Calais Campbell defends Gregory Rousseau against critique from anonymous scout

Scouts are literally overthinking this **** with GR. He’s a high motor, 6’7 270, lengthy freak with production in CFB. Even if he’s raw(he is), if you can’t make him somebody that plays 10 years in this league with a BIG chunk of it being a starter than you got no business being in the NFL. He literally can play on the strong side edge in a 4-3 or 5 tech in a 3-4 and not miss a beat. **** you could probably even make him into a 3 tech and have him play at 290. He still has that much room to grow.

Advertisement
This has been my take, almost deja vu watching Greg and seeing Ted. The reach, grab and one handed takedowns are classic Stork.
I always for years made it a point to buy a ticket to the Homestead Florida golf benefit Friday night auction for underprivileged kids .

Brother couple hundred bucks free open bar lobster and do on all night long.

I sat down many times with the Stork and Hacksaw ( carrying a 2-4) Jim Dugan of NWA wrestling fame .

What an AWESOME LMAO LOLOL TO TEARS conversation with those to brother HALL OF FAME laughter.

Here’s a TOP SECRET between us READY READY.

There’s a sign NFL football on someone’s shelf with my autograph on that football 🏈 YES with gold ink marker .

We all hammered and Hacksaw and Mad Dog Jim Mandich and Hardgove from the Steelers dared me to walk in the signing room so I acted like I belonged

1978 St Louis Cardinal RB

YEP true story

Anyway just a story to share

GOCANES

Someone wants him available in the 3rd or 4th round. Then they will pick him and say how they got a great steal. The NFL is a serious game man, they don't f around.

I may or may not watch 3 games this year

Earlier this year, Campbell said this about Rousseau: “I don’t care about the mock draft…I just want everyone to see this highlight tape! Gregory Rousseau is gonna be a problem! Straight up beast! I hope and think he will be better than me.”
LOL this coming from an actual star in the NFL not some CIS Porster or a scout that lives in his mom's basement with a basket of lotion next to him. I can't wait to see the teams that pass this kid up when he dominates.

Advertisement
It is always funny to see how assessments during a season differ from assessments in the offseason where analysts scouts seem to forget actual play on the field and instead focus on measurables. In Greg's case, this period has lasted even longer. I think folks are overthinking this one.

It is always funny to see how assessments during a season differ from assessments in the offseason where analysts scouts seem to forget actual play on the field and instead focus on measurables. In Greg's case, this period has lasted even longer. I think folks are overthinking this one.

Eh, I think people put WAY too much stock in these "early mock drafts" and it distorts their analysis.

I've posted before...these early mock drafts get traditionally get 1/3rd of the players projected in R1 will eventually go R1. Yet, if they appear in one of these mock drafts, fans and even analysts will run with the idea that these guys are R1 players when 2/3rds of them will not be.

Here is an example people would point to...Matt Miller's

Link

Right now, about 10 of those players are for sure going in R1 (Sewell, Chase, Lawrence, Lance, Waddle, Smith, Fields, Bateman, Surtain, Parsons) and there are a few guys that - per Vegas - are on the fringe of R1, including Rousseau...Rousseau is at pick 30.5 per Vegas, Najee Harris 28.5...so...I'm not sure the analysis of Rousseau is out of whack from the reality and the critical analysis of him is often supported by the film and his athletic testing.

At minimum, it seems he is on the fringe of R1. I think that's fair.

Eh, I think people put WAY too much stock in these "early mock drafts" and it distorts their analysis.

I've posted before...these early mock drafts get traditionally get 1/3rd of the players projected in R1 will eventually go R1. Yet, if they appear in one of these mock drafts, fans and even analysts will run with the idea that these guys are R1 players when 2/3rds of them will not be.

Here is an example people would point to...Matt Miller's

Link

Right now, about 10 of those players are for sure going in R1 (Sewell, Chase, Lawrence, Lance, Waddle, Smith, Fields, Bateman, Surtain, Parsons) and there are a few guys that - per Vegas - are on the fringe of R1, including Rousseau...Rousseau is at pick 30.5 per Vegas, Najee Harris 28.5...so...I'm not sure the analysis of Rousseau is out of whack from the reality and the critical analysis of him is often supported by the film and his athletic testing.

At minimum, it seems he is on the fringe of R1. I think that's fair.
It's not. He skipped this season because both he, whoever advised him, and likely the majority of Cane fans, thought he was a sure-fire lock 1st round pick following last (last) season. Not a "fringe" guy. His stock has dropped b/c more and more time has passed since he played an actual game. I'm not surprised that Phillips' stock has risen b/c he is a freak athlete; but, again, that goes to my point that the measurables seem to obscure play. It doesn't seem that Greg's testing numbers have been out-of-the-park.

Man Rousseau sucks.

He’s just an overrated quitter that had a fluke year.

God I hope he doesn’t fall to my Buccs. He shouldn’t be drafted at all.

BE3AD5D7-4AC7-4620-BC0C-B868C3FA747E.jpeg

Advertisement
Good on Calais for speaking up for GR, but as far as negative NFL evaluations go, that's nothing.

I still say Rousseau is the better pick over Phillips. Yes, I hated that he opted out, but he has the edge on talent.

Advertisement
It's not. He skipped this season because both he, whoever advised him, and likely the majority of Cane fans, thought he was a sure-fire lock 1st round pick following last (last) season. Not a "fringe" guy. His stock has dropped b/c more and more time has passed since he played an actual game. I'm not surprised that Phillips' stock has risen b/c he is a freak athlete; but, again, that goes to my point that the measurables seem to obscure play. It doesn't seem that Greg's testing numbers have been out-of-the-park.
Rousseau’s measurables aren’t remotely bad. His speed, height, reach and hands are once a generation metrics. Check his 10 yard split. However, his lateral mobility, change of direction metrics weren’t great. And he’s a true projection. He didn’t play enough games. Fans say ‘sacks.’ Scouts pick apart the film. He did get a lot of sacks lined up inside.

Ultimately, I’m a believer in his potential, but whether he proves out of not, the reasons will trade back to what we know now.

Mel Kiper needs to keep his fairy tale job and opinion out the spotlight...

Advertisement
I think the league / scouts are underrating the importance of reach and hands w/r/t rousseau. The same thing that jordan gets dinged for, rousseau doesn’t get enough credit for. There hasn’t been a DE prospect in a decade with his reach, length, hands and 10 yard speed (which is what counts). You can talk about power conversion, and it matters. But OTs are going to struggle with him because he can reach them and has the hands to push off. He will make them pay for mistakes.

i still think his upside > phillips.

Advertisement
Back