Butch Davis Seems Bitter

Butch Davis actually thought he was going to win. That's the hilarity.

I don't believe that he was second place or nearby. Naturally the slant will be in that direction, to appease and comfort the tunnel vision cult. They'll be suckers for anything.

Darn. Darn. We really wanted to hire your guy. It was so close. If only that other guy hadn't taken the wrong turn and stumbled into the interview room just as we planning to finalize with Butch. You know, the guy we contacted when he still had a job a month earlier. That was really a head fake, in favor of Butch.

Advertisement
Hilarity is our admin hiring Randy Shannon and Al Golden with their last 2 hires. Nothing is out of the question with their recent hirings. D$ called a Butch hire the day before Richt got fired. I thought signs were pointing to him also. Sometimes a list is made, something similar to the ones coaches use during the NFL draft. If a higher rated guy becomes available, you take him.

What's done is done, but I don't understand the celebration of not getting Butch.

I wanted Butch Davis because I didn't see any better candidates that I knew wanted the job.

Mark Richt was a better candidate.

I'm not going to wallow in his disappointment, but I'm also not going to care if he wants to be salty about it.

After getting his recruiting sanctions lifted, in 2000, Butch beat FSU, but got cheated out of playing Oklahoma for the National Championship - and of course during those years leading up to then, Mark Richt was the Offensive Coordinator at FSU.

Maybe didn't know him, but certainly didn't have any reason to like him.

And even before sanctions were lifted, Butch still ultimately outrecruited FSU. I bet you can't find 20 FSU RBs & WRs from that time, that put up the numbers Portis,James,Moss, & Wayne put up.

Advertisement
Butch has too much pride....and would've love to have him; however, I roll w/ Mark. When his name first came up and people were dissing him, I defended him b/c I think he's a helluva coach. Winning 73% of your games and 70% in conference against teams that are consistently chasing BCS and National Title dreams is impressive.

However, since Butch was basically advocating that he wanted to fix what he started, I wanted him...at the same time, though, if he truly "loved" the University, he wouldn't be so gun-ho on being the head coach only. He could help the university by his defensive pressence. And yes, it's hard to go from being a head coach back to being a co-ordinator, but millions of coaches do it all day long. Sometimes, you need to take a step back b4 you can take two steps forward. The UNC scandal hurt him more than he knows and if he really wanted to get back into a head role, he may have to accept a co-ordinators/assist head coaching gig, first, to resurrect his image.

Advertisement
Back