BuffsInsight: The Coach Deion Sanders from JSU to Colorado Mega Thread

You can tell a lot about someone if they actually agree with that walrus Whitlock on anything. His tap dancing really does pay off for his desired demographic huh

awkward jay z GIF
Whitlock is the best in the biz and is about the only guy in sports who's willing to tell it like it is.

Advertisement
Yeah, and the last 20 pages of excusing & justifying this nonsense "because Deion's black, man!" needs to stop.

I dont think this happened? I am one of the few posters I think that has defended Deion being supported in the name of black advancement. But I was CLEAR that I felt what Zo said was CORRECT. I have said that in several posts now.

You can support Deion without doing what those guys were. So, I just want to clear this up. Zo said himself that HE supports Deion and posters have alluded to the fact Zo has expressed similar sentiments that I have.

The issue is that Deion is a conman, a dude that has NEVER, EVER given a **** about the culture or our people.

Is this really an issue? I've never heard it being an issue and if so, who voted on it being an issue?

Can we get a call from the cheap seats on whether or not this really IS an issue?

Advertisement
I dont think this happened? I am one of the few posters I think that has defended Deion being supported in the name of black advancement. But I was CLEAR that I felt what Zo said was CORRECT. I have said that in several posts now.

You can support Deion without doing what those guys were. So, I just want to clear this up. Zo said himself that HE supports Deion and posters have alluded to the fact Zo has expressed similar sentiments that I have.

I'm not calling you out. I'm pointing out how the thread has spiraled once the topic was introduced.

This has nothing to do with Deion. This is about Michael and Dwayne and Warren.

This has nothing to do with ethnicity. This is about supporting your school and not putting on the logos of any other schools.

This has nothing to do with the history of college coaching and opportunities. This is about three guys who SHOULD know better doing something stupid, and then being called on it by a fourth guy, all of whom are alums of the same great school and team.

Look the Rock loves Miami, we don't need to be reminded of how much money he's donated. But him going there and acting like an alum was ******* weird. Same with Irving. No need to defend it

Sapp we know is a ****boy, he doesn't count
Exactly. Warren would ***** himself out for a donut.

Whitlock is as much if a conman as anyone. He has an audience that he caters to and he has an audience that he knows how to rile up. All of it equals ratings. I don’t believe Whitlock is any more sincere than folks claim Deion is.
He isn’t. Whitlock is a hack, and he’s happy to occupy a space no self respecting man would want.

Advertisement
fyi - the rock was on smackdown with McAfee the night before (smackdown was in Denver). he was on game day with mcafee Saturday which was in Boulder. the rock then stayed for the CU game. Deion is bringing a fun atmosphere and is clearly a ratings draw whether you like him or not. people want to be around him and the program. hes also bringing a lot of nostalgia for older fans who loved those Cowboy teams (you know the one Irvin played on with Deion). dont see an issue. till the rock and his ex wife remove themselves from the UM BOT and stopped donating back, I wont worry about what a movie star who happens to be one of our biggest football alumni donors does 30-40 years or so removed from his playing days. you guys want to question Irvin? Irvin wont let his kid go anywhere else but UM if offered. hes as True of a cane as you can get. they were invited for a game and went to it and got free swag. its a fun environment. CU is gonna get exposed by USC and Oregon soon, but what hes done since he got there is pretty crazy. 8 mill plus are tuning into watch CU football which isnt a thing ever. they got game day over UF Tenn for CU CSU. theyre getting the big noon spot on Fox for USC-CU which wasn't a spot they'd be in last year or any other they'd play. hes a ratings machine. theyre not our rival and with our offense, were not losing many more kids to them.

Last edited:
Man, I’ve been staying away from the main boards for a minute b/c this spot has become way, too, toxic. However, I’m going to chime in & walk away from this.

1. Zo is in an admin position, now. There’s a way to handle a lot of stuff when u’re in leadership vs. being a former player. Sometimes when u post things publicly, it can have an adverse affect. Now, it’s giving Deion & CU more undue attention as it’s highlight more of the “Prime Effect” where former great players of a past rival school is spending their Saturday’s in Boulder vs. their Alma Mater. I agree w/ Zo sentiments, but would rather it had been via private messages vs. unintentionally adding to the hype machine.

2. I respect Deion as the player; I’ve said numerous times that I wish he & Derrick Brooks were Canes. Deion as person, I don’t know him. What I perceive is he’s a self glorifying hype machine, but that doesn’t mean he’s one as a person. What I do know is Deion, as a NFL legend was involved in youth football & came up the long way (pause) to become a P5 coach. That says something, if imma be honest.

3. @Canedude08 Ur sentiments sound good, but my ninja u constantly spit emotional facts on this board vs. facts. U never attended a HBCU, yet u said it needs to be protected. What I agree w/ u on is Deion saying God called him to the HBCU & he preyed on folks emotions by using such verbiage. That’s always been my biggest issue, not just w/ Deion, but w/ ppl in general saying it was their “calling” only to bounce at a better opportunity presented. HOWEVER, even w/ that being said, u have some things incorrect.

-We praised Richt for using his own funds to help get Miami Athletics step in to the 21st Century, yet Deion used his own funds & his connections to help JSU step into the 20th Century. No one talks about that

-Many HBCUs have been misappropriating funds for yrs. HBCU athletics have been their own worst enemy, which is y JSU have bled through Presidents. The Admin at JSU broke several promises towards Deion & his staff, where they wanted their hand out from the new found exposure, but wasn’t reinvesting to continue to grow. Deion said many times it wasn’t about the $$ for him, but he felt guilty that his staff wasn’t remotely making the $$ they deserve

-Do you not recall Ed Reed tearing BCU a new one for the ineptitude found w/in their admin?

-If u recall, almost immediately Deion’s personal items were stolen from him on campus.

-We praise coaches who go from FCS to G5 to P5 schools all the time, but Deion got an opportunity to expand his coaching portfolio, his sons’ NFL opportunities, and he’s villainized. Again, I agree he should’ve never brought God & his calling into the situation, but what he did was what other coaches have done for yrs, that includes going back to their Alma Maters just to get a bigger job.

4. Hate or love Deion, but what he’s done for CU’s image in yr 1 is unimaginable, **** near unfathomable. First off, CU was projected to win less than 3 games this yr by all the experts. The reason CU & Sanders is getting so much love & hype is b/c they went on the road against a Top 25 team (at the time) & punched them dead in the mouth. They were supposed to be blown out that game. If CU loses game 1, we don’t see this hype.

5. I find it hypocritical that Deion was lambasted for turning over CU’s roster, a roster that went 1-11 last year, & 14-28 over the previous 4 yrs, yet we praised Mario for telling parents to get their kids and pushing transfers from a roster that went 7-5 in 2021 and 28-21 over 4 yrs. The fact is, Colorado is a program that’s gone 89-152 over the past 20 yrs. Colorado is going to make more $$ in merchandise, media, and ticket sales this yr than their past 5 yrs combined. Whether u hate him or love him, that’s impressive. And yes, a roster change needed to happen, just like our roster needed overhauling. He took advantage of a NCAA rule

6. Mike Irvin & Deion are fa sho friends, & I know this factually. Warren was a colleague for many years w/ Deion on the NFLN, & was close to joining Deion’s staff at JSU. It’s now rumored he may be joining Deion’s staff at Colorado. The Rock & Deion bonded at UA. Both were ambassadors for the brand & Plank is a great friend to both. All 3 of those men are off in to the sunset of their lives. Was I upset they were at CU supporting Deion knowing this info? Nope. Was I taken aback seeing them rock CU gear? A lil, but it’s not like they were rocking Deion’s FSU jersey. If I saw that, I would’ve lost it.

7. CU may not be anything more than a hype train for 3 weeks. The media loves Deion now, but don’t think for one second they are not salivating to see CU lose their first game. Deion knows this as well

8. This board has been giving way too much undue attention to things or programs that have chit to do w/ us. One thing I do know is if Deion was a Cane, everything he does would be praised & justified. The reason I stop my association w/ the main board is due to a lot of disingenuous, hypocrite post. Plus, there’s no more OBJECTIVE discussions. It’s extreme on either side. For God’s sake, I peruse & I see @Tru C & @Suhrthing going back & forth, being Disrespectful AF on a simple subject about a guy who DON’T EVEN CLAIM FSU & haven’t wore that jersey in over 30 yrs.

At the end of the day, it USED to be all about The U, but now it’s become all about Deion, Norvell, Saban, Kiffin, former recruits, etc. etc.

Anyways, ya’ll can go back to ur regularly scheduled program of extending a non-starter topic about some old guys who are friends and former colleagues.

Last edited:
Whitlock is as much if a conman as anyone. He has an audience that he caters to and he has an audience that he knows how to rile up. All of it equals ratings. I don’t believe Whitlock is any more sincere than folks claim Deion is.
Even when I agree with these media types, I take it with a grain of salt. Once they see the hand that feeds them, it's all about clicks and views. It becomes impossible to know what they really believe (let alone the why/how).

Advertisement
fyi - the rock was on smackdown with McAfee the night before (smackdown was in Denver). he was on game day with mcafee Saturday which was in Boulder. the rock then stayed for the CU game. Deion is bringing a fun atmosphere and is clearly a ratings draw whether you like him or not. people want to be around him and the program. hes also bringing a lot of nostalgia for older fans who loved those Cowboy teams (you know the one Irvin played on with Deion). dont see an issue. till the rock and his ex wife remove themselves from the UM BOT and stopped donating back, I wont worry about what a movie star does 30-40 years or so removed from his playing days.
I don't think anyone was really upset at the Rock. It was more about Irvin and Sap. Let's see all these followers keep following after he takes his first L this weekend and loses his sht blaming anyone and everyone but himself. It's going to be fun....

Man, I’ve been staying away from the main boards for a minute b/c this spot has become way, too, toxic. However, I’m going to chime in & walk away from this.

1. Zo is in an admin position, now. There’s a way to handle a lot of stuff when u’re in leadership vs. being a former player. Sometimes when u post things publicly, it can have an adverse affect. Now, it’s giving Deion & CU more undue attention as it’s highlight more of the “Prime Effect” where former great players of a past rival school is spending their Saturday’s in Boulder vs. their Alma Mater. I agree w/ Zo sentiments, but would rather it had been via private messages vs. unintentionally adding to the hype machine.

2. I respect Deion as the player; I’ve said numerous times that I wish he & Derrick Brooks were Canes. Deion as person, I don’t know him. What I perceive is he’s a self glorifying hype machine, but that doesn’t mean he’s one as a person. What I do know is Deion, as a NFL legend was involved in youth football & came up the long way (pause) to become a P5 coach. That says something, if imma be honest.

3. @Canedude08 Ur sentiments sound good, but my ninja u constantly spit emotional facts on this board vs. facts. U never attended a HBCU, yet u said it needs to be protected. What I agree w/ u on is Deion saying God called him to the HBCU & he preyed on folks emotions by using such verbiage. That’s always been my biggest issue, not just w/ Deion, but w/ ppl in general saying it was their “calling” only to bounce at a better opportunity presented. HOWEVER, even w/ that being said, u have some things incorrect.

-We praised Richt for using his own funds to help get Miami Athletics step in to the 21st Century, yet Deion used his own funds & his connections to help JSU step into the 20th Century. No one talks about that

-Many HBCUs have been misappropriating funds for yrs. HBCU athletics have been their own worst enemy, which is y JSU have bled through Presidents. The Admin at JSU broke several promises towards Deion & his staff, where they wanted their hand out from the new found exposure, but wasn’t reinvesting to continue to grow. Deion said many times it wasn’t about the $$ for him, but he felt guilty that his staff wasn’t remotely making the $$ they deserve

-Do you not recall Ed Reed tearing BCU a new one for the ineptitude found w/in their admin?

-If u recall, almost immediately Deion’s personal items were stolen from him on campus.

-We praise coaches who go from FCS to G5 to P5 schools all the time, but Deion got an opportunity to expand his coaching portfolio, his sons’ NFL opportunities, and he’s villainized. Again, I agree he should’ve never brought God & his calling into the situation, but what he did was what other coaches have done for yrs, that includes going back to their Alma Maters just to get a bigger job.

4. Hate or love Deion, but what he’s done for CU’s image in yr 1 is unimaginable, **** near unfathomable. First off, CU was projected to win less than 3 games this yr by all the experts. The reason CU & Sanders is getting so much love & hype is b/c they went on the road against a Top 25 team (at the time) & punched them dead in the mouth. They were supposed to be blown out that game. If CU loses game 1, we don’t see this hype.

5. I find it hypocritical that Deion was lambasted for turning over CU’s roster, a roster that went 1-11 last year, & 14-28 over the previous 4 yrs, yet we praised Mario for telling parents to get their kids and pushing transfers from a roster that went 7-5 in 2021 and 28-21 over 4 yrs. The fact is, Colorado is a program that’s gone 89-152 over the past 20 yrs. Colorado is going to make more $$ in merchandise, media, and ticket sales this yr than their past 5 yrs combined. Whether u hate him or love him, that’s impressive. And yes, a roster change needed to happen, just like our roster needed overhauling. He took advantage of a NCAA rule

6. Mike Irvin & Deion are fa sho friends, & I know this factually. Warren was a colleague for many years w/ Deion on the NFLN, & was close to joining Deion’s staff at JSU. It’s now rumored he may be joining Deion’s staff at Colorado. The Rock & Deion bonded at UA. Both were ambassadors for the brand & Plank is a great friend to both. All 3 of those men are off in to the sunset of their lives. Was I upset they were at CU supporting Deion knowing this info? Nope. Was I taken aback seeing them rock CU gear? A lil, but it’s not like they were rocking Deion’s FSU jersey. If I saw that, I would’ve lost it.

7. CU may not be anything more than a hype train for 3 weeks. The media loves Deion now, but don’t think for one second they are not salivating to see CU lose their first game. Deion knows this as well

8. This board has been giving way too much undue attention to things or programs that have chit to do w/ us. One thing I do know is if Deion was a Cane, everything he does would be praised & justified. The reason I stop my association w/ the main board is due to a lot of disingenuous, hypocrite post. Plus, there’s no more OBJECTIVE discussions. It’s extreme on either side. For God’s sake, I peruse & I see @Tru C & @Suhrthing going back & forth, being Disrespectful AF on a simple subject about a guy who DON’T EVEN CLAIM FSU & haven’t wore that jersey in over 30 yrs.

At the end of the day, it USED to be all about The U, but now it’s become all about Deion, Norvell, Saban, Kiffin, former recruits, etc. etc.

Anyways, ya’ll can back to ur regularly scheduled program of extending a non-starter topic about some old guys who are friends and former colleagues.
There are different aspects to this. Taking aside any football/coaching abilities for a moment, most people don't like narcissistic "look at me" types of people. That's the core of the problem, IMO.

Advertisement

Anyways, ya’ll can back to ur regularly scheduled program of extending a non-starter topic about some old guys who are friends and former colleagues.
Good post Relly Rell. I always have a great deal of respect for you as a poster. I want to apologize to everyone else for my part in that awful display with @Suhrthing

I am not sorry for what I said to him per se but i am sorry for the display out in the open on the board. I don’t disrespect anyone unprovoked. I just don’t. And my pride got the best of me.

I don't think anyone was really upset at the Rock. It was more about Irvin and Sap. Let's see all these followers keep following after he takes his first L this weekend and loses his sht blaming anyone and everyone but himself. It's going to be fun....
Irvin played w him. hes a friend to Deion. you gonna be mad bc Irvin has friends beyond just who knows at UM? its a former teammate hes supporting. I dont see an issue there. it's diff if say Vilma was there who has no connection point to Deion (no UA, no gameday guest with McAfee, no playing day connection). Deion also doesn't rep our rival ever even tho hes one of their best players ever. outside of losing Cormani and Coleman to him, I dont Care what he does. what I do know is that I sat there and watched CU football till 2 am when I never would have

There are different aspects to this. Taking aside any football/coaching abilities for a moment, most people don't like narcissistic "look at me" types of people. That's the core of the problem, IMO.

Our entire program was built upon “look at me.” That’s what made us hated by conservative, main stream media, & beloved by others. ****, So Beach, Fla is a “look at me” culture.

Our entire program was built upon “look at me.”
you beat me to it. I had that typed up. Deion is doing what we did in the 80s and what Carroll did at USCw. he wont be as successful at CU as we were and USC was but it's not anything diff than what we've seen. people hated us bc we were all flash and swag in how we played and acted publicly.

Advertisement
Back