Calling out on barry jackson

▪ As for cornerback, a source in touch with UM said the Hurricanes would love to snag Georgia and former Miami Southridge cornerback Tyrique Stevenson.

The one big problem: He played for the Bulldogs in their bowl game on Friday and there’s no indication if he wants to transfer to UM or anywhere.

Stevenson — rated the sixth best cornerback and 35th best player in the nation in the 2019 class — has played in 19 games for the Bulldogs over the past two years and has no interceptions, one sack and 10 passes defensed.

Stevenson — who started three regular-season games in 2019 — made a huge play late in Georgia’s comeback bowl win against Cincinnati in Atlanta on Friday, deflecting a Bearcats pass on 3rd and 2.

“Probably was the play of the game. If they complete that, we don’t have a chance to win,” Georgia coach Kirby Smart said. “Did a heck of a job.”

We know Miami has interest and his name has been tossed around internally; this is something to monitor.

The unknown is whether Stevenson has any inclination to leave Georgia and return home; he has given zero public indication if he wants to leave. But there has been chatter inside UM about him.
And of course SMD retweeted it.

Advertisement

▪ As for cornerback, a source in touch with UM said the Hurricanes would love to snag Georgia and former Miami Southridge cornerback Tyrique Stevenson.

The one big problem: He played for the Bulldogs in their bowl game on Friday and there’s no indication if he wants to transfer to UM or anywhere.

Stevenson — rated the sixth best cornerback and 35th best player in the nation in the 2019 class — has played in 19 games for the Bulldogs over the past two years and has no interceptions, one sack and 10 passes defensed.

Stevenson — who started three regular-season games in 2019 — made a huge play late in Georgia’s comeback bowl win against Cincinnati in Atlanta on Friday, deflecting a Bearcats pass on 3rd and 2.

“Probably was the play of the game. If they complete that, we don’t have a chance to win,” Georgia coach Kirby Smart said. “Did a heck of a job.”

We know Miami has interest and his name has been tossed around internally; this is something to monitor.

The unknown is whether Stevenson has any inclination to leave Georgia and return home; he has given zero public indication if he wants to leave. But there has been chatter inside UM about him.
WTF is this? Like someone at UM said "we sure could use a Stevenson on our team" and Barry morphed that into a fantasy about him transferring here?

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point but do with the bolded language...

Jackson said more than SOMEBODY wants him home... he specifically said:
"We know Miami has interest and his name has been tossed around internally"

Tossed around internally infers it is coaches, or GA's or someone IN the program not just SOMEBODY in the greater Miami area... and also stated:

"But there has been chatter inside UM about him."

Again, he is inferring that INSIDE the UM walls people are talking about a wish list of players to enter the portal. Overall it happens probably everywhere but just seems odd that HIS name was picked out of everything and now there is more smoke to it. Prob that greasy Manasco or some other So.Fla coach who leaked it.

I'm sure Miami does have interest. I'm sure they have interest in a lot of players. I'm sure they have interest in Trevor Lawrence. Doesn't mean anything except they think he's a good player.

"Has been tossed around internally" is different from "has reached out to" or "has contacted or been in contact with." In fact, they're polar opposite.

If Jackson had intel that Miami had been in touch with Stevenson, he would have said so. He didn't.

Jackson is good with words. He chose his deliberately.

"Tossed around internally" really just means one coach said to another "gee, that Tyrique Stevenson is a darn good football player."

That is no violation.

Advertisement
I'm sure Miami does have interest. I'm sure they have interest in a lot of players. I'm sure they have interest in Trevor Lawrence. Doesn't mean anything except they think he's a good player.

"Has been tossed around internally" is different from "has reached out to" or "has contacted or been in contact with." In fact, they're polar opposite.

If Jackson had intel that Miami had been in touch with Stevenson, he would have said so. He didn't.

Jackson is good with words. He chose his deliberately.

"Tossed around internally" really just means one coach said to another "gee, that Tyrique Stevenson is a darn good football player."

That is no violation.

Well yeah obviously if he said they had contact that is a much much bigger issue.

Saying "gee that Tyrique is a darn good football player" is not news. It is not reporting worthy so why report it? Look at the other screenshot someone posted earlier and made your exact argument and said whats the difference of them saying they want Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence, Ol'barry doubled down and said the difference is that is not being discussed.

I disagree he is good with words, he has no idea what is being discussed. Do you really think NO ONE at UM has said "geez that Trevor Lawrence is a darn good player"? He is inferring that UM is talking about Rique AND they have a shot.

It doesn't mean much, but I got into a twitter black hole of comments a month or so ago, and it appeared that a lot of Georgia fans were criticizing Smart's playing-time decisions. It seems like they think he plays favorites. I don't know, maybe Kirby thinks he's Saban and is the hard-***, discipline type who favors the "fundamentally sound" players over the more dynamic guys. I don't know a thing about Stevenson or his playing time but its not implausible that he may want a change of scenery.

There is no evidence of any violation, and there is no violation implied in any way from Jackson's article.

Stevenson's family and friends live in South Florida. So do his old coaches, classmates, teachers, his pet goldfish, etc.

There's no evidence that Miami has contacted Stevenson, or that he's even considering a transfer. The only thing that you can assume from this article is that SOMEBODY wants him to come home. I'm sure a lot of people do. That doesn't imply that anything improper happened.

There's nothing to see here, IMO. Move along.

I wholeheartedly agree there is no evidence of a violation, and I never said anything to the contrary. But your statement that the "only thing that you can assume from this article is that SOMEBODY wants him to come him" is just wrong. Jacksoff wrote: "As for cornerback, a source in touch with UM said the Hurricanes would love to snag Georgia and former Miami Southridge cornerback Tyrique Stevenson." Jacksoff is overtly implying the message (i.e., the hurricanes would love to snag Stevenson) is originating from UM (via the source in touch with UM). Further, the context in which Jacksoff is reporting the information ("As for cornerback..." cornerback what? Wishes? Dreams? Or portal/recruiting?) and the inferences to be drawn when considering the context are pretty obvious.

And there are some other reasonable inferences to be made from that, but it's unwise to continue to dive into them here. This whole thread should probably just be nuked now, IMO.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well yeah obviously if he said they had contact that is a much much bigger issue.

Saying "gee that Tyrique is a darn good football player" is not news. It is not reporting worthy so why report it? Look at the other screenshot someone posted earlier and made your exact argument and said whats the difference of them saying they want Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence, Ol'barry doubled down and said the difference is that is not being discussed.

I disagree he is good with words, he has no idea what is being discussed. Do you really think NO ONE at UM has said "geez that Trevor Lawrence is a darn good player"? He is inferring that UM is talking about Rique AND they have a shot.

He's not implying that UM has reached out to Stevenson, that's the point.

Why is Jackson reporting it if it isn't news? You have to ask him that. Probably because reporters all over America care more about "clicks" than they do about printing stories that are newsworthy. He knows that Tyrique Stevenson will drum up interest, so he posts gossip to gain more "clicks."

I'm not saying that there isn't any smoke to the Stevenson/Miami rumors, but what I am saying is that absolutely nothing in Barry Jackson's article implies any tampering or any other NCAA violations.

I have sources close to UM and they say UM would like to find a quarterback in next year's class on Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields' level.

(PM me your bank account details so I can withdraw $3.99/monthly from your account for that info.)

Barry Jackson having a hilarious day. The Adam Schefter tweet Barry referenced is a fake account.
308F7B57-AF19-4536-9839-887397DA1629.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
It doesn't mean much, but I got into a twitter black hole of comments a month or so ago, and it appeared that a lot of Georgia fans were criticizing Smart's playing-time decisions. It seems like they think he plays favorites. I don't know, maybe Kirby thinks he's Saban and is the hard-***, discipline type who favors the "fundamentally sound" players over the more dynamic guys. I don't know a thing about Stevenson or his playing time but its not implausible that he may want a change of scenery.

This is a guy who put a future top 5 NFL pick at QB at....fullback. can't explain that, my man.

He's not implying that UM has reached out to Stevenson, that's the point.

Why is Jackson reporting it if it isn't news? You have to ask him that. Probably because reporters all over America care more about "clicks" than they do about printing stories that are newsworthy. He knows that Tyrique Stevenson will drum up interest, so he posts gossip to gain more "clicks."

I'm not saying that there isn't any smoke to the Stevenson/Miami rumors, but what I am saying is that absolutely nothing in Barry Jackson's article implies any tampering or any other NCAA violations.

You are correct that the word choice he uses does not imply tampering, but it is more so the timing of the article and naming a player not in the portal that UM would "love" to add that could insinuate tampering because now if said player does come to UM, you maybe have reason to suspect tampering. UM spoke about him internally, they would love to add him, but no indication he would leave UGA and then out of the blue he does and selects us the common investigator may wonder if tampering occurred based on the premature "wishing" of those internally at UM. I am sure any team in the country would take Rique IF he entered into the portal so again its not news unless it has smoke and there has been communication between him and UM even if it is through an intermediary such as a coach, family member, or teammate.

Can you point to ANY other newspaper journalist that did that? I am not saying at UM, I mean country wide. 247 doesn't come out with a "wish list" for future potential portal players, its just not smart.

It doesn't which means technically this is a non-story. But the implication of UM having internet is that UM has contacted him or is trying to make it known that they want him. Which is weird that Jackson would have this info but for someone at UM giving Jackson the info so he could leak it so that it would get back to Stevenson that Um wants him.
Looks to me like a lot about nothing. Team and media using each other.

I feel we’ve been having leaks for a min. I’m not sure where these sources r coming from, but Barry’s job is to report. That’s literally his occupation. So if an inside source tells him “we’re hoping to get Stevenson this off-season”, I mean what’s he going to do w that info? Especially if it wasn’t in a confidential setting? Just like he said to Blades u need to talk w ur personnel; they gave him the green light on releasing that info.

If anything, I blame Miami for constantly leaking chit. Whether that was locker room issues, Blades’ health, or now this. Loose lips sinks ships. I don’t fault Jackson for any of this.

Advertisement
I feel we’ve been having leaks for a min. I’m not sure where these sources r coming from, but Barry’s job is to report. That’s literally his occupation. So if an inside source tells him “we’re hoping to get Stevenson this off-season”, I mean what’s he going to do w that info? Especially if it wasn’t in a confidential setting? Just like he said to Blades u need to talk w ur personnel; they gave him the green light on releasing that info.

If anything, I blame Miami for constantly leaking chit. Whether that was locker room issues, Blades’ health, or now this. Loose lips sinks ships. I don’t fault Jackson for any of this.
Reporting rumors is journalism now ? A rumor that could have ramifications on the program negatively. People are already butthurt by Miami’s success in the portal. The ncaa just waits for Miami to fart before they move in on campus.

I’m amazed at what I’m reading here. But Miami media and Miami fans deserve each other.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back