Calais Campbell defends Gregory Rousseau against critique from anonymous scout

Opinions are like a**holes..... everyone's got one.

Rosseau made a decision to opt out and it was his alone. As fans we may not like it but we have to respect it and we will see in due time if it benefits him or not.

Advertisement
I don't think that's fair though because it works both ways. You have countless ex-pros that can't tell a great player from a dud based off College tape.

The list of ex-pros in the media now that don't know **** about prospects is literally endless.

It's an inexact science.
No doubt about all the ex-pros. The topic was more about the the media types and that’s why I didn’t include the ex-players.

It continues to be anonymous scout season. But a former NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year is pushing back against the latest effort to possibly spark the slide of a top prospect via the whispering of criticism to a reporter without the attachment of a name to it.

It happened after Ian Rapoport of NFL Media posted a tweet that raises questions about Miami defensive end Gregory Rousseau, based not on Rapoport’s assessment of Rousseau but based on the assessment from a scout whom Rapoport didn’t name. “Greg Rousseau is one of the Draft’s most challenging evals,” Rapoport said. “One scout called him a ‘skinny little guy’ on tape, but he showed up at his Pro Day 25 pounds heavier. Some wondered about the athleticism, but he’s much bigger now. Plus, he was an opt-out. Lots of questions.”

It wasn’t an overt slam of Rousseau, since Rapoport tried to balance things out a bit. Overall, however, it was a negative assessment. And it wasn’t lost on Ravens defensive lineman Calais Campbell, who has been talking up Rousseau for a while now.

“I wonder what the scouts were saying when I was coming out?” Campbell tweeted in response. “Not athletic enough? Not strong enough? I am not a scout and I know they have a tough job. But I hope they don’t overthink this one. @Greg_R5 can play football. He is a playmaker! Shows up in both the run and pass game.”

Earlier this year, Campbell said this about Rousseau: “I don’t care about the mock draft…I just want everyone to see this highlight tape! Gregory Rousseau is gonna be a problem! Straight up beast! I hope and think he will be better than me.”

One of the basic realties of the draft — a reality that rarely gets mentioned as the draft approaches — is that plenty of the prospects who eventually will be picked eventually won’t pan out. Still, specific criticisms of specific players in the days and weeks preceding the draft from scouts who don’t attach their names and affiliations to the assessment must always be viewed skeptically, given the well-accepted reality that scouts who love a player will trash him to reporters in the hopes that the player will then linger on the board long enough for that scout’s team to pounce on him.

Always keep that in mind when seeing any reports attributed to unnamed scouts that point out the flaws in a given prospect’s overall game, character, etc.
If memory serves, didn't most punters do more reps on benchpress that Campbell?

His [Campbell] point is spot on, let Rousseau prove it on the field... Calais sure did.

Advertisement
Probably an OSU Fan Scout. If so I don't see the Bosa Brother tearing up the NFL.

I seriously doubt any NFL team takes these "reports" for much beyond gossip and background noise.

The NFL combine and the evaluations of their own coaches and scouts carry much more weight and are given far more consideration than the thoughts of some unnamed "expert ". You'd also have to be pretty stupid to believe the evaluations of someone who fears placing his name behind his words or on his work.

Smart teams will check the candidates out on their own and wouldn't ever rely on someone else to do it for them.

Despite all the noise to the contrary Rousseau will be fine

Advertisement
Based on this thread, his draft stock has reversed course and is climbing back towards the top 10 to 20.

I'm going to call the paper and cite anonymous sources.

Advertisement
I feel that many kids only look at what they can possibly get out of decision and ignore the ramifications for themselves and others.

When they ask for adulthood and pursue it how can anybody be upset at attacks?

Let me ask this is everyone here’s life a joy ride kiss kiss hug hug and never been attacked or back stabbed?

GR is an adult now and has the right to succeed to awesome heights 🙌 and the right to fail.

choose

(1) GR here’s big boy advice get drafted get paid and take care of business and proof your the best and get your money back .

(2) worry about the press scout or who ever there job is to feed off others to get paid.

I’m coming up on 45 years of work at one place do you think that this means anything heck no nothing thank heaven my sales numbers are impressive that’s the ONLY reason they keep me PERIOD.

The young kids they’re stab me constantly to the owner but the scoreboard doesn’t lie I make they’re paychecks LMAO and they know it.

This is the real world and it will eats its own.

GR DO WHAT YOU DO BEST 🙌🙌🙌

GOCANES

Rousseau is Campbell part 2. He's going to be a baller. If he slips below R1 he'll be a steal.
Campbell can relate. Measurables are very similar. Campbell was accused as I recall for taking the season off because his sacks and tackles for loss dropped. That was baloney. Palermo did a great job with Brown and Campbell then Shannon ran him off. Campbell ends up a middle second round pick. 15 seasons later who had the better career of the 2007 DL class?

Campbell can relate. Measurables are very similar. Campbell was accused as I recall for taking the season off because his sacks and tackles for loss dropped. That was baloney. Palermo did a great job with Brown and Campbell then Shannon ran him off. Campbell ends up a middle second round pick. 15 seasons later who had the better career of the 2007 DL class?
Why did Shannon run off Palermo? I thought he was supposed to be a good DL coach. So much of what has happened since 2001 has escaped me. Stopped talking to friends who were truly insiders. Never understood the Shannon era. Could not figure out what was going on...seemed the athletic administration was meddling in coachng personnel decisions, coaches were coming and going....

Advertisement
Why did Shannon run off Palermo? I thought he was supposed to be a good DL coach. So much of what has happened since 2001 has escaped me. Stopped talking to friends who were truly insiders. Never understood the Shannon era. Could not figure out what was going on...seemed the athletic administration was meddling in coachng personnel decisions, coaches were coming and going....
Palermo disagreed with Shannon's philosophy. Greg was thrown under the bus after 2005. Randy had never left the state and had a Rolodex of about 4 names. Elevating Walton was a mistake. Hiring Nix and his reasoning was comical. Elevating Clint to DL coach was a huge mistake after Palermo.

I thought he made a mistake by not playing in regards to his draft spot. However, when you consider WHY he opted out it actually shows a guy with strong character. It shows a guy that put his family before his own draft status. Anyone that picks him is getting a great player, and an even better person. To me he's the first DE taken. You can not teach what he has. You can't really test for what he has. His length, and his ability to understand his length and how to use it, is a **** of a lot bigger than a 0.2 difference in 40 times.

Also, I think some scouts put BS like this out there to hopefully make a player's draft stock tumble a bit so they can pick them up in a spot where they otherwise might not fall to.

Anonymous scout means, "I'm a ***** and can't back up my **** talking. I'm a soft shouldered ***** who can't handle any backlash from anyone else after I critique and bash someone." Basically... they're not man enough to hold up to their word.

I saw stuff from Rousseau that took me back to the days of the Stork. The way he could reach and make plays. Watching Ted Hendricks was a unique experience. And seeing this in just a few days from Rousseau was something.

I don't ever remember seeing this kind of bend and balance from Campbell.

I think Greg can be a unique player in the league.
This has been my take, almost deja vu watching Greg and seeing Ted. The reach, grab and one handed takedowns are classic Stork.

Advertisement
Back