Bubba McDowell....

MedleyCane

Senior
from Footballscoop.com....

Prairie View A&M (FCS – TX): With Willie Simmons off to Florida A&M, Prairie View has now
announced Bubba McDowell will serve as acting head coach until a new head coach is announced.

Advertisement
Congrats to Bubba.

He was a good one at Miami and did well in the NFL, too.

Prairie View A&M (FCS – TX): With Willie Simmons off to Florida A&M, Prairie View has now
announced Bubba McDowell will serve as acting head coach until a new head coach is announced.

Congrats to Bubba.

He was a good one at Miami and did well in the NFL, too.

Yep.
Just a good football player and apparently a very good person off the field.

Advertisement
Canes used to dip into Brevard regularly. Bubba and 3-4 others from Merritt Island, and a handful of others from MCC, Eau Gallie, Sattellite etc.

Good for Bubba, hopefully He gets the permanent gig.

And good for FAMU, they got a good one in Simmons...coincendentally He's replacing Alex Wood, who coached RBs at UM under Erickson.

Bubba would've been worth an assistants' salary to coach our Special Teams for the last 15 years! Our ST's are almost always crap, regardless of the HC.

Advertisement
Good for Bubba.

For those who follow Black College Football, I think Prairie View A&M is waiting until after the Celebration Bowl to speak with Eric Dooley for their HC position. Dooley is a veteran coach with almost 25 years coaching experience at the college level. Currently, he is the OC at Grambling State University. I expect Dooley to take that position if offered. I've heard also that Arkansas Pine Bluff wants to speak to Dooley as well.

Good for Bubba.

For those who follow Black College Football, I think Prairie View A&M is waiting until after the Celebration Bowl to speak with Eric Dooley for their HC position. Dooley is a veteran coach with almost 25 years coaching experience at the college level. Currently, he is the OC at Grambling State University. I expect Dooley to take that position if offered. I've heard also that Arkansas Pine Bluff wants to speak to Dooley as well.

Dooley is a solid coach.
A rising star, IMO.

I also like the Grambling DC, Everett Todd.
He runs a 3-3-5 defense and is the Dline coach, averaging 4 sacks per game.
Very similar defense to what his mentor Rocky Long ran at San Diego State.

Good for Bubba.

Dooley is a solid coach.
A rising star, IMO.

Indeed. Coach Fobbs put together a really good staff. Their defense did to the SWAC what our defense did to the ACC in terms of tackles for loss and sacks. NCCU has announced that Jerry Mack has stepped down after winning an unprecedented number of games at NCCU and MEAC titles (three - two of which were co-titles). He's headed to Rice to be the OC. Smart move on his part. Wish him success. NCCU is also in need of a coach, but word is that they are going to go with their interim through next season. I was hoping they would make a run at Dawson Odums, current coach at Southern. I like Odums as a coach, but he is yet to be Grambling. Knowing Jaguar Nation as I do, I think he must when the Bayou Classic next season to keep his job. I believe that would be four straight for the Tigers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Good for Bubba.

Dooley is a solid coach.
A rising star, IMO.

Indeed. Coach Fobbs put together a really good staff. Their defense did to the SWAC what our defense did to the ACC in terms of tackles for loss and sacks. NCCU has announced that Jerry Mack has stepped down after winning an unprecedented number of games at NCCU and MEAC titles (three - two of which were co-titles). He's headed to Rice to be the OC. Smart move on his part. Wish him success. NCCU is also in need of a coach, but word is that they are going to go with their interim through next season. I was hoping they would make a run at Dawson Odums, current coach at Southern. I like Odums as a coach, but he is yet to be Grambling. Knowing Jaguar Nation as I do, I think he must when the Bayou Classic next season to keep his job. I believe that would be four straight for the Tigers.

Yeah, Mack did a nice job at Central.
Young dude too.
Good for him.

NCCU has announced that Jerry Mack has stepped down after winning an unprecedented number of games at NCCU and MEAC titles (three - two of which were co-titles). He's headed to Rice to be the OC. Smart move on his part. Wish him success.

Good hire for Rice & Bloomgren. Love the HBCUFB talk, keep it comin' fellas.

Advertisement
NCCU has announced that Jerry Mack has stepped down after winning an unprecedented number of games at NCCU and MEAC titles (three - two of which were co-titles). He's headed to Rice to be the OC. Smart move on his part. Wish him success.

I mentioned this on a similar thread on another Cane forum, but I am surprised no one has written a book on the
history of HBCU athletics, not just highlighting football, but athletics in general and the history of the schools
altogether.
Lots of material there, but you need a good writer.

As for the HBCUs these days, the quality of football has obviously declined as segregation has declined or ended
altogether, which is a good thing overall, but these schools still provide opportunities for not only minorities, but former
players who want to get into coaching.

I mentioned this on a similar thread on another Cane forum, but I am surprised no one has written a book on the
history of HBCU athletics, not just highlighting football, but athletics in general and the history of the schools
altogether.
Lots of material there, but you need a good writer.

As for the HBCUs these days, the quality of football has obviously declined as segregation has declined or ended
altogether, which is a good thing overall, but these schools still provide opportunities for not only minorities, but former
players who want to get into coaching.

There's a pretty good book on Jake Gaither & Eddie Robinson, Breaking The Line: The Season In Black College Football.

That book feautures the season FAMU played Tampa U...that game was actually the first game where an HBCU played a PWI. Fran Curci, former UM QB & HC, coached the Tampa team.

As far as integration...the players that matriculated to the PWIs benefited, but the advancement of HBCU coaches has been at a snails pace, but good to see there's some more movement on that front with Mack to Rice.

Congrats Bubba.

Grew up with Bubba's younger brother Shaun. I remember when he and Eric Ham signed out of Merritt Island. That started a string of players who played for Miami, I wanna say 8-9 years in a row. Hurlie Brown, Darryl Spencer, Derrick Ham.

Advertisement
Back