BuffsInsight: The Coach Deion Sanders from JSU to Colorado Mega Thread

Yes, former players on rivals can become friends. Especially if they moved on to the NFL and played together. Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks are friends, played together, won a SB together. They can certainly support one another. Even publicly.

Now, to be fair, these same players have been vocal in their support of the program. Johnson has been a donor, enough to name the locker room after him. That’s a multi-million dollar donation. Irvin is always repping Miami. Sapp, sort of, but no one asks him unless he‘s on the Rich Eisen Show. He was at least supporting former Canes making the HOF.

But wearing another school’s gear is over the line, especially one in direct competition with high school recruits and portal talent.
SN: I know a guy who took his official visits to UF, ND and FSU with Derrick Brooks and per him… Brooks really liked UM and heavily considered coming here.

Watching him here would’ve been fun

Advertisement
Advertisement
Rock sucking off Colorado, but when prompted by Rece about Miami he stumbles over himself for a minute before finally getting (paraphrasing) "uh, Mario is an offensive line guy and he's got the offensive line back..." ... man had to check his work after class and fist pumped that he got it right.

He's always been cool by me, but c'mon Uce. Get it together.

You can ride with your boy to help him out...but you got to still ride for us harder.
Did you ever see him in that feud with Cena a few years back? Cena went off script in a promo and buried him - it was brutal.

Did you ever see him in that feud with Cena a few years back? Cena went off script in a promo and buried him - it was brutal.
He's an incredible bull****ter, as is any professional wrestler, but he, a truly gifted one...but of late, our boy has gotten in too deep in Hollywoo. He's got that thousand mile stare and the lines of reality are all blended for him. Its like he's The Rock in THEY LIVE. Just pretending to be what it thinks Dwayne Johnson The Rock is supposed to act like in public. Hulk Hogan had that same thing to him until he legitimately had a (very public) breakdown. Whole life is a performance.

Remember Cena apologizing to the Chinese? Same look in his eyes. It gets everybody.

Advertisement
i love the short bus mother****ers posting that Highsmith shouldn’t post on social media and call them in person when Sapp, Irvin, and Johnson WERE on ******* television loving Colorado on behalf of a Seminole who claims to not be FSU.

Advertisement
I agree 100%. I don't like to see Sapp or Irvin or the Rock in Buffalo gear, unless maybe if they have a child at that school. But I don't think it is only about Deion being a friend, former colleague, teammate, or only about his super star status. Deion being a black coach PLUS all of the aforementioned is also part of the equation. Some people don't like it. It's clear they don't. Some people actually are very offended at the prospect of that, which I don't understand. It actually disgusts some people for a black man to blatantly say "I want to see Prime do well." Because you know, let's name some of the others: Kevin Sumlin, Randy Shannon, Charlie Strong, Freeman is at Notre Dame, Shaw, Herm Edwards. NONE of them, maybe except Sumlin or Shaw, have been able to generate the excitement he has. Results remain to be seen but he is off to a good start.

It's a real thing and I am struggling to see why it's wrong, when you consider the standing and history of black coaches in the power 5 ranks. Some are going to facepalm this post, disagree with it, dislike it. And I haven't the slightest idea why it would bother anyone.

Listen, whether it's Toney Dungy, Mike Tomlin, Doug Williams winning the super bowl, Barak Obama the presidency. It is going to generate excitement within our community.
I can’t disagree there isn’t a segment of society disliking Deion because of the color of his skin. It would be foolish of me to make such a claim. I wouldn’t presume to estimate what percentage of the dislike is racist or not. Like the ‘black quarterback’ I would hope the ‘black head coach’ is a thing of the past. I’m sure we’re not there yet. We don’t live any post-race of society, so we certainly don’t in sports.

I do believe some of the dislike is Deion’s shameless self-promoting. Sanders been that way since college. He has every right to do so. As head coach of Colorado it’s one way of promoting his school and attracting recruits. He is a master of media manipulation. I have no problem with it and I think it’s rather entertaining. Disliking this aspect of Deion is not in and of itself racist, in my opinion. The same fans disliking Deion can be fans of Mike Tomlin and how he carries himself. A lot of sports fans don’t care for the ‘look at me’ attitude prevalent in sports and our society. A lot of sports fans couldn’t care less.

I do believe some of the dislike is the shameless butt-kissing the media engages in on a daily basis. Before games, during games, post games, and between games. I suppose it’s their job. CFB is desperate for personalities and Deion provides that exponentially. I’ve posted in other threads the CFB media wants Miami ‘back’ because the Canes brought personality to the sport. After all, Miami invented swagger.

Listen, would the sports media be cranking the same hype engine for Kevin Sumlin if he had Colorado 3-0? Would Colorado even be ranked?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I can’t disagree there isn’t a segment of society disliking Deion because of the color of his skin. It would be foolish of me to make such a claim. I wouldn’t presume to estimate what percentage of the dislike is racist or not. Like the ‘black quarterback’ I would hope the ‘black head coach’ there’s a thing of the past. I’m sure we’re not there yet. We don’t live any post-race of society, so we certainly aren’t in sports.

I do believe some of the dislike is Deion’s shameless self-promoting. Sanders been that way since college. He has every right to do so. As head coach of Colorado it’s one way of promoting his school and attracting recruits. He is a master of media manipulation. I have no problem with it and I think it’s rather entertaining. Disliking this aspect of Deion in not in itself racist in my opinion. The same fans disliking Deion might be fans of Mike Tomlin and how he carries himself. A lot of sports fans don’t care for the ‘look at me’ attitude prevalent in our society. A lot of sports fans couldn’t care less.

I do believe some of the dislike is the shameless butt-kissing the media engages in on a daily basis. Before games, during games, post game, and between games. I suppose it’s their job. CFB is desperate for personalities and Deion provides that exponentially. I’ve posted in other threads the CFB media wants Miami ‘back’ because the Canes brought personality to the sport. After all, Miami invented swagger.

Listen, would the sports media be cranking the same hype engine for Kevin Sumlin if he had Colorado 3-0?
I have no problem with what Deion is doing. It’s a bit overboard being that they are gonna get their **** pushed in when they play a legit team so it’s all cute and a big story now but I agree with Zo. Gimme a break with the fawning over it from guys who should know better and know that this is a flash in the pan moment for Colorado.
It’s nauseating.
Travis Hunter can thank Prime for the shot he took last night. Doubt that happens without all the trash talk.
They are gonna get everything the deserve when they step foot on the field. Enjoy beating these average at best teams while you can because an awakening is coming soon.

Advertisement
Back