Burley Track Meet -UM guys do well--Schwartz runs 10.13-100m--

Freshman
Banned
Even with the decent trailing wind of 2.1 mps it still equates to a 10.26--100m for Schwartz.

Thomas Burns cruised to a victory--
1--Thomas Burns Miami Northwestern HS.. 36.97 (fastest time in nation so far)
2--Jabari Bryant Rickards HS.............................. 38.21
3--Jermanie Byrd St. Thomas Aquinas HS.....39.22

Alphonso Blades finishes 7th in 400m with time 49.53 --a fraction off the HS national elite mark of 49.50.
Blades has the 81st fastest 400m time so far in the US as a baller first.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Even with the decent trailing wind of 2.1 mps it still equates to a 10.26--100m for Schwartz.

Thomas Burns cruised to a victory--
1--Thomas Burns Miami Northwestern HS.. 36.97 (fastest time in nation so far)
2--Jabari Bryant Rickards HS.............................. 38.21
3--Jermanie Byrd St. Thomas Aquinas HS.....39.22

Alphonso Blades finishes 7th in 400m with time 49.53 --a fraction off the HS national elite mark of 49.50.
Blades has the 81st fastest 400m time so far in the US as a baller first.

Not a bad time for blades - Following in his uncle’s footsteps.

Advertisement
Schwartz, his future is track. Football he can do, but that dude belongs on the track.

Schwartz doesnt have Olympic speed if he wants to have a profitable future as an athlete his best bet is football.

Schwartz doesnt have Olympic speed if he wants to have a profitable future as an athlete his best bet is football.

Show me the senior in high school that would make our Olympic team today. You know what, there aren't any. I'm not sure there ever has been either.

That brings us back to reality. He'll get there, that's almost a given at this point. His 10.15 is the fastest time for a u18, world wide, ever. Should he focus solely on track, he is on pace to be our top sprinter some years down the road.

Advertisement
I wished we had offered him. I know, I know, our WR class is amazing (and I agree) and who would you drop for him...............but call it the Al Davis in me, but speed like that doesn't come around very often, and maybe it doesn't translate to football - I thought his highlights were pretty good though - but I sure as heck want to make sure I have a guy like that on my team.

I know i only played highschool football in Canada, and the quality is nothing like South Florida, but I think some of the mentality can translate. I could run well, and nobody on the field scared me no matter how big and strong they were, NOBODY...............but man I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared when the one guy in the league with "elite burner speed" was on the field.

Show me the senior in high school that would make our Olympic team today. You know what, there aren't any. I'm not sure there ever has been either.

That brings us back to reality. He'll get there, that's almost a given at this point. His 10.15 is the fastest time for a u18, world wide, ever. Should he focus solely on track, he is on pace to be our top sprinter some years down the road.

Maybe a 1% chance he'll become good enough for the Olympics. Much higher shot at making it to the NFL.

Like i said before on this subject Marvin Bracy was much faster out of highschool, barely made the Olympics once after finishing 3rd in a prequalifying match. And he quit football to focus soley on track still wasnt fast enough.

Then he tried to try out for the NFL and was cut by the colts. Whoever told him to focus on track gave him bad advice.

Much harder to get to the Olympics telling a fb player track should be his focus is naive. Schwartz has a better shot at the NFL if he focuses on football which is what he should do.

Advertisement
Not a bad time for blades - Following in his uncle’s footsteps.
Bennie was never that serious about track. Never realized his potential. Told this by a UM track teammate.

I have a feeling Al's potential might be higher, too.

- Agreed that Schwartz has a better shot at the NFL if he focuses on football (in terms of dollars made in the next 8 years).
- Disagree somewhat about Bracy. Bracy’s high school PB was 10.28; 10.05 was windy. I wouldn’t call that way faster...about the same.
- But it’s way harder to make a US Olympic team at 100m or 200m than it is to get drafted in the NFL when you have Schwartz’s measurables.
- Schwartz has a much better chance than 1%, he’s “good enough” for the Olympics now...just not for the US team.

Schwartz sucks at football. Thats the problem

Maybe a 1% chance he'll become good enough for the Olympics. Much higher shot at making it to the NFL.

Like i said before on this subject Marvin Bracy was much faster out of highschool, barely made the Olympics once after finishing 3rd in a prequalifying match. And he quit football to focus soley on track still wasnt fast enough.

Then he tried to try out for the NFL and was cut by the colts. Whoever told him to focus on track gave him bad advice.

Much harder to get to the Olympics telling a fb player track should be his focus is naive. Schwartz has a better shot at the NFL if he focuses on football which is what he should do.

Marvin Bracy was not much faster I don’t know where you got that from. Marvin Bracy ran 10.09 once in high school. It’s March and he’s running 10.13, it’s not unrealistic to think he can run 9.9 and 20.1 this year. To your point track athletes don’t get paid unless you’re consistently top 3 in the world. He should do both in college. He should try to model his game after Tyreke Hill but the problem i see is he doesn’t have elite football instincts. NFL should be number 1 goal even if he were to only have a 3yr nfl career he would make more money than he would on the track.

Advertisement
For those saying he isn't that great of a football player or that he lacks instincts, his highlight tape is as good as any.

He's not a go up in traffic WR or even the shiftiest guy with the ball in his hands. What you have to account for him though is that at any point, you make one bad step, you arent catching up to this guy. That means you either have to have help or you're going to get housed. Every time he is on the field, you better be ready.

That in itself makes him a unique talent. Dorsett was our last burner and he wouldn't be able to run with this dude. A year or three from now, look out, he'll be even faster.

He can do either and we would all be doing blackflips had he come here.

Stop making sense.

Advertisement
Back