Bubba and Tory

New member here. Not really sure why I'm posting this except maybe for nostalgia. I grew up in a small dusty west Texas town about as far away as one can be from Miami hurricanes football. Flat land. Oil fields. Wind. Tumbleweeds. About all there was. Little did I know I was going to grow up with a Hurricanes legend and another guy who should've been. I lived 5 houses down from Tory Mitchell and one street over from Bubba Franks. Growing up we would play street football with Bubba, Tory and all the neighborhood kids. In fact, I almost singlehandedly ended Bubba's football career before it started. We were in the street one day him and I throwing passes to each other. He went deep and ended up running into the intersection where an old El Camino sped by and hit Bubba as he was jumping for the ball. He cartwheeled a good five feet into the air. I thought he was dead lol. He miraculously popped back up with only a slight limp. Honestly there was nothing at that time that made me think Bubba would end up in Miami, let alone the NFL. As far as street ball was concerned, he wasn't really very good at all. Go figure.

Tory o the other hand, that guy could've been something. He was talk, skinny, fairly quiet. Did a **** of a Michael Jackson dance impression and boy was he FAST. He was a son of a ***** to stop at two hand touch street ball. He had some juke to him, but that straight line speed was otherworldly. Even as kids, I knew he wasn't normal. Kids, **** adults didn't run that fast. He still may be the fastest kid to ever play QB at any level. As a DB in high school, I saw him run down future Bills RB Shaud Williams from 35 yds back. And Shaud was no slouch. Sorry, I know this is long. I often wonder what might've happened with Tory if things had worked out at Miami. If he hadn't come home, perhaps he wouldn't be been murdered by the coward who shot him in the back. Anyway, RIP Tory Mitchell, from Bluebird St back in Big Spring bro.

Advertisement
welcome aboard

AppropriateRingedBasilisk-size_restricted.gif

Sad about Tory. He was so fast. I guess he went back to Texas Tech but I guess had neither a track nor much of a football career after he left UM. Guess he was homesick. Did not know Bubba and Tory were from same neighborhood.

We had some tragedy befall our best recruits from Texas. Caesar O'Neil was a USA Today A-A DL but never played a down at UM. Think it was brain cancer.

Last edited:
Advertisement
New member here. Not really sure why I'm posting this except maybe for nostalgia. I grew up in a small dusty west Texas town about as far away as one can be from Miami hurricanes football. Flat land. Oil fields. Wind. Tumbleweeds. About all there was. Little did I know I was going to grow up with a Hurricanes legend and another guy who should've been. I lived 5 houses down from Tory Mitchell and one street over from Bubba Franks. Growing up we would play street football with Bubba, Tory and all the neighborhood kids. In fact, I almost singlehandedly ended Bubba's football career before it started. We were in the street one day him and I throwing passes to each other. He went deep and ended up running into the intersection where an old El Camino sped by and hit Bubba as he was jumping for the ball. He cartwheeled a good five feet into the air. I thought he was dead lol. He miraculously popped back up with only a slight limp. Honestly there was nothing at that time that made me think Bubba would end up in Miami, let alone the NFL. As far as street ball was concerned, he wasn't really very good at all. Go figure.

Tory o the other hand, that guy could've been something. He was talk, skinny, fairly quiet. Did a **** of a Michael Jackson dance impression and boy was he FAST. He was a son of a ***** to stop at two hand touch street ball. He had some juke to him, but that straight line speed was otherworldly. Even as kids, I knew he wasn't normal. Kids, **** adults didn't run that fast. He still may be the fastest kid to ever play QB at any level. As a DB in high school, I saw him run down future Bills RB Shaud Williams from 35 yds back. And Shaud was no slouch. Sorry, I know this is long. I often wonder what might've happened with Tory if things had worked out at Miami. If he hadn't come home, perhaps he wouldn't be been murdered by the coward who shot him in the back. Anyway, RIP Tory Mitchell, from Bluebird St back in Big Spring bro.

Good stuff, man. Only the old heads will know who Tory Mitchell is. He was barely on campus and unless you followed recruiting or attended practice back in the day, you would never have heard of him. Thankfully, I was able to watch some practice in August of 99. Saw him effortlessly cover Santana - there were even fly patterns where Santana would streak and Mitchell was just gliding out there - his speed was unmatched.

He is probably the fastest kid ever to sign with us - 10.1 100m kid in HS. World class speed. RIP.

Advertisement
The only player for US I can recall who was this kind of fast would be our current analyst DVD.

Advertisement
Sad about Tory. He was so fast. I guess he went back to Texas Tech but I guess had neither a track nor much of a football career after he left UM. Guess he was homesick. Did not know Bubba and Tory were from same neighborhood.

We had some tragedy befall our best recruits from Texas. Caesar O'Neil was a USA Today A-A DL but never played a down at UM. Think it was brain cancer.

Awesome video, sir. I believe in that video it shows Tory running down Shaud Williams. It's sad indeed..he was definitely a different kind of cat. Very introspective, in his head a lot. You're right, it's extra sad.to lose young people with athletic potential. RIP to Caesar as well.

Good stuff, man. Only the old heads will know who Tory Mitchell is. He was barely on campus and unless you followed recruiting or attended practice back in the day, you would never have heard of him. Thankfully, I was able to watch some practice in August of 99. Saw him effortlessly cover Santana - there were even fly patterns where Santana would streak and Mitchell was just gliding out there - his speed was unmatched.

He is probably the fastest kid ever to sign with us - 10.1 100m kid in HS. World class speed. RIP.
Awesome story sir. Imagine being a fat little Mexican kid like me trying to "cover" him in street ball. He was unearthly. I did "sack" him once. My greatest athletic feat lol.

Advertisement
Awesome video, sir. I believe in that video it shows Tory running down Shaud Williams. It's sad indeed..he was definitely a different kind of cat. Very introspective, in his head a lot. You're right, it's extra sad.to lose young people with athletic potential. RIP to Caesar as well.
I like that beat too!

Advertisement
Back