Calvin Ridley on why he didn’t commit to the U and mentions Mario

Advertisement
I still remember his (and SBB's) recruitment. IIRC, there was some sort of 7x7 tourney going on and the kids said they would be making a major announcement that day. CIS even sent a reporter or something to cover (they were going to commit to miami) and then a little while later, the call was made, the bag was promised and they said they were taking their time to make a decision. You know the rest. @DMoney didn't it go down like this?

I disagree completely. We averaged nearly 44k in attendance last year. That was down 17%. Hard Rock makes the empty seats stand out because they're aqua. In the 2017 season, UM had over 50k at every game. Just 15k more and the stadium is sold out.

From 2020: Attendance avergage 55k from 2016-2020

RAD planning to increase attendance:

I really wish people would stop comparing Hard Rock to the OB. I think attendance could average 60k moving forward. I think people will show out when the team is winning at a high level. The difference is those other schools show out even when there team is not winning at a high level.

I wish people would stop comparing the City of Miami with Baton Rouge or Tuscaloosa. There is nothing better to do in those places on a Saturday than attend the local football game. They also sell out high school football games in those places for the same reason. None of that is new. Miami is an international city with so much more for people to do. In Miami, whose coming off the beach, some exotic woman, or any of two dozen other places to watch bad football?

To your point, I agree that our attendance isn't as bad as some think and will improve with better quality play.

Lol, the ticket office dropped the ball on the spring game 100%. They offered free tickets but you had to order them ahead of time and everyone was allowed to get a maximum of 6 per person. This being Miami, every single person took 6 because...Miami. Then half the people who got the 6 tickets didn't bother to show up for the game. They should have just made it general admission and turned away people who showed up after the stadium was full. Instead, people like myself couldn't go to the game because I was stupid enough to think that Miami fans wouldn't just take every single ticket they could whether they needed them or not.

This was a dummy idea they should never do a again. It’s an easy fix. Charge $ for them so people don’t just hog up the tickets. Make ‘em 20 bucks it doesn’t have to be much. You can still have a free allocation for high schools etc that will be more likely to show with them.

Advertisement
This was a dummy idea they should never do a again. It’s an easy fix. Charge $ for them so people don’t just hog up the tickets. Make ‘em 20 bucks it doesn’t have to be much. You can still have a free allocation for high schools etc that will be more likely to show with them.
I mean, they didn't have to even allot tickets. Just open the gates at (x) time and if they reach capacity, stop letting people in. Not only would that eliminate all the tickets that went unused, it would ensure that people had to get there early or miss the game.

So him and SBB were going to commit to Miami. We had it set up for them to do it at a 7on7 Saturday Fire tryout I believe. Nick got ahold of Tom, their foster father and promised to make the trip up worth. They held off their commitments. Tom was a few months behind on his rent. They went to Tuscaloosa to solidify the deal in person. They had their rent paid for six months ahead and a butt load of cash. The rest is history. That’s the “why”. I could tell you more, but….

I mean, they didn't have to even allot tickets. Just open the gates at (x) time and if they reach capacity, stop letting people in. Not only would that eliminate all the tickets that went unused, it would ensure that people had to get there early or miss the game.

Maybe. I think either option is better than what they did, but would suck to have to turn people away. People may even be dissuaded in going if they don’t have a guaranteed spot, to play devils advocate.

Advertisement
So him and SBB were going to commit to Miami. We had it set up for them to do it at a 7on7 Saturday Fire tryout I believe. Nick got ahold of Tom, their foster father and promised to make the trip up worth. They held off their commitments. Tom was a few months behind on his rent. They went to Tuscaloosa to solidify the deal in person. They had their rent paid for six months ahead and a butt load of cash. The rest is history. That’s the “why”. I could tell you more, but….

I think its how it went.

I respect the kid because him and his bro were foster kids that resided at SOS in Coconut Creek/Coral Springs area.

No doubt i believe he was sold on his visit..but believe his timeline was a bit off...because i remember the whole was gonna commit thing...it didnt happen that particular day and i honestly NEVER followed his recruitment after that day because i know it was a wrap.

Advertisement
Never gonna happen.

Miami has something like 37,000 in attendance in 2001 for Temple in the beloved Orange Bowl—the Canes finally good again after probation and years of sucking.
There's always something better to do in South Florida on a Saturday in fall if the Canes aren't a hot ticket. Miami isn't a sports town, it's an events town—and the game needs to be an event.

The city was on fire for Notre Dame in 2017; star-studded event and packed house. You'll never see that for Bethune-Cookman or a run of the mill ACC game.

I lived in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and Gainesville, Florida for years (combined). Football is literally everything there. The university is all the town has. Kids in nearby apartments had 52-20 painted in shoe polish on their apartment window for a full year after the Gators won that 1996 title.

You also discount that these college towns are state schools with 30K-40K undergrads and a slew of alumni that stays in town after graduation—where Miami is a private university with 11,000 undergrads in a large, diverse metropolitan city. Most Canes fans didn't attend UM and there's not the same loyalty and devotion to the program (across the board) that you get from alumni, who stick it out think and thin as it is their school and not just their sports team. Most Miami fans treat the Canes like a pro franchise and check in or out depending on the quality of the product.

Regarding recruits, yes, these kids will be a bigger college football experience and more pageantry for six home games a year, but what about the other 46 weekends of the year? That is where Miami kicks the *** off of every one of these one-horse, podunk little towns. They're all rah-rah on game day but a snooze fest the rest of the year.

The kids who want to be the big fish in the little pond will choose the small college town, or will be pushed there by family who wants them to theoretically stay out of trouble ... but those who know; they realize Miami is a completely different ball game. Win big during the season, have fun in paradise the off-season.
Gainesville and Tuscaloosa are college towns. Miami is not so there's no reason to compare them and I certainly didn't. We have 6M+ people in Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties. Yah, some are UF and FSU fans, and even if most are it shouldn't be that hard to get 60K fans. We averaged 55k for many years recently with mediocre teams.

If UM is a top contender in the ACC and a has national presence, fan attendance will increase. People want to be a part of a winner. That's a professional sports mentality more so than college. Miami is a professional sports town. People love a winner.

Advertisement
I think its how it went.

I respect the kid because him and his bro were foster kids that resided at SOS in Coconut Creek/Coral Springs area.

No doubt i believe he was sold on his visit..but believe his timeline was a bit off...because i remember the whole was gonna commit thing...it didnt happen that particular day and i honestly NEVER followed his recruitment after that day because i know it was a wrap.
Yeah that’s one I was intimately involved with. There was no winning after they didn’t commit. SBB is probably on Calvin’s couch right now. Saben is smart. Package deal, he never played and bounced to UCF of I remember correctly. Only Calvin was elite.

I still remember his (and SBB's) recruitment. IIRC, there was some sort of 7x7 tourney going on and the kids said they would be making a major announcement that day. CIS even sent a reporter or something to cover (they were going to commit to miami) and then a little while later, the call was made, the bag was promised and they said they were taking their time to make a decision. You know the rest. @DMoney didn't it go down like this?
Who's sbb again?

The one guy I think about is Lamar Jackson…Idk if those staffs put in an offense to fit him but he carried Louisville to big stages so id imagine he would of gave us a great spark in his time…

And he said he wanted to be a hurricane since a kid but we wanted him to play receiver
Denard Robinson too

Advertisement
Back