BuffsInsight: The Coach Deion Sanders from JSU to Colorado Mega Thread

Advertisement
another stepping stone for Prime. Two to three years from now if he’s successful you’ll see him at FSU or the SEC. Then possibly NFL if successful at one of those schools. He’s doing it the right way from high school up.
This

another stepping stone for Prime. Two to three years from now if he’s successful you’ll see him at FSU or the SEC. Then possibly NFL if successful at one of those schools. He’s doing it the right way from high school up.
Doing what the right way? Please tell me you are joking. A coach like Buddy Pough, that whipped Deion's *** in the Celebration Bowl last year is doing it the right way. The numerous guys working their way up the ladder, producing for multiple years at multiple stops are doing it the right way. Dude was a volunteer assistant at a diploma mill, his Prime Prep was fraudulent as ****. He then got mad that FSU wasn't going to hire someone with little relevant coaching experience to run their program(also didn't have a degree at the time), so he found a program that was desperate enough to do so and then made them into a "Last Chance U" type of program in regards to loading up with bouncebacks.

I give Deion credit, he can recruit, but let's be honest. The way he built JSU was unsustainable long term, and he knew it. He basically saw them as a means to an end, what happens after he left wasn't his problem. Hope CU realizes that Deion is going to try to pull the same thing there and if he is able to do his "Get the team respectable and then bail" act, CU will be right back at square one.

Colorado knows Prime is a 2-3 year rental, but they are at the place where they need "something" for that program. If Deion stocks the cupboard with talent and gets the school and its donors to pump big time money into the program, it will be a win-win for both parties. Now, Deion needs to show he can do this on a D-1 level.

Describe legit? Colorado is more bottom feeder than legit IMO.

By legit I mean they’ve been a long-term P5 program, yes they have been bottom feeders for I don’t know, 10 years, probably more, but this is a school that at one time was a legit player. They put out some guys.

I would say a comparison would be a school like maybe Kansas, it’s hard to win there, I can see how somebody could win in Colorado though. I don’t mean maybe national championship but may be content for the PAC once in a while if not very often obviously.

Also, it’s not like a terrible place to go to school. There are many P5 schools that are in way ****tier places.

Advertisement
Deion just wanted out of Jackson, I honestly don't think he cared who it was, dude had his agent linking him to **** near every P5 job that came up. The entire "I'm here for the culture, I'm here to elevate HBCUs" was a con. It was ALWAYS a con, dude wanted to get a P5 job despite having a super thin resume, outside of being a legendary player. FSU laughed him out of the room when he tried to interview for the job after Willie T got canned, dude didn't even have a degree at that point. He saw HBCUs as stupid/desperate enough to hire him with that resume, and they did.

I give him credit, he did find a way to get a bunch of FBS bouncebacks to buy in, get them to show up and dominate one of the weakest conferences in FCS. He won some recruiting battles, by finding a way to leverage his star power, but I've never been all that impressed by his actual coaching. Honestly, he just feels like a part time coach that fills the role while everyone else does the majority of the work. That doesn't fly in P5, and we're about to see what happens when a desperate program tries to win the press conference, instead of making a rational move. What Deion is hoping happens is that he can leverage the portal, get just enough talent in to get CU to bowl eligibility, to where he can move up even further in short order. That's the plan. He doesn't try to build programs to last, he just needs them to not be awful until he can leave for something better.
He went to JSU and showed the league the way. You have seen more HBCU football games televised more than ever this season. He called major tv networks and nfl scouts out for their lack of coverage and scouting of HBCU football. Then look what happened. Called for more black coaches to go to HBCU’s and you saw that with Eddie George and Cleveland’s old coach. Still a lot that refused to go and will continue to not go because the money and resources are not there at HBCU’s. That’s a conference and school issue. He came and did in 2 years what the conference and schools haven’t done since it’s existence. Now if we want this to continue coaches have to say I want to get from under these P5 coaches and make a name for myself like prime. Then that’s when the schools and conference need to sit down and say ok how can we keep these guys here. Because what do P5 schools do when they want to keep their coaches they give more money and/or resources

Deion would kill it anywhere in Florida. Colorado? Tough job. Not enough high school talent so you have to bring in a lot of out of state players.

I have no idea how he will fare as a coach, but he will be a pain in the **** on the recruiting front. Very charismatic dude and if he runs that Air Raid style offense he ran at JaxState, he will find talent across the country, including Florida.

Last edited:
He's going to be a pain in the *** in recruiting but thank God he didn't come to a Florida school. But I expect a TON of kids to transfer to Colorado and they will be drastically better. I think Dieon to FSU would've been a nightmare

Advertisement
Deion just wanted out of Jackson, I honestly don't think he cared who it was, dude had his agent linking him to **** near every P5 job that came up. The entire "I'm here for the culture, I'm here to elevate HBCUs" was a con. It was ALWAYS a con, dude wanted to get a P5 job despite having a super thin resume, outside of being a legendary player. FSU laughed him out of the room when he tried to interview for the job after Willie T got canned, dude didn't even have a degree at that point. He saw HBCUs as stupid/desperate enough to hire him with that resume, and they did.

I give him credit, he did find a way to get a bunch of FBS bouncebacks to buy in, get them to show up and dominate one of the weakest conferences in FCS. He won some recruiting battles, by finding a way to leverage his star power, but I've never been all that impressed by his actual coaching. Honestly, he just feels like a part time coach that fills the role while everyone else does the majority of the work. That doesn't fly in P5, and we're about to see what happens when a desperate program tries to win the press conference, instead of making a rational move. What Deion is hoping happens is that he can leverage the portal, get just enough talent in to get CU to bowl eligibility, to where he can move up even further in short order. That's the plan. He doesn't try to build programs to last, he just needs them to not be awful until he can leave for something better.

I agree totally with the very last part of your second paragraph, I’m sure in the back of his mind he’s got a plan that he hopes to execute where he’s out of there in two or three years to another higher profile P5 institution.

Having said that, and don’t think of this is a criticism because it isn’t, I’m reading just a little bit of anger from you in your post. Is it because of just the fact that he’s from a rival, or is it that you feel he was just using an HBCU and really didn’t care a whole lot about the culture.

Or maybe I’m just reading too much into it. But I’m honestly interested in your rationale for such strong disapproval.

Doing what the right way? Please tell me you are joking. A coach like Buddy Pough, that whipped Deion's *** in the Celebration Bowl last year is doing it the right way. The numerous guys working their way up the ladder, producing for multiple years at multiple stops are doing it the right way. Dude was a volunteer assistant at a diploma mill, his Prime Prep was fraudulent as ****. He then got mad that FSU wasn't going to hire someone with little relevant coaching experience to run their program(also didn't have a degree at the time), so he found a program that was desperate enough to do so and then made them into a "Last Chance U" type of program in regards to loading up with bouncebacks.

I give Deion credit, he can recruit, but let's be honest. The way he built JSU was unsustainable long term, and he knew it. He basically saw them as a means to an end, what happens after he left wasn't his problem. Hope CU realizes that Deion is going to try to pull the same thing there and if he is able to do his "Get the team respectable and then bail" act, CU will be right back at square one.
You think Kiffin left FAU in a sustainable position? You think Herman will when he moves on in 2 years? How will liberty do when Hugh Freeze leave? Most coaches taking jobs at these schools are doing one to two year turnarounds to move on to a bigger school but they ain’t the black so it ain’t wrong I guess

Advertisement
You think Kiffin left FAU in a sustainable position? You think Herman will when he moves on in 2 years? How will liberty do when Hugh Freeze leave? Most coaches taking jobs at these schools are doing one to two year turnarounds to move on to a bigger school but they ain’t the black so it ain’t wrong I guess

Pretty sure @Canedude08 ’s disapproval has nothing to do with race in the way you’re describing.

I agree totally with the very last part of your second paragraph, I’m sure in the back of his mind he’s got a plan that he hopes to execute where he’s out of there in two or three years to another higher profile P5 institution.

Having said that, and don’t think of this is a criticism because it isn’t, I’m reading just a little bit of anger from you in your post. Is it because of just the fact that he’s from a rival, or is it that you feel he was just using an HBCU and really didn’t care a whole lot about the culture.

Or maybe I’m just reading too much into it. But I’m honestly interested in your rationale for such strong disapproval.

What I have a problem with isn't him leaving, is him straight up lying to the people in the HBCU atmosphere. Those people have been desperate for a coach to really buy in, to see the potential in HBCU football(and there's a lot of it), and be willing to build a winner and STAY. Deion, due to him not needing the money, and having the ability to be a star no matter what was the kind of coach that they could rally around and support.

I saw the con from day 1, because I knew full well that Deion will always be about Deion, and the ONLY reason he even bothered with an HBCU was because no other program would be desperate enough to hire someone with that kind of pathetically weak resume(Even FSU told him to kick rocks). He used JSU and HBCU football to GTFO and that does bother me, I'm not going to lie. Maybe had he just come in and said "I'm here to build a winner, but I'm not going to lie, I want to coach at the FBS level", I wouldn't care. When you bring in God, when you bring in the rich history of HBCUs to further your own selfish crap, it comes off as phony as Creflo Dollar or TD Jakes.

I hope JSU leveraged Deion for as many facility and infrastructure improvements as possible, because I know they will be back to square one in the near future. Nothing he built outside of that was built to last.

Advertisement

So, you think this man's entire plan is to find someway to sucker derelict programs with the promise of positive press and wins...and then actually wins...so he can move up isn't good for everybody involved?

Pretty sure @Canedude08 ’s disapproval has nothing to do with race in the way you’re describing.
It doesn't, but don't let logic get in the way. Huge difference between Kiffin and Herman taking jobs that are obvious stepping stones, as career coaches, and Deion, a man that in theory is doing this as a hobby lying to a group of people that have gotten hosed for years. Deion could have easily been up front, but he chose not to, because he knew full well he needed JSU and that community to rally around him. He gave them hope, knowing full well that he had zero interest in staying, even though he could. That's what bothers me.

What I have a problem with isn't him leaving, is him straight up lying to the people in the HBCU atmosphere. Those people have been desperate for a coach to really buy in, to see the potential in HBCU football(and there's a lot of it), and be willing to build a winner and STAY. Deion, due to him not needing the money, and having the ability to be a star no matter what was the kind of coach that they could rally around and support.

I saw the con from day 1, because I knew full well that Deion will always be about Deion, and the ONLY reason he even bothered with an HBCU was because no other program would be desperate enough to hire someone with that kind of pathetically weak resume(Even FSU told him to kick rocks). He used JSU and HBCU football to GTFO and that does bother me, I'm not going to lie. Maybe had he just come in and said "I'm here to build a winner, but I'm not going to lie, I want to coach at the FBS level", I wouldn't care. When you bring in God, when you bring in the rich history of HBCUs to further your own selfish crap, it comes off as phony as Creflo Dollar or TD Jakes.

I hope JSU leveraged Deion for as many facility and infrastructure improvements as possible, because I know they will be back to square one in the near future. Nothing he built outside of that was built to last.

I can totally respect where you’re coming from. Your character analysis of Deion may be right on the money, honestly from where I sit, it seems to be. But he would not be the first or the last coach to use an institution like that, although this one hits personally. Thanks for your response.

I just don't see the culture fit in Boulder. Not even close.

NOW, Prime wins there, or at least makes them respectable, he'll be a lock for a big, big, big D1P5 opening after.

He's betting on himself.

Advertisement
Back