Cager shows out at scrimmage, talks Rosier, receiver depth, and LSU

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Junior WR Lawrence Cager has worked with the first unit all of fall camp and was one of the stars of the first scrimmage this past Saturday, hauling in two touchdown passes with the first team offense. However, it’s nothing different than what’s been going on most days in fall camp, says Cager.

“Yeah, I just played my game,” said Cager. “Just a regular performance like I do every day in practice, nothing special. Just go out there and do my job. Some days the ball comes to you, and some days the ball don’t. But overall I feel [the offense] did a good job.”

Cager caught both TD’s from Malik Rosier and feels Miami’s incumbent starting QB has only been taking steps forward in the off-season.

“Malik has grown. He’s more comfortable, you can tell he is,” Cager said. “Second year starting in the system, you’ll see big things from him.”

The highlight of Cager’s 2017 season? That was none other than the final game of the year, the Orange Bowl against Wisconsin. Saving his best for last, Cager hauled in 4 passes for 76 yards and a touchdown in which he changed up his route on a broken play and was all alone to make the score. So, coming off a career-best game, he hopes to use that momentum to springboard himself into 2018.

“Of course, that’s what I feel like I can do every time (play like the Wisconsin game),” Cager said. “All the coaches know that, they were just waiting for the right moment. With all the guys coming back, me coming back, Ahmmon (Richards), and Jeff (Thomas), we’re ready to go.”

The coaches were waiting for a game like that from Cager, and the 6’5” receiver has improved at being physical and using his size to his advantage on the field. This off-season and heading into the fall, Cager has instead been working on perfecting his craft via his route running techniques.

“Well the coaches already know I can use my frame, for me it’s just route running and getting in and out of my breaks, things like that,” Cager said. “We try to work on the things that come harder to you in practice, not the easy things.”

The Canes’ roster is deepest at the WR position and that breeds a higher level of competition; however, Cager maintains his focus is not on who is coming up behind him, but who lines up across from him.

“I mean, yeah it’s motivation, but the real motivation to compete is the DB’s,” Cager said. “We have a lot of talent at the defensive back position, so we really don’t focus on competing against ourselves, we work as a unit to compete against them. That helps to create a good culture on the team.”

After spending all off-season watching tape on the Hurricanes’ first opponent, Cager has some thoughts on how LSU’s will try to defend the Miami receivers. Although he has no predictions on the outcome of the game, Cager believes it will be a battle between two hungry teams.

“I’ve been looking at tape (on LSU) since the season ended,” Cager said. “They’ve got a good DB core. We know they’re going to play man, it’s just going to be a dogfight to see who wins.”

Advertisement
“I mean, yeah it’s motivation, but the real motivation to compete is the DB’s,” Cager said. “We have a lot of talent at the defensive back position, so we’re really don’t focus on competing against ourselves, we work as a unit to compete against them. That helps to create a good culture on the team.”

That's leadership

Advertisement
AR, JT, and Lawrence C about to regulate...

tumblr_nmiob2oUYe1ttz156o1_400.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Langham came up big last year a couple times but, without trying to knock #81 , Cager is the big WR that can make a difference if he steps up. I remember he picked us over Bama at Army AA game.
Yes we have won some recruiting battles over baga, more recently Pope, Gurvan Hall and Frierson. Once we shut the door on baga and now gawga we'll take them.

Advertisement
Yes. He went up and took that ball like a 6’5” receiver sposed to. IMO, his best play in a Canes uniform.
"sposed to"

Lol. I haven't heard that one in a while. That's some funny ****! When trying to type "sposed", my spell check was like "what the f'uck are you trying to say"

Let's all not forget who threw him the ball, rosier can be as great as he is frustrating. He made alot of superor throws last year. Alot of those touchdowns to berrios last year were excellent excellent throws, that bomb to berrios in the duke game was sweet. We already know what he did against Fsu. Like i said before, we can win it all with rosier and if he has improved just a lil bit, this offense is going to start being a nightmare for any and everybody. Coach richt, coach dugans, coach thomas and coach hartley, they not playing. Coach searels in all honesty is definitely not trying to be the weak link, he got more fired up on that Ahmon richards block/hit against Fsu than almost anybody i've seen. That block by Ahmon ranks up their with the best hits of all time in this game, especially when you factor in when the hit took place in regards to the game.

LC should be making catches like the one against ND on the regular. He's a physical freak that is not only the tallest guy out there but the highest jumper. Anytime there's a 1 on 1 opportunity, Malik should be able to just throw it up for grabs and let Cager make the play. Hopefully we get to see more of that this year. I'd love nothing more than. To see a Lawrence Cager breakout.

Advertisement
Back