly.
Jeremiah Dinson - Staff doesn't want him.
Ronnie Hoggins - Staff doesn't want him.
Rashard Causey - Staff doesn't want him.
Sheldrick Redwine - Staff doesn't want him.

Even if we do land Lewis, there's still plenty of room to add Fenton as well. In fact, any staff that isn't functionally brain dead looks to stack chips. Fenton's a South Florida baller with tremendous ball skills who would bring added value in the return game. Very talented cover corner. Comes from a HS that's been very good to UM over the years. What's not to love?

Golden's criminal neglect of yet another top talent from our recruiting base is completely unsurprising. Is it safe to assume the primary reason we haven't offered this kid is because he's one inch shy of 6'0"? Or because we prefer to use strong safeties and linebackers to cover opposing slot receivers instead of putting 3 or more CBs on the field, which always ends up backfiring?

Watch Fenton's senior highlights, if you haven't already, and try to find one valid reason why we're not prioritizing this kid: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3235798/highlights/199314397

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know this was before a couple of decommits, but could it be that we have limited spots in the class and UM is once again putting all of their eggs in one basket with Lewis? Grades possibly? I haven't followed his recruiting so I don't know. At this point, we have missed on so many recruits that UM has never offered that it's probably more A coaching flaw than anything. Maybe there is a NJ dream kid that UM is waiting on. Who knows.

I'm sure His FSU offer has a lot of stings and fine print attached to it, otherwise he would have accepted it on the spot... He is plan B or C for them... They are just doing a CYA offer in case some else bails on them... Otherwise they would have offered him a long time ago. Let's be real. As for Miami, I can't help you there...

Advertisement
I know this was before a couple of decommits, but could it be that we have limited spots in the class and UM is once again putting all of their eggs in one basket with Lewis? Grades possibly? I haven't followed his recruiting so I don't know. At this point, we have missed on so many recruits that UM has never offered that it's probably more A coaching flaw than anything. Maybe there is a NJ dream kid that UM is waiting on. Who knows.

Completely agree with the bolded comment.

It's hard to imagine there not being room for Fenton in this class. We only took 1 CB last year (Mayes), who most here weren't very high on. Lewis is obviously a stud, but it shouldn't be an either-or situation with him and Fenton. You take both, especially since Golden has even publicly admitted in his latest excuse campaign that we're low on corners. It's not due to sanctions, it's due to being asleep at the wheel with guys like Fenton, Arnette, etc.

Advertisement
I'm sure His FSU offer has a lot of stings and fine print attached to it, otherwise he would have accepted it on the spot... He is plan B or C for them... They are just doing a CYA offer in case some else bails on them... Otherwise they would have offered him a long time ago. Let's be real. As for Miami, I can't help you there...

Regardless of whether he'd be able to commit to FSU right now, your last comment is what matters most here. Appreciate that you didn't defend the staff on this one.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It makes no sense. We should not lack talent at DB , WR and RB ever, it's crazy how much we are letting walk away

I guess the reason is that he isn't very big or very fast but I'd still take him so I don't know....

I guess the reason is that he isn't very big or very fast but I'd still take him so I don't know....

Speed doesn't seem to be an issue based on his senior highlights. As for his size, he has a bit of a slender frame but the kid can ball.

Advertisement
Not only that, but Fenton goes to Carol City. When was the last time we had a player from Carol City that didn't end up starting or being a major contributor? Bust rate virtually non existent (I don't count Gray, because he just got here).

Stop racking your brain, we're talking about Golden and company, we'd be here all day coming up with a list of kids that should have been had offers since Golden has been here.

The answer is, if we use too many scholarships on the CB position we cannot have our 15th best WR and OL on scholarship.

It's flat out criminal how Fenton does not have a committable Miami offer.

We've all been slamming the table for months on months about why is this staff not offering him?
Barrow style.

I see no legitimate reason to pass on Fenton. I've been saying it that he was Dades Best Cornerback this year. Pure football player and has the skillset you would want in a corner.

It sickens me, not only is he worthy of a take at corner. The kid is a dynamite return man. We need help on special teams too!!! I'm done.....

I'm at a loss of words really. My throat is completely dry for hammering about why Fenton is a Miami caliber player.

What valid said I've said so many times. Carol City kids work hard, they have a chip on their shoulder and I can't remember the last one to completely fail besides Willie Williams who was a nutcase.

It makes me furious cause it raises the question for me..... It would not surprise me to see this staff completely sleep on Newbold in 2016 just like they have done with Fenton in 2015.

Hypothetically if this staff is still even around by the time.....

I pray and I hope the Nayquan group for 2019 and Carol City coaches tell Al and company to ***** off, cause it's downright disrespectful how they have ignored Rashad Fenton who would love to play at Miami and is a legitimate take at a position of NEED!

And from a school that we just took a kid LAST CYCLE! And had a guy make it into the league who went undrafted and did well in Allen Hurns!

Rashad Fenton is a take regardless of landing Marcus Lewis. It's a sick joke.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back