BuffsInsight: The Coach Deion Sanders from JSU to Colorado Mega Thread

Advertisement
Bunch of overly emotional men who just wait for their favorite posters to post so they can have an opinion lol
Ask yourself:

Who would be talking about this today if Zo didn't bring it up? (No one)

Who wins by the continued conversation? (Deion)

What net positive is there for Miami to divide fans and alumni? (None)

Emotion vs. strategy

Last edited:
1) I find it hypocritical that Deion was lambasted for turning over CU’s roster yet we praised Mario for telling parents to get their kids and pushing transfers

2) One thing I do know is if Deion was a Cane, everything he does would be praised & justified.
Good post.. Appreciate your take.
(Only quoted these two bc everything else I agreed mostly)

1) I thought Mario could've been more like Deion when he arrived. I think his attempt to be honorable cost us games & delayed the rebuild. Just business.

2) Deion being a Nole/Cane doesn't matter for me. I wouldn't get up to answer the door for Sapp (Bucs fan). It's his narcissism.

Advertisement
Man, I’ve been staying away from the main boards for a minute b/c this spot has become way, too, toxic. However, I’m going to chime in & walk away from this.

1. Zo is in an admin position, now. There’s a way to handle a lot of stuff when u’re in leadership vs. being a former player. Sometimes when u post things publicly, it can have an adverse affect. Now, it’s giving Deion & CU more undue attention as it’s highlight more of the “Prime Effect” where former great players of a past rival school is spending their Saturday’s in Boulder vs. their Alma Mater. I agree w/ Zo sentiments, but would rather it had been via private messages vs. unintentionally adding to the hype machine.

2. I respect Deion as the player; I’ve said numerous times that I wish he & Derrick Brooks were Canes. Deion as person, I don’t know him. What I perceive is he’s a self glorifying hype machine, but that doesn’t mean he’s one as a person. What I do know is Deion, as a NFL legend was involved in youth football & came up the long way (pause) to become a P5 coach. That says something, if imma be honest.

3. @Canedude08 Ur sentiments sound good, but my ninja u constantly spit emotional facts on this board vs. facts. U never attended a HBCU, yet u said it needs to be protected. What I agree w/ u on is Deion saying God called him to the HBCU & he preyed on folks emotions by using such verbiage. That’s always been my biggest issue, not just w/ Deion, but w/ ppl in general saying it was their “calling” only to bounce at a better opportunity presented. HOWEVER, even w/ that being said, u have some things incorrect.

-We praised Richt for using his own funds to help get Miami Athletics step in to the 21st Century, yet Deion used his own funds & his connections to help JSU step into the 20th Century. No one talks about that

-Many HBCUs have been misappropriating funds for yrs. HBCU athletics have been their own worst enemy, which is y JSU have bled through Presidents. The Admin at JSU broke several promises towards Deion & his staff, where they wanted their hand out from the new found exposure, but wasn’t reinvesting to continue to grow. Deion said many times it wasn’t about the $$ for him, but he felt guilty that his staff wasn’t remotely making the $$ they deserve

-Do you not recall Ed Reed tearing BCU a new one for the ineptitude found w/in their admin?

-If u recall, almost immediately Deion’s personal items were stolen from him on campus.

-We praise coaches who go from FCS to G5 to P5 schools all the time, but Deion got an opportunity to expand his coaching portfolio, his sons’ NFL opportunities, and he’s villainized. Again, I agree he should’ve never brought God & his calling into the situation, but what he did was what other coaches have done for yrs, that includes going back to their Alma Maters just to get a bigger job.

4. Hate or love Deion, but what he’s done for CU’s image in yr 1 is unimaginable, **** near unfathomable. First off, CU was projected to win less than 3 games this yr by all the experts. The reason CU & Sanders is getting so much love & hype is b/c they went on the road against a Top 25 team (at the time) & punched them dead in the mouth. They were supposed to be blown out that game. If CU loses game 1, we don’t see this hype.

5. I find it hypocritical that Deion was lambasted for turning over CU’s roster, a roster that went 1-11 last year, & 14-28 over the previous 4 yrs, yet we praised Mario for telling parents to get their kids and pushing transfers from a roster that went 7-5 in 2021 and 28-21 over 4 yrs. The fact is, Colorado is a program that’s gone 89-152 over the past 20 yrs. Colorado is going to make more $$ in merchandise, media, and ticket sales this yr than their past 5 yrs combined. Whether u hate him or love him, that’s impressive. And yes, a roster change needed to happen, just like our roster needed overhauling. He took advantage of a NCAA rule

6. Mike Irvin & Deion are fa sho friends, & I know this factually. Warren was a colleague for many years w/ Deion on the NFLN, & was close to joining Deion’s staff at JSU. It’s now rumored he may be joining Deion’s staff at Colorado. The Rock & Deion bonded at UA. Both were ambassadors for the brand & Plank is a great friend to both. All 3 of those men are off in to the sunset of their lives. Was I upset they were at CU supporting Deion knowing this info? Nope. Was I taken aback seeing them rock CU gear? A lil, but it’s not like they were rocking Deion’s FSU jersey. If I saw that, I would’ve lost it.

7. CU may not be anything more than a hype train for 3 weeks. The media loves Deion now, but don’t think for one second they are not salivating to see CU lose their first game. Deion knows this as well

8. This board has been giving way too much undue attention to things or programs that have chit to do w/ us. One thing I do know is if Deion was a Cane, everything he does would be praised & justified. The reason I stop my association w/ the main board is due to a lot of disingenuous, hypocrite post. Plus, there’s no more OBJECTIVE discussions. It’s extreme on either side. For God’s sake, I peruse & I see @Tru C & @Suhrthing going back & forth, being Disrespectful AF on a simple subject about a guy who DON’T EVEN CLAIM FSU & haven’t wore that jersey in over 30 yrs.

At the end of the day, it USED to be all about The U, but now it’s become all about Deion, Norvell, Saban, Kiffin, former recruits, etc. etc.

Anyways, ya’ll can go back to ur regularly scheduled program of extending a non-starter topic about some old guys who are friends and former colleagues.
Ed was dead wrong in the way he communicated BCC shortcoming.

I remember him being a chief of staff at Miami and didn’t utter one negative thing about Miami despite the admin being a **** sandwich

Last edited:
That Colorado agenda annoying asf bruh f them f that team f that place f Deon. even on my YT recommendations its all Deon the whole fkin thing barely anything cane sh, even if I block it he still gets through the algorithm.
Let’s see how they do against Oregon and usc and even ucla. They should have lost to csu but those guys were more interested in injuring players than actually winning the game

Shutterstock_9119868ki.jpg
img_20230827_165517_3000_x_2000_pixel.jpg
6ba4504d0d9b26ce62554cbe45c948bc.jpg

Advertisement
Why was The Rock the guest picker for Colorado? Dont they have any famous alumni?

What about the Olympic Skier who played football at Colorado and was ruled ineligible by the NCAA for getting a skiing sponsorship so he could train for the Olympics. He would have been a perfect guest to have on.

Our entire program was built upon “look at me.” That’s what made us hated by conservative, main stream media, & beloved by others. ****, So Beach, Fla is a “look at me” culture.
Agree to disagree, but the Miami program was built on great, solid football and the "look at me", swag culture came later and again, with winning football. It started with getting Jim Kelly to come down here in '79, coming out of nowhere and beating #1 Penn State in 1981, and shocking the world in 1983 beating a Nebraska team many thought was one of the best of all time. No swag or "look at me" on those teams. JJ built the juggernaut of 1986 and the swag began in earnest, but again, with winning - Oklahoma, FSU, Florida (up until the TO fest in the Fiesta Bowl).

The only issue I have with Colorado is they're trying to microwave the swag. It took Miami 5 years of consistent winning and a NC to get to that level. Colorado was 1-11 last year. They beat TCU on the road, great. However, when the nation's lights were shining on them brightest, they have to eke out a win against Colorado State at home in double OT? For his sake, I hope Deion gets his team up for Oregon and USC because if they get their asses handed to them, he's going to look like the Seminole Rap Video Part II.

Advertisement
Yeah, and the last 20 pages of excusing & justifying this nonsense "because Deion's black, man!" needs to stop.

The only colors that matter are orange-green-and-white compared to everything else.

Michael, Dwayne, and Warren are Hurricanes. They have plenty of Hurricanes gear in their closets. I'm sure they have plenty of neutral-color logo-free clothing as well. You can wear a white shirt. You can wear a black shirt. You can wear a gray shirt.

But you don't have to wear Colorado logo merchandise or jerseys. Period. Full stop.

Has NOTHING to do with anyone's ethnicity or working relationships or "for the culture" or anything. Has to do with the school you played for, the school you have claimed to love and support and be loyal to for decades. As opposed to going on national TV or social media wearing someone else's logo. Because "promotional opportunties". Or because "I once interacted with the guy 10 years ago".

Where was the support for "black P5 coaches" for the dozens of other black coaches who have been given the opportunity previously? This is the FIRST GUY to get that job? Come on, now.

I know frontrunning when I see it. Just like when Michael Irvin showed up for the Final Four, even though I've never seen him at a UM basketball game ever. EVER. Not even in the 1980s, when we were playing in the Knight Center and I was at all the games and it was FREE for UM students...
Well said..........for me as die hard Cane alum.......everyone can be Canes, but when...... as Zo thinks the line was crossed to wear some other schools colors and promote said school.......then it should be shouted from the rooftops.....

What the **** are you doing?....wear a neutral shirt, say your shtick....but when that recruit watching the show says..."what the **** is going on with those Canes?".."why did Sanders say, did you hear what he said recruits?"......that is when Zo drew the line....and said "Nah, that ain't flyin" this is a kickoff toss of the coin moment and I am going to say what the ****!!

One question OCC and this is real.........IF Zo felt put out.....how do we feel Mario feels when his brothers are out there, and a contested recruit says..." I thought you Canes were loyal and had each others back, how come those Cane dudes were wearing Colorado gear?"...what does Mario say...."they were friends".....
I say...bull excrement.....
Zo is right....support but never cross the line from being a real Cane....

Why was The Rock the guest picker for Colorado? Dont they have any famous alumni?

What about the Olympic Skier who played football at Colorado and was ruled ineligible by the NCAA for getting a skiing sponsorship so he could train for the Olympics. He would have been a perfect guest to have on.
You just answered your own question when you described him instead of giving his name.

Although, I'm sure Kordell Stewart could have been available for a plane ticket, hotel room, and $50.

Advertisement
Ed was dead wrong in the way he communicated BCC shortcoming.

I remember him being a chief of staff at Miami and didn’t utter one negative thing about Miami despite and the admin being a **** sandwich

He could’ve communicated it differently, but what he said was 100% correct, and the students agreed.

Man, I’ve been staying away from the main boards for a minute b/c this spot has become way, too, toxic. However, I’m going to chime in & walk away from this.

1. Zo is in an admin position, now. There’s a way to handle a lot of stuff when u’re in leadership vs. being a former player. Sometimes when u post things publicly, it can have an adverse affect. Now, it’s giving Deion & CU more undue attention as it’s highlight more of the “Prime Effect” where former great players of a past rival school is spending their Saturday’s in Boulder vs. their Alma Mater. I agree w/ Zo sentiments, but would rather it had been via private messages vs. unintentionally adding to the hype machine.

2. I respect Deion as the player; I’ve said numerous times that I wish he & Derrick Brooks were Canes. Deion as person, I don’t know him. What I perceive is he’s a self glorifying hype machine, but that doesn’t mean he’s one as a person. What I do know is Deion, as a NFL legend was involved in youth football & came up the long way (pause) to become a P5 coach. That says something, if imma be honest.

3. @Canedude08 Ur sentiments sound good, but my ninja u constantly spit emotional facts on this board vs. facts. U never attended a HBCU, yet u said it needs to be protected. What I agree w/ u on is Deion saying God called him to the HBCU & he preyed on folks emotions by using such verbiage. That’s always been my biggest issue, not just w/ Deion, but w/ ppl in general saying it was their “calling” only to bounce at a better opportunity presented. HOWEVER, even w/ that being said, u have some things incorrect.

-We praised Richt for using his own funds to help get Miami Athletics step in to the 21st Century, yet Deion used his own funds & his connections to help JSU step into the 20th Century. No one talks about that

-Many HBCUs have been misappropriating funds for yrs. HBCU athletics have been their own worst enemy, which is y JSU have bled through Presidents. The Admin at JSU broke several promises towards Deion & his staff, where they wanted their hand out from the new found exposure, but wasn’t reinvesting to continue to grow. Deion said many times it wasn’t about the $$ for him, but he felt guilty that his staff wasn’t remotely making the $$ they deserve

-Do you not recall Ed Reed tearing BCU a new one for the ineptitude found w/in their admin?

-If u recall, almost immediately Deion’s personal items were stolen from him on campus.

-We praise coaches who go from FCS to G5 to P5 schools all the time, but Deion got an opportunity to expand his coaching portfolio, his sons’ NFL opportunities, and he’s villainized. Again, I agree he should’ve never brought God & his calling into the situation, but what he did was what other coaches have done for yrs, that includes going back to their Alma Maters just to get a bigger job.

4. Hate or love Deion, but what he’s done for CU’s image in yr 1 is unimaginable, **** near unfathomable. First off, CU was projected to win less than 3 games this yr by all the experts. The reason CU & Sanders is getting so much love & hype is b/c they went on the road against a Top 25 team (at the time) & punched them dead in the mouth. They were supposed to be blown out that game. If CU loses game 1, we don’t see this hype.

5. I find it hypocritical that Deion was lambasted for turning over CU’s roster, a roster that went 1-11 last year, & 14-28 over the previous 4 yrs, yet we praised Mario for telling parents to get their kids and pushing transfers from a roster that went 7-5 in 2021 and 28-21 over 4 yrs. The fact is, Colorado is a program that’s gone 89-152 over the past 20 yrs. Colorado is going to make more $$ in merchandise, media, and ticket sales this yr than their past 5 yrs combined. Whether u hate him or love him, that’s impressive. And yes, a roster change needed to happen, just like our roster needed overhauling. He took advantage of a NCAA rule

6. Mike Irvin & Deion are fa sho friends, & I know this factually. Warren was a colleague for many years w/ Deion on the NFLN, & was close to joining Deion’s staff at JSU. It’s now rumored he may be joining Deion’s staff at Colorado. The Rock & Deion bonded at UA. Both were ambassadors for the brand & Plank is a great friend to both. All 3 of those men are off in to the sunset of their lives. Was I upset they were at CU supporting Deion knowing this info? Nope. Was I taken aback seeing them rock CU gear? A lil, but it’s not like they were rocking Deion’s FSU jersey. If I saw that, I would’ve lost it.

7. CU may not be anything more than a hype train for 3 weeks. The media loves Deion now, but don’t think for one second they are not salivating to see CU lose their first game. Deion knows this as well

8. This board has been giving way too much undue attention to things or programs that have chit to do w/ us. One thing I do know is if Deion was a Cane, everything he does would be praised & justified. The reason I stop my association w/ the main board is due to a lot of disingenuous, hypocrite post. Plus, there’s no more OBJECTIVE discussions. It’s extreme on either side. For God’s sake, I peruse & I see @Tru C & @Suhrthing going back & forth, being Disrespectful AF on a simple subject about a guy who DON’T EVEN CLAIM FSU & haven’t wore that jersey in over 30 yrs.

At the end of the day, it USED to be all about The U, but now it’s become all about Deion, Norvell, Saban, Kiffin, former recruits, etc. etc.

Anyways, ya’ll can go back to ur regularly scheduled program of extending a non-starter topic about some old guys who are friends and former colleagues.

You’re calling @Canedude08 emotional but he’s accurately and objectively calling out the idolatry on both sides.

And you’re taking Deon’s side in the JSU vs. Sanders who paid for what, who fulfilled or broke their commitment… but I don’t think you have the inside information to make that judgment.

JSU even issued a statement that Deon didn’t fund the center he just donated “certain amenities he wanted”https://www.reckon.news/news/2022/1...ed-half-his-salary-to-jsu-is-a-prime-lie.html

That’s not in the same universe as what Richt did for Miami, to be clear.

The one thing that isn’t in doubt is that Deon’s claims of investing his own funds in JSU created a better return for Deon than JSU.

Advertisement
Back