Burgess-Becker Breaks Down Top 4

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2015 Monarch ATH Shawn Burgess-Becker is looking to prove to other teams in south Florida that his team isn’t a joke.

“We’re just trying to let people know that we are a football team just like everyone else, have people show us respect and we’re trying to make the playoffs this year, have a better season from last year and just keep on going from there.”

The 6’2 190 pound athlete isn’t looking forward to any game in particular but rather taking it one game at a time.

“We’re taking it one game at a time, we don’t really have a game focused on. After that game we are just going to focus on the next game.”

Burgess-Becker has experience on both sides of the ball playing safety last year for his team and also working as a receiver this summer, but he won’t be limited to only those positions this year.

“I don’t have a preference for any position. They have me playing a little quarterback this year behind our starting quarterback Michael Harris, so I’ll be all over the field this year.”

The Monarch product still has a lot of time to make a decision as to what college he will attend, but that didn’t hold him back from releasing a list of four top schools.

“Alabama, LSU, Miami and UF.”

The versatile athlete broke down each school and what he likes about them.

Alabama: “Alabama is in my top four, thats the first school who approached me as a sophomore and offered me. So, I have a lot of respect for their team and a lot of respect for coach Saban, he is a good guy. I took a visit up there, met all the coaches, half of the players, sat down and had a chance to talk to Nick Saban one of the best coaches out there. So that’s why Alabama is one of my top teams.”

LSU: “ I’ve been talking with coach Raymond a lot, I took a visit up there too. I met a couple of the players, coaches and the facilities are very nice. That’s just one of those big teams out there that you should have in your top 4.”

Florida: “Growing up I was a big UF fan. Coach Travaris Robinson approached me, I took visits up there, like probably three visits, I met more coaches the second time I went and I got a chance to sit down with the head coach there and talk with him. He’s a very good guy, he told me to take my time and make a good decision. He tell’s you how it is.”
Miami: “Just growing I always watched Miami football. My family members are big fans of the Miami Hurricanes and Miami is one of those big schools up there too. I took visits over there to UM, met coaches and players. It’s a home school too, so I’ll be close to home.”

Burgess-Becker is in contact with offensive coordinator James Coley often and enjoys speaking with him.

“Sometime I call coach Coley once a week, when I got time because most of the time I’ll be at football practice and then working out after.”

When asked what will be the key factors in his choice, the ability to get players to the NFL will play a serious role.

“I just want to see if they can get me to the next level, have me well fitted in college you know school wise, help me get my degree and just move on to the next level.”

*Will be attending Alabama vs LSU and Miami vs UF
*Favorite player growing up was Sean Taylor

Advertisement
Canes have their work cut out for them, he's gonna be a battle and isn't as easy as a prospect as people think.

I've seen so many south Florida kids list Sean Taylor as an influence to them or their favorite player. Man was such a monster. RIP

Advertisement
Canes have their work cut out for them, he's gonna be a battle and isn't as easy as a prospect as people think.

This staff can recruit.

I love our staff, but the jury is still out whether they can recruit the elite 5* recruits, so far we are batting .000%

So now, Tracy Howard wasn't a 5*? Kc McDermott is a 5* on 247 composite, isn't he a commit?

Who cares about the star ranking, most of them are done by dumbasses who watch highlight on youtube...

Advertisement
If you favorite player was Sean Taylor, may he rest in peace, so the respect he is due. Come to THE U and pay homage like The Duke.

Advertisement

This staff can recruit.

I love our staff, but the jury is still out whether they can recruit the elite 5* recruits, so far we are batting .000%

Feel free to let Duke, Tracy, AQM, Chad Thomas, KC, Coley, Burns, etc that they're not elite talent.

Duke committed long before this staff took over. Tracy is best friends with Duke and Malcolm, their family's are close, and his dad is a huge Cane...did you really think he'd go to Florida? AQM is here because he couldn't get in ND. Kc come on, dude was lock no matter what. Coach Bennett deserves all the credit for Coley being here. Our staff is playing by the rules so its tough, but losing Cooper, Collins, Thomas, Mackenzie Alexander, Rashad Robinson, Michel, Cooke, and Lane is not easy to stomach. Just my opinion, others have a right disagree that's fine.

Last edited:

This staff can recruit.

Feel free to let Duke, Tracy, AQM, Chad Thomas, KC, Coley, Burns, etc that they're not elite talent.

Duke committed long before this staff took over. Tracy is best friends with Duke and Malcolm, their family's are close, and his dad is a huge Cane...did you really think he'd go to Florida? AQM is here because he couldn't get in ND. Kc come on, dude was lock no matter what. Coach Bennett desires all the credit for Coley being here. Our staff is playing by the rules so its tough, but losing Cooper, Collins, Thomas, Mackenzie Alexander, Rashad Robinson, Michel, Cooke, and Lane is not easy to stomach. Just my opinion, others have a right disagree that's fine.

NEGGED!

Advertisement

This staff can recruit.

Duke committed long before this staff took over. Tracy is best friends with Duke and Malcolm, their family's are close, and his dad is a huge Cane...did you really think he'd go to Florida? AQM is here because he couldn't get in ND. Kc come on, dude was lock no matter what. Coach Bennett deserves all the credit for Coley being here. Our staff is playing by the rules so its tough, but losing Cooper, Collins, Thomas, Mackenzie Alexander, Rashad Robinson, Michel, Cooke, and Lane is not easy to stomach. Just my opinion, others have a right disagree that's fine.

Tracy was a UF lock FYI.. Way to spin the Coley thing btw.. He said out of his own mouth Bennett never once recruited for Miami.. Glad you know more than he does. Staff wasn't even on Mackenzie hard.. Collins is vastly overrated. Robinson wanted to play for DB-U (current) while Cooper went to play for a team that won 3 of 4 NC's.. I hate that we missed on the 182 lbs of MT but for some reason I think we'll live. Losing Michel sucks but there's a lot miles on those tires.. and UGa is doin work with young RB's. I'll believe Cooke is a Gator when he signs. Notice you didn't mention Bush, McCord, Kirby, Flowers, Sandland, Burns, etc.. Good stuff.

This staff can recruit.

you just contradicted your first statement if the staff got 1 elite player we are not batting .000%

This staff can recruit.

Duke committed long before this staff took over. Tracy is best friends with Duke and Malcolm, their family's are close, and his dad is a huge Cane...did you really think he'd go to Florida? AQM is here because he couldn't get in ND. Kc come on, dude was lock no matter what. Coach Bennett desires all the credit for Coley being here. Our staff is playing by the rules so its tough, but losing Cooper, Collins, Thomas, Mackenzie Alexander, Rashad Robinson, Michel, Cooke, and Lane is not easy to stomach. Just my opinion, others have a right disagree that's fine.

NEGGED!
2x

Advertisement
Back